Naval Warfare

Discussion in 'Videos, Screenshots and other Artwork' started by HighBeam9000, Sep 9, 2022.

1. a plane guy

a plane guy
    Expand Collapse

I dont think it does

2. SmokeyDokey

SmokeyDokey
    Expand Collapse

Considering the AI can't actually fly planes normally, I think you're right. Do you know of any other ways to get to the same result as AI pathing would provide?

If not, the only other way would be multiplayer. Me and a friend tried it already, and it does work (sometimes).

3. a plane guy

a plane guy
    Expand Collapse

All i can think off is spawning 2 planes, getting one of the planes to fly manually and then hold a certain turn angle so the plane keeps flying (in a circle or straight line or whatever) with a controller, then tab switch to a different vehicle. All i can think of right now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. HighBeam9000

HighBeam9000
    Expand Collapse

I tried the Script AI Manager last night, and it appears that it creates a path for the AI to drive a standard land vehicle (cars, trucks, etc.). The player presses the Record button and starts driving. Then, during playback, the AI tries to follow the path. It's seems to be similar to normal AI paths on maps. It doesn't appear to work like Replay.

I'm going to take an internal look at the Replay UI app and see what makes it tick. Maybe there's a way to create another app that works in the same way, but will only try to control certain vehicles, leaving other vehicles free for the player to control while some do playback.
    --- Post updated ---
    I'm looking in /ui/modules/apps/Replay/app.js, and I found functions like bngApi.engineLua('core_replay.toggleRecording(true)');

It appears there's a core replay module that might have what we need, as long as functions for recording and playing back individual vehicles are broken out. If the only exposed functions deal with a set of vehicles as a whole rather than individually, then the job difficulty is higher.
    --- Post updated ---
    The function toggleRecording calls the function ui_message("replay.startRecording", 5, "replay", "local_movies") to start recording, which internally calls guihooks.message. It appears that the replay functionality is buried in the engine, and it records everything as a whole. I'll look around a little bit more later this evening, but individual vehicle replays might be a very tall order indeed.

• Like Like x 1
  5. HighBeam9000

HighBeam9000
    Expand Collapse

I fixed the steam generator for the ANSTOL-12 front landing gear. When I disabled engine smoke, the steam stopped sputtering and ran continuously. It would seem that there are only so many particles to go around, and the engine smoke was utilizing a lot of them. The ANSTOL-12 has successfully been launched with the carrier steam catapult illusion:

I tried piloting the Avro Arrow. If it's landed in any other way besides pillow-soft, it shatters. I have an uncalibrated STOL conversion kit that I can bolt to it, but it's very hard to keep the nose up at low speed. The Avro needs some canards up front.

6. HighBeam9000

HighBeam9000
    Expand Collapse

I managed to get some sea spray from a supercarrier at sunset:

There's a particle limit of some sort, so I could only put sea spray on one side, and not even all the way to the back, but it might be enough for some filming from just that one side. I haven't written a script to drop the particles into the scene, but that will be incorporated into the MSPG Helicarrier mod soon (see Naval Warfare post #159).

7. TroLLeX_

TroLLeX_
    Expand Collapse

BeamMP is getting such a feature. Im developing that, including a timeline feature where you can tell when to play what recording - or to enhance recordings with extra vehicles/props.

• Like Like x 2
  8. HighBeam9000

HighBeam9000
    Expand Collapse

Nice! I'm looking forward to trying it out. Is it like Replay, where it will play back whatever I do with a vehicle, including planes? (Please say "yes"...) :D

9. TroLLeX_

TroLLeX_
    Expand Collapse

I havent tested it with planes yet. But it should work with them. It pretty much just replays whatever you did when it got recorded

• Like Like x 2
  10. HighBeam9000

HighBeam9000
    Expand Collapse

I built a Naval Warfare recruitment video, sort-of, but not the one you think:

Two words: air boss :cool:

• Like Like x 3
  11. SmokeyDokey

SmokeyDokey
    Expand Collapse

This is a flat-out masterpiece. This has to work!

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. HighBeam9000

HighBeam9000
    Expand Collapse

I think so, too. Everybody's got the need, the need for speed!

Mach 2? Check.
    Hair on fire? Check.

• Like Like x 2
  13. jackmo2207

jackmo2207
    Expand Collapse

My favourite US millitary vehicle, the Civetta Bolide :cool:

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. HighBeam9000

HighBeam9000
    Expand Collapse

Yep. I have fond memories of flight training with the STOL version: The Mk I STOLide.

The version seen in Top Beam is the rocket-only version: The Mk II STOLideRO. It's been rigged to use rockets for propulsion in all modes. The engine, transmission, differentials and driveshafts have all been removed, drastically reducing weight. This reduces wing loading, giving a tighter turn radius and a 30-mph aerodynamic stall speed. With extreme care and precision, it can be operated for a very short time in STOVL or even VTOL modes. :)

Note that also have Messerschmitt ME262s and Antinov AN-12s in our inventory. :D ...and they're all STOL-equipped.

#194 HighBeam9000, Dec 13, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  15. bussin.buses

bussin.buses
    Expand Collapse

now you need a fpu wydra with wings and a stol conversion!
    but actually, the stambecco could be good for a bridge. maybe mount a gun in the back of the army truck 6x6, or in the back of the ambulance box (minus the ambulance lights and skin, ofc)

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. jackmo2207

jackmo2207
    Expand Collapse

Yes, then it could truly conquer all terrain

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. SmokeyDokey

SmokeyDokey
    Expand Collapse

FPU Flydra? Would be perfect for the BeamNG.Navy!

• Like Like x 2
  18. HighBeam9000

HighBeam9000
    Expand Collapse

"Flydra"... Niccccccce! :D

I wonder if we can transplant STOLide swingwings and tail onto a Wydra to yield a Flydra... A Frankencar of sorts... We should to compare the weight of the STOLide to the weight of the Wydra. That should give us an idea if such a transplant would work. Those weight pads are handy for stuff like this.

If the Wydra is significantly heavier than the STOLide, I wonder if we can lengthen the wings for more surface area or something like that. I think we could affect that just by scooting nodes further out. Hmmm...

• Like Like x 2
  19. bussin.buses

bussin.buses
    Expand Collapse

No, just make the wings’ jbeam, no mesh, it would be funnier to see a stock-looking wydra flying around

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Mikah 01

Mikah 01
    Expand Collapse

An Idea came Into my mind : your STOLide doesen't have rocket fuel anymore and you're stuck on an isle ? Then , take a electric STOLide !

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice