Naval Warfare

Discussion in 'Videos, Screenshots and other Artwork' started by HighBeam9000, Sep 9, 2022.

1. HighBeam9000

HighBeam9000
    Expand Collapse

With a few modifications, the Flat Top Barge is good for building flat naval vessels. It pairs nicely with a mobile version of the Phoulkon CIWS and other mods:

If anybody decides to have a massive naval battle, please record it, post the video, and post a link to the vid in this thread. I'd love to see how crazy that could get!

• Like Like x 3
  2. Car8john

Car8john
    Expand Collapse

By far the coolest concept ive seen for beamng, props to landing the bolide on a moving aircraft carrier, that can definitely be a challenge

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. SmokeyDokey

SmokeyDokey
    Expand Collapse

Now this is awesome, I wonder if i can make a carrier that would allow for the ME262 to operate... and how could I do the stopping netting?

4. HighBeam9000

HighBeam9000
    Expand Collapse

Thank you. The Bolide STOL seems easier for me to fly than most other aircraft. Without a catapult or arresting gear, most other planes can't take off or land on a short carrier. Bigger carriers can be built to land aircraft with higher stall speeds (ME262), but my PC isn't strong enough to run that many barges without dropping to 10 FPS or worse. Maybe we'll get lucky and some folks with powerhouse machines will build some cool naval skirmish film for us to see! :)
    --- Post updated ---
    Thank you.

I'm not a good ME262 pilot anyway, so I'd probably sink the carrier trying to land on it. ;)

I tried to run an experiment, where I spawned an ME262 and as many barges as I could until my frame rate became intolerable. My target was a line of barges the same length as the Italy airport runway. I didn't even manage to get a single-wide airstrip built. Even if I did manage to assemble one runway's length of floating airstrip, I would need a double-wide strip to keep from bouncing off the side. I'm a baaaaad ME262 pilot. I attached an aerial photo of the line of barges I built. It's a lot of barges, but not nearly enough.
    upload_2022-9-9_14-37-49.png

Adding thrust reversers to the ME262 would help it slow down after landing, but a long carrier would still be required for takeoff. Maybe soup-up the engines? Hmmm... I wonder if the "Inflated Mat" can be used to stop planes... The carrier deck would have to be large enough to carry it. If you try the inflated mat method, you might be careful to not let the inflated mat fall into the water. I checked to see if the mat floated, and it seemed to float for a short while before it sank then paused the game with an instability.

#4 HighBeam9000, Sep 9, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2022
  5. Mikah 01

Mikah 01
    Expand Collapse

Air carrier have special feature for plane take-off

6. SmokeyDokey

SmokeyDokey
    Expand Collapse

They do have special prototype me262 engines in-game with more than double the power and mini rockets. I'll give it a toss later today.

I bet my pigeon that I can pull it off 20220910_105828.jpg

7. HighBeam9000

HighBeam9000
    Expand Collapse

The carrier doesn’t have any special equipment for aircraft launch or recovery. The carrier has to be long enough for the plane to takeoff and land normally. However, takeoff and landing distance is reduced if the carrier is moving because it creates a headwind. Also, the Hyper Bolide that I’m using in the video has been modified for use on short carriers.
    --- Post updated ---
    Please record a video of it and post a link here! An ME262 carrier takeoff and landing would be another BeamNG first! Such a carrier would certainly be massive enough to be worthy of the name “Leviathan”.

#7 HighBeam9000, Sep 11, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2022
  8. Mikah 01

Mikah 01
    Expand Collapse

1. I was talking about irl air carrier

2. I think it used too be some Sword of bungee cord Attached to the plane's front wheel . I Can't explain anything other than that as i forget how it work.

9. SmokeyDokey

SmokeyDokey
    Expand Collapse

I'VE DONE IT
    IT TOOK DAMN NEAR 20 ATTEMPS, BUT I'VE DONE IT
    BEAM.NG FIRST MATES
    It won't upload, let me keep trying
    --- Post updated ---
    uploaded :D

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 5
  10. HighBeam9000

HighBeam9000
    Expand Collapse

Right on.

I wonder if the rollover sled can be modified to serve as a catapult... That would help takeoff.

Then the only issue left is how to catch a landing...
    --- Post updated ---
    Those are crazy AWESOME pilot skills, and that's a very long, very skinny carrier, but it worked! You have become LEGEND as the first pilot to launch and land an ME262 on a barge carrier! Very well done!

Yeah, I'm not that smooth. I would've ended up in the drink way more than 20 times, takeoffs and landings. :)

• Like Like x 1
  11. SmokeyDokey

SmokeyDokey
    Expand Collapse

Thanks! :D
    I had figured out that the 'carrier' wasn't actually perfectly straight, and it wasn't moving... maybe I'll do it again and have it move AND be slightly shorter later today...
    --- Post updated ---
    I've just figured out both possibly... two runways, the landing and the takeoff.

Takeoff - Rollover sled with the rope mod. Attach the rope to the plane, and it should break by itself. If not, despawn it after the plane takes off

Landing - Some types of tall tower-type things with multiple ropes across to catch the plane. Don't know how to do the tower thing though...

12. HighBeam9000

HighBeam9000
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, go for it!

Landing on a moving carrier should be easier due to the headwind generated by the motion. If the carrier is kinda bendy, it might be easier to use the lead barge to pull the carrier rather than the last barge pushing.

Or, you could distribute the forces and have each barge provide a portion of the propulsion. The downside of that idea is that you'd have to go to each barge, one-by-one, and fire up each of their engines. Then, in order to stop the carrier, you'd have to run to each barge and shut down their engines. Even then, that BIG boat gonna drift a little bit after shutdown.

Also, can that carrier turn without overstressing the structure? I'm a bit concerned about that. I've overstressed smaller carriers. If the long carrier does suffer a structural failure, an additional row or two of barges could provide the needed reinforcement.

Have you named that boat? :)

Towers on a boat... I don't know if this will work, but if you might try the following:
    (1) Make a copy of the streetlight (content/streetlight.zip).
    (2) Edit the copy to change any nodes from "fixed":true to "fixed":false so they can move with the boat.
    (3) Use the node grabber to lash the streetlights' bases to the deck.
    There's a significant chance that the streetlight won't hold up, and it will just tip over.

#12 HighBeam9000, Sep 12, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  13. SmokeyDokey

SmokeyDokey
    Expand Collapse

Hmmm, good ideas, I'll need to remember those...
    And yep, the boat's name is Gigantic Jimmy.
    And the next one, which will be better overall (and wider) will be the Wentward AAC5000 (Barge-Carrier MK1) (or something like that)
    --- Post updated ---
    Maybe the inflatable mat idea is better than this

• Like Like x 1
  14. HighBeam9000

HighBeam9000
    Expand Collapse

That's funny. :) I was just thinking that Slim Jim might be a good name, especially if its length makes it prone to snapping. ("Snap into a Slim Jim")

Something to try: Connect enough barges together to support the inflatable mat, then just land right into it. Maybe you don't even need a runway for this landing method. I don't know if the plane is usable after that, but it would be interesting if it worked.

#14 HighBeam9000, Sep 12, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  15. SmokeyDokey

SmokeyDokey
    Expand Collapse

Literally the perfect name lol
    Just figured out a solution to the snapping - more overlapping of the barges. The more they overlap, the stronger they are.
    I dunno what my computer's limit is though, I had 60 fps and no lag while doing the landing challenge
    will try the inflatable mat, great idea

• Like Like x 1
  16. HighBeam9000

HighBeam9000
    Expand Collapse

60 fps no lag with that much gear spawned?? Nice! You could build a HUGE flat top and still have a good frame rate!

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. SmokeyDokey

SmokeyDokey
    Expand Collapse

That I'll have to do now... with multiple parked planes... and an inflatible mat for stopping (Takeoff is fine, Not too much distance is needed)
    --- Post updated ---
    This is my pc's limit though, so I may only be able to have around 2 parked planes (Max graphics, about 5-10 fps, traffic disabled)
    --- Post updated ---
    screenshot_2022-09-11_20-51-45.png

18. HighBeam9000

HighBeam9000
    Expand Collapse

@SmokeyDokey , do you mind if I post your takeoff and landing vids on YouTube, with FULL piloting credits to Capt. SmokeyDokey, of course. :cool:
    ?

19. SmokeyDokey

SmokeyDokey
    Expand Collapse

HECK YEAH, just crop out anything like the taskbar and crap
    Post it here if you do :D

20. HighBeam9000

HighBeam9000
    Expand Collapse

AWESOME!

I just checked, and there is no taskbar or anything else showing besides pure, undiluted BeamNG.

Do you have a preference regarding background music? It'll probably be some kind of rock; something that's infused with a hefty quantity of "jet fighter".

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice