My GMC K10 from 1969

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by TheShipMaster, Feb 17, 2017.

1. TheShipMaster

TheShipMaster
    Expand Collapse

I just recently started working on my fathers old GMC its is NOT in running condition at all but a lot of the electrics work the Flashers and the brake lights and the interior light also one headlight. it was a cassette radio that isn't hooked up to the main battery. the windows roll down fine. the door seals are Rotten so its isn't exactly water proof. the windshield wipers work too here are some pictures
    --- Post updated ---
    also the air works

Attached Files:

• IMG_20170214_182319.jpg
    • IMG_20170214_182304.jpg
    • IMG_20170214_182240.jpg
    • IMG_20170214_182243.jpg
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Node

Node
    Expand Collapse

Do you have a garage or a shed to work on it so it doesnt rain and cause more damage otherwise incredibly cool truck to see and im really looking forward to know what plans you have for it :)

3. TheShipMaster

TheShipMaster
    Expand Collapse

i don't really have anything to put it under sadly but I would like to get it repainted and get some new seals

• Like Like x 1
  4. Peterbilt

Peterbilt
    Expand Collapse

Many questions incoming.

Factory K10 or a Napco conversion? What trans does it have? Are you familiar with decoding the factory GM RPO codes?

Why doesn't it run? You can make an SBC run with a brick and a shoelace.
    You say the air works, I highly doubt that, as you say it doesn't run, and, there is no AC compressor.

If you want, I'm fairly certain I could walk you though getting that thing running in no time.

And on a un-related note, is that the Big Fitz as your avatar?

5. TheShipMaster

TheShipMaster
    Expand Collapse

yes that is the Big fitz and if I hook up a battery the FAN works i didn't mean A/C I would say factory because my dad bought it from someone in 93' and it looks stock I do not know the transmission I don't even know the gears are it isn't labeled but it is a Manuel it doesn't run because well we took the starter off to get repaired.
    --- Post updated ---
    sorry that I answered them out of order IDK why
    --- Post updated ---
    also if you want more photos I can take more of certain parts of the truck
    --- Post updated ---
    only thing I think isn't factory is the tires and rims

6. Peterbilt

Peterbilt
    Expand Collapse

If it's a manual then it's most likely an SM465, which is a 4 speed with a granny low, (L-1-2-3-R) It's probably one of my favorite transmissions, They feel heavy and clunky, but they're enjoyable to drive and are nearly indestructible.

It could be an SM420, but I doubt it being a 69, especially a 4wd.

As for the weather stripping, I recommend a company called "Brothers Trucks", I got a pair of brand new door seals for a '72 C20 from them a few years back for $30.

Have you tried to get it running? When was it last started? I doubt it would take much to get running.

If you open the glove box there should be a white decal with a blue border that has a bunch of option codes listed on it, those are your RPO codes, If you can get me a picture of that, I can tell you every original option that truck had.

#6 Peterbilt, Feb 18, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
  7. amarks240

amarks240
    Expand Collapse

@Peterbilt will sort you right out. There is nothing better than good help from a patient guru. Cheers.

8. TheShipMaster

TheShipMaster
    Expand Collapse

we started it a year ago but when we last started it we nearly burned out the engine it wasn't in the right gear. so we just took out the starter to get rewired just incase it had been damaged but I'm thinking about putting it back in since we haven't gotten to doing it
    --- Post updated ---
    thanks!

9. mms

mms
    Expand Collapse

that truck's gonna pick up some chicks.

10. TheShipMaster

TheShipMaster
    Expand Collapse

I did recently open the glove box looking for just some old stuff like cassette tapes and I noticed that I can show you what it says in a little bit but its pretty faded

11. Peterbilt

Peterbilt
    Expand Collapse

Um, What?

Did the starter hang up? Was it stuck in gear? Was the motor seized? I don't really understand what you mean. If it made a horrible screeching noise while cranking that actually isn't a problem, the starters on the early SBC's usually needed a few shims, otherwise they sit too close to the flywheel and make that screeching noise, It's not really a problem, just really annoying.

It looks as though those might be the original doors, or the driver's door anyway, as it looks like it use to have a "CST" tag under the window, which was a trim package that was limited to the Chevys, though that could just be the way that small primer-ed section looks in the picture.

And just for future reference, punctuation is your friend.

#11 Peterbilt, Feb 18, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  12. TheShipMaster

TheShipMaster
    Expand Collapse

no we didn't know what gear it was in and we tried to start it and the carburetor lit on fire due to the starter fluid being too hot I really don't know but it wasn't pretty
    --- Post updated ---
    sorry about the punctuation.

13. Peterbilt

Peterbilt
    Expand Collapse

Well, take it out of gear.

As for the fire, that was just a backfire through the carb from being too rich. It's no big deal, just blow it out and try again. I wouldn't use ether either, take a water bottle, drill a little hole in the cap and fill it with gas, use that instead.

Make sure the cap, rotor, plugs and wires are all in decent shape, make sure there is oil in it, give it a single squirt from the gas bottle, and see what happens, I bet it'll start.

14. TheShipMaster

TheShipMaster
    Expand Collapse

ok I will try that once I can but right now it's night so I cant do it but thanks for the help, and do you have any more advice?

15. Peterbilt

Peterbilt
    Expand Collapse

Tons, what do you want to know?

16. TheShipMaster

TheShipMaster
    Expand Collapse

well any place to get a new bed, the one on it is so rusty that it has rust holes...
    --- Post updated ---
    well I will send you a video if I get it running just so you can see how the engine is.

17. Peterbilt

Peterbilt
    Expand Collapse

A whole new bed or just bedsides? For bedsides you could try Brothers, for a whole bed, craigslist and junkyards are your best bet, However the 67-72 Bodystyle isn't as common as it used to be,

How bad is the one you've got now? If you've never done any bodywork this would be a decent place to start.

If your worried about rust, I'd be more concerned with the cab corners, rockers, and floor, the 67-72's are bad for their floors rotting away.

18. TheShipMaster

TheShipMaster
    Expand Collapse

since the seals are bad there are rust holes in the floor near the doors.
    --- Post updated ---
    the bed itself not the bed sides they are fine.

19. RyMcC22

RyMcC22
    Expand Collapse

Got 2 of those rolling around my Scout. Won't go anywhere in that thing without that and at least 2 spare ignition points.

20. enjoyinorc6742

enjoyinorc6742
    Expand Collapse

is the motor ok? what motor does it have? good luck on restoring this vehicle.
    i got an 82 f-100 that will be mine when i get my license on my 21st Bday in october. already painted the Ford on the back white. 300 i6 w/ 3spd.
    0415161910-00.jpg

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice