Multiple Cameras!

Discussion in 'Ideas and Suggestions' started by angelo234, May 11, 2021.

1. angelo234

angelo234
    Expand Collapse
    Programmer
    BeamNG Team

I think it would be great if the game allowed for multiple cameras to be used in the scene at once and it would open many possibilities.

One use case is being able to add an actual backup camera (not a fake one like in my mod) to vehicles and display its perspective on the infotainment screen of modern vehicles. It would be used to assist in parking since the dynamic reflection mirrors are basically useless, and it would be a nice touch since every real life modern vehicle has one.

Another use case would be to use the cameras for planar reflections to allow for functional and useful mirrors. The way dynamic reflections work is really not appropriate for vehicle mirrors because they don't show a true reflection (they don't even show the vehicle in the image so it's hard to gauge where your vehicle is to other objects) and they don't have great resolution. And so I end up just turning them off since it lags my game. And the kicker is that the dynamic reflections use 6 additional cameras but this method would only use 3 (2 side mirrors and rearview mirror) so it would be more efficient and useful than dynamic reflections. So I'm thinking that when you are inside of the car, the mirrors will use planar reflections and when you are outside the car, dynamic reflections will be used, so you can still enjoy the dynamic reflections on a shiny car :)

Those are a couple of the cases multiple cameras could be used in and I bet others can think of more ways they can benefit the game. Anyways I see that the academic/industry version of BeamNG called BeamNG.tech has the ability to use multiple cameras in the scene at once (https://documentation.beamng.com/beamng_tech/sensors/camera/) and this demonstrates that adding this capability is not a challenge of any kind (it really isn't a challenge to begin with). And I would really appreciate it if a BeamNG dev could please share their thoughts on this topic, thanks.

• Like Like x 3
  2. CaptainZoll

CaptainZoll
    Expand Collapse

another thing this could potentially be useful for is the long-awaited split-screen multiplayer.
    if you had the groundwork to render two separate camera angles at once, I'd imagine it shouldn't be that hard to implement.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. angelo234

angelo234
    Expand Collapse
    Programmer
    BeamNG Team

Yeah that would also be another use case. The thing is dynamic reflections literally rely on rendering the scene from 6 different camera angles since they are cubemap reflections. It is not a technical challenge whatsoever to have multiple cameras in the scene at once (I actually have implemented picture in picture mirrors for a game engine I created from scratch using LWJGL so I know it isn't hard to implement).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice