Mountain Roads

Discussion in 'Content Creation' started by Ibby, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Ibby

Ibby
    Expand Collapse

Hello all,

from the past few months i have been developing a map based in the mountains however I really want to include some curvy mountain roads. The thing is... I do not know exactly how to create a smooth road with various angles so help and advice will be appreciated a lot :)

I will create a thread of my map in a few weeks so you can see previews of the map and what it includes. As i mentioned above it will be a very detailed and aesthetic mountainous map, so comment on what you would like to see in it and i would implement it in my map.

Here is the kinds of roads i am planning to make.

2. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Don't make roads too smooth, let there be little edgy bits which make wonderfully rough ride.

In real roads, especially smaller ones, there are always some imperfections, especially on areas that have cold snowy winters, road goes up and down here and there, making car and especially trucks roll and pitch, jump up and down, that is big immersion factor of east coast roads, well at least for me.

One way to get bumpiness easily is to lower polycount on straight sections and having vertexes of spline to have small changes in height, so you end up with bit sharp corner between sections, just don't overdo it or it is like Test Drive Unlimited.

I'm not a track maker though, there might be even better ways to achieve such roughness to roads, that is just what might help with fps count and should be time saving way to create little bit extra immersion.

I'm sure those with more experience with BeamNG track making can give more hands on information of such., my tip is to avoid making billiard table with turns.

3. Ibby

Ibby
    Expand Collapse

You answer is appreciated, however, since i am a new to torque 3D, i dont understand when you said:

"One way to get bumpiness easily is to lower polycount on straight sections and having vertexes of spline to have small changes in height, so you end up with bit sharp corner between sections"

if you could explain how you do this and why, i would be very thankful:)

4. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

I guess that I would manipulate control points up and down + alter their numbers, based on information here:
    http://docs.garagegames.com/torque-...ation/World Editor/Editors/TerrainEditor.html

Not sure about depth though, also not sure how smoothing is controlled, based on text it would be number of control points that adjusts smoothing (also polycount?) but there could be more to it.

You should not though, that while I have attempted modding since 4d sports driving aka Stunts and have played around with pretty much every sim/car game since then, I haven't done tracks for BeamNG/Torque3D and there might be a lot better ideas to make sure roads are not too smooth.

Also one possibility might be that terrain affects road mesh so that if you put dips and bumps to terrain those will be on road mesh too, but I would approach that by making simple straight piece of road and experimenting with all that.

5. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

More on this should be referenced on the 'something about roads' topic.
    I am sure you can easily find this thread here in content creation.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice