1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

motorcycles

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ☭bestefaar☭, May 21, 2020.

1. ☭bestefaar☭

☭bestefaar☭
    Expand Collapse

somone think they will add motorcycles, that you can do wheelies with and stuff like that

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. umustbeloggedintododat

umustbeloggedintododat
    Expand Collapse

I remember there being a motorcycle mod somewhere here, but I think it got removed

• Agree Agree x 5
  3. CaptainZoll

CaptainZoll
    Expand Collapse

Other than a few meshslaps on grand marshal JBeams, there's only been one mod, which is the "custom sport bike" by darren9, who left the forums a few years ago and deleted it when he left. someone might still have a copy, but unless you have a controller, it is impossible to drive.

the problem with bikes in general is: how do you get them to balance?
    IRL, you can use the sensation of forces on your body to move accurately, and most other games with bikes do this by building the physics around making bikes not fall over, but in beamNG, it's really hard to make them drivable, so no-one bothers.

• Agree Agree x 5
  4. umustbeloggedintododat

umustbeloggedintododat
    Expand Collapse

but why the GM tho

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Phym

Phym
    Expand Collapse

Imagine how AWFUL it is lol.

6. TwoTwoNine

TwoTwoNine
    Expand Collapse

The Ducati was pretty okay, though fell over very easily.
    The Suzuki however, was a Gavril Grand Marshal lol.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Phym

Phym
    Expand Collapse

Wait, it had the grand Marshall jbeam and mesh?? What the heck?

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. umustbeloggedintododat

umustbeloggedintododat
    Expand Collapse

Not GM mesh, GM Jbeam. Weird right?

9. JsZ

JsZ
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

jesus fuk its true
    upload_2020-5-21_21-47-24.png

• Like Like x 10
    • Agree Agree x 3
  10. Phym

Phym
    Expand Collapse

So it has... what? So it would take up the same space as a GM, do you have any pics? You don't need to download it.

11. kwai38

kwai38
    Expand Collapse

Bascially it would act, feel and crash like a GM.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Phym

Phym
    Expand Collapse

Oh God...

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. YellowRusty

YellowRusty
    Expand Collapse

You know, I could almost see motorcycles & mopeds (all with sidecars to eliminate the balancing problem) becoming a DLC pack one day after the base game is fully released.

• Like Like x 3
  14. IAchievedBacon

IAchievedBacon
    Expand Collapse

I doubt this game would get a DLC.

• Agree Agree x 14
  15. Kueso

Kueso
    Expand Collapse

i second this, its not even out of early access.
    also a game like this would not receive DLC's based on how its marketed and structured. At least, if they did offer some, it would be weird and frankly cheap.
    also it would destroy the repository because people will release mods for DLC content and there would be arguments etc.
    Think of the Raven R20 clusterfuck of a mod. people were outraged at the notion of payed content

• Agree Agree x 6
  16. ManfredE3

ManfredE3
    Expand Collapse

I've given my full ideas of this many times, but just on these point...
    Wreckfest, Cities Skylines, Spintires, Mudrunner, and Snowrunner all have both mod repositories with huge communities (through Steam Workshop and Mods.io) as well as paid DLC. If it's not a problem for them, why would it be for Beam?

And The R20 was more of an extremely vocal minority as far as I could tell. A lot of the issues I saw with that centered around the fact that it wasn't to the par of official content anyway.

And what about BeamNG's economic logic and marketing prevents a DLC? "Pay us $20, you'll get a full game. We aren't saying anything else". That's the same business model used by all of the aforementioned games, only BeamNG is 1/2 to 1/3 the price of those before their DLC.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Kueso

Kueso
    Expand Collapse

fair points. I still think BeamNG will and could be just fine without DLC's. Once the game is released i guarantee that people will scoop it up like hot cakes. Think of it in comparison to Minecraft. Though MC was an old concept, its creator managed to make it different than any other sandbox out there, and his success shows it. BeamNG also is an old concept, (think RoR). But BeamNG is revolutionary because it is the quintessential peak of all soft body physics simulators, and, even in this stage of development, its success shows. Minecraft has not employed DLC's until very recently with the store feature, and that was because they wanted further funds to pay an ever expanding team of hard working people. BeamNG is still quite small, and, at least in the pretty distant future, will still be the same way. I do not think they will ever need DLC's. I think it would come down to the same case as MC, where they employ them to expand their team to quicken development, etc.

18. ManfredE3

ManfredE3
    Expand Collapse

Getting this thread very off topic now, but...

The way I see it, BeamNG.Drive has a massive potential scope (and a large realized one already), a relatively small team, and content is incredibly recourse intensive to make compared to competing goods. 6-9 months for a single official vehicle, 2 years for a full sized new map, a decade for career mode... At $25/unit, there just isn't a massive pool of resources compared to the game's breadth as it currently exists, let alone what it possibly could encompass given sufficient resources. Yes full release will boost sales, but by how much? The game's been out for 7 years already, how many people are there that want the game and haven't got it because that's what they are waiting for? And what happens after that boost in sales? That just isn't a sustainable business model, there is a hard limit on the recourse pool for this game. BeamNG is an indie company, they don't have the backing of any massive publishers to help out with this stuff.

It seems like the BeamNG execs are against DLC, and I honestly find that a bummer because that puts a hard limit on official content that this game can ever get. At this rate, how much can we really expect before finances dictate they move onto another project? I can guarantee it is less than I personally wish we could see, as is evident from my occasional lengthy wish list posts... If after full release I could pay a couple of dollars for some extra content, I gladly would. This game could match it's MSRP in DLC and still be cheaper than the base price of an AAA game, or an indie game with a season pass.

To visualize what I'm talking about... Imagine a few years down the road... The game is "finished", everything has been done that can be financially justified based on the profit margin of the project. People like you and me paid $20ish 5-10 years prior, a negligible amount. That's like a single person order at McDonalds... Instead of going onto a new project, they keep this one alive with DLC. $10-$20 for a Cuban themed pack that includes a map, a car or two, a new campaign, and a wallpaper just for giggles. I'm just giving a random example here as what could be in some alternate universe where the team was open to it.

I don't mean to say anything about BeamNG's current financial standing; obviously I do not have access to their financial records or anything like that. Development is unquestionably going better now than ever. They have a steady release schedule going and are packing more content into updates now than ever before, both in terms of quantity and quality. Obviously things are going well for them, and in the foreseeable future that will surely continue. But the prudent thing is to be thinking ahead, and $25/unit 7 years ago can only go so far.

• Agree Agree x 4
  19. NOCARGO

NOCARGO
    Expand Collapse

It can't be too hard making a motorcycle to work correctly imo, if you think about it. If you make a jbeam for it then you have to include a jbeamed rider, or at least the legs, with it along. They (the legs) don't have to be visible necessarily but you can link the legs and feet to hydros which put them on the ground when the vehicle is moving slow and unbalanced. :)

edit: comes to mind that yes it would be best to jbeam arms and hands as well for correct steering reactions

20. CaptainZoll

CaptainZoll
    Expand Collapse

the main problem is actually with high speed stability. darren worked around it by carefully calibrating a hydro with a rider's bodyweight to shift slightly from left to right in corners, but even then it was easy to bin the thing.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice