More realistic behaviour with air pressure system for heavy vehicles

Discussion in 'Ideas and Suggestions' started by Vital, Jan 17, 2020.

1. Vital

Vital
    Expand Collapse

Am I the only one who noticed the heavy vehicles don't hiss as much as they should? In reality the compressed air is constantly re-generated in the tanks and every now and then excess compressed air is ejected automatically so you hear a sharp hiss IDK at what interval tho (and of course the air compressor motor sound two). There is also something called low air pressure warning where the breaks lock up if the heavy vehicle used it faster than it can regenerate. To fix this problem you just have to let it idle on neutral for a few mins. Would be cool to get this expansion for the heavy stuff in beaming. They are cool. This whole thing needs the engine running obviously to make it all happen

New parts for the T-series as well as the other heavy vehicle would have to be introduced such as air cylinders

#1 Vital, Jan 17, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. Michaelflat

Michaelflat
    Expand Collapse

Agree i wish we could have air brake sim in beamng.
    + automatic transmission thermals (hill climbs can overheat bus transmissions!)
    + retarder simulation would be awesome (essentially a torque converter, with a locked output shaft will do a similar thing, connect this heat to the vehicle radiator and you have retarder)

• Like Like x 1
  3. B3_Burner

B3_Burner
    Expand Collapse

No you're not, I've noticed it too.

I used to drive transit buses (very similar in appearance to the Wentward DT-40L)... but in real life they were Gillig Phantoms. Mandatory maximum air governor cut out is 140 psi... but our buses usually cut out around 120 psi. So the interval would be whenever the system hits that threshold.

It's been years since I drove, and did daily air brake tests as part of my pre-trip inspections, but what I recall is that a low air warning buzzer on the dash had to come on no lower than 60 psi. But I don't recall that the service brakes lock up.
    However, the emergency spring brakes for the rear wheels, engage anything below 35 psi. Engaging the e-brakes on a 30,000 pound bus at speed will get your immediate and undivided attention. That is why the yellow diamond shaped button off to the left side window sill is off slightly behind the driver. You have to really try to pull that thing... and they don't want it being too easy.

Yes and flipping the "fast idle" toggle switch speeds up the process.

Yup! You'd be surprised what runs pneumatically on heavy vehicles. Our buses had air windshield wipers and air starters. They made a god awful noise when you started the engine.
    If you lost all your air on a cold morning, trying to get the bus started, you were screwed. You lost everything. Then the mechanics had to bring out the portable air compressor from the shop to get you built back up.
    25 minutes late starting your route... dispatcher was pissed... your passengers on your first trip were pissed... and your boss was pissed. What a way to start the day at 4:30 in the morning, with 10 more hours to go.
    Needless to say, I'm happy to have retired young and I don't miss it AT ALL! But it had its good times too. Sometimes I cringe just a little bit whenever I drive the Wentward in BeamNG. Sometimes it reminds me too much of real life and my past. LOL

Yup primary and secondary air tanks. Red and green needles on the air pressure gauge. Yeah.. you're bringing back some old memories.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1dmy&urile=wcm:path:/dmv_content_en/dmv/pubs/cdl_htm/sec5
    From the California Commercial Driver's handbook on airbrakes. The written test! Yeah... what memories indeed. Sometimes driving those things was really fun though.

#3 B3_Burner, Feb 16, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. KennyWah

KennyWah
    Expand Collapse

Amazingly informative post, really interesting to read, but please maybe use something other then red text if possible. ouch 0.o

5. B3_Burner

B3_Burner
    Expand Collapse

Agreed. I'll change it back to black just as soon as I'm done with this reply. I thought it would help it stick out better, but when it's multiple lines of text, I now see it gets cumbersome to read. Sorry about that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice