Model Trains/Model Railroading

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic' started by kravn, Nov 28, 2022.

1. kravn

kravn
    Expand Collapse

I've wanted too create a thread for things related to model railroading for some time now, never did it because I didn't think it'd be too popular and would die off within a few weeks (which will still most likely happen). This thread is for pretty much anything related to model railroading weather it be a discussion about anything in the hobby, posting pics of your layout, trains, or anything else related to this hobby. My layout is still very WIP so anything I post here will most likely have a bit of a mess in the background.

Might as well start this thread off. Two days ago I went to a train show/model railroad swap meet a few towns over from where I live. I decided to pick up these two Locomotives as I figured I needed to get some modern Union Pacific locomotives in my collection as I didn't have any and I had wanted some for a while now. The one in front is a Bachmann Spectrum GE dash 840c. It is missing a few detail parts and for some reason a window post but it runs well especially after putting some new oil in it and cleaning the wheels. The one in the back is a Bachman Plus EMD SD45. Despite not being as new as the GE (irl the dash 8 was made from 87'-92', the SD45 was a product of the mid 60's) I felt it could still fit in as being a modern locomotive given that the Union Pacific probably was still using them into the late 90's. No detail parts were missing however one of the truck side frames is bent, so it looks a bit weird from some angles. It runs good though.
    PXL_20221127_220314925.jpg PXL_20221127_220326079.jpg PXL_20221127_220335507.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  2. SmokeyDokey

SmokeyDokey
    Expand Collapse

I've had this beauty since I was six. Hasn't run in a couple of years because I no longer have tracks currently (they take up too much space, but I could afford them). Hopefully one day it'll run again. If I remember, I'll take pics of it out of the box.
    20221128_122542.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  3. kravn

kravn
    Expand Collapse

Nice! I had a similar experience in the hobby when me and my family moved into a smaller apartment. My room was very small so I couldn't set up a track on the floor anymore. Sadly this meant that most of my cooler, more delicate equipment wasn't run for awhile which took a toll on the plastic gears and axle shafts which split and cracked over time. Most of what I had worked just fine though when I got back into the hobby in 2020 due to now living in a pretty large house and having a large room in the basement for me to build a layout in.

• Like Like x 1
  4. SmokeyDokey

SmokeyDokey
    Expand Collapse

Oh dang, I forgot about damage over time. How long did yours sit for comparison? This thing has sat around for about 6 years in the box.

5. kravn

kravn
    Expand Collapse

Mine probably sat for 7-8 years. The only ones that got damaged from sitting were made by Bachmann. While they had/have some really amazing models reliability is either really good or really bad. Some models from them that I had ran just fine after sitting where as some ran well for a bit and then broke something major. Your locomotive seems to be made by Athearn, they are one of and if not the highest recommended company I could think of if someone wanted a very reliable, durable model. I have models from them that range from being made in the early 70's to 2021 and not one has failed me. They are also super easy to maintain and fix. So I wouldn't be too worried about the locomotive you have not running again.

• Like Like x 1
  6. SmokeyDokey

SmokeyDokey
    Expand Collapse

Thank god, I got worried there. It's extremely hard to find one of these (due to it being around 10 years old, and outdated), and wherever they are, they're not cheap. Thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  7. kravn

kravn
    Expand Collapse

You're welcome!

• Like Like x 1
  8. bussin.buses

bussin.buses
    Expand Collapse

I have some of my dad’s old ones, and they run, but a lot of pieces are broken, and the track isn’t exactly high-quality. On a side note, I also have a Lego model, but IDK if that counts.
    --- Post updated ---
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  9. SmokeyDokey

SmokeyDokey
    Expand Collapse

If it's a model and a train, it counts. That's literally a model train. Looks sweet!

I wouldn't be able to resist the temptation to put the truck in the way of the train, just to see what would happen. Maybe that's just the five-year-old in me speaking.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. bussin.buses

bussin.buses
    Expand Collapse

View attachment 967049 View attachment 967050
    oh, I’ve tried, On the highest speed too. it just got hit in the side and pushed, so it knocked over a r&r sign, and then I stopped the train because the motor sounded like it was gonna explode because the truck got stuck.

• Like Like x 1
  11. SmokeyDokey

SmokeyDokey
    Expand Collapse

Damn, good to know I wasn't the first who thought of that here, lol.

12. kravn

kravn
    Expand Collapse

Lego trains do count as it is technically it's own scale (L gauge). I've actually got two sets though I haven't taken them out in a long time. I've always wanted to build replicas of real locomotives in Lego but I just don't have the parts to do so.

• Like Like x 2
  13. bussin.buses

bussin.buses
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, same. I also want to convert the one I have into one like this, with smaller side vents, a more realistic roof, and single headlight
    29C7AF49-3BBC-49B8-9C98-1BEF603CB7B5.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  14. kravn

kravn
    Expand Collapse

That seems like a pretty neat idea. Not particularly knowledgeable on Australian locomotives but I really like them

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. bussin.buses

bussin.buses
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, same here

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice