Maya exporting DAE wrong axis

Discussion in 'Content Creation' started by Cheeto, Aug 19, 2013.

1. Cheeto

Cheeto
    Expand Collapse

I've been trying to fiddle around with vehicle creation but I'm having a really annoying problem I can't solve. I create something in Maya 2014 but the axis in Maya don't match up with the axis in Torque3D.

Created this random abomination in Maya and you can see which way the axis are
    Exported it as .DAE

maya.PNG

Now when it's inside the game it's facing this way
    torqe.PNG

Anyone have a clue what I'm doing wrong?

2. ivankio

ivankio
    Expand Collapse

XYZ coordinates were never a standard in 3d, but things seems a little bit more weird here. Best thing is to get along the offsets for now, after all, everything you import will have the same offset.

Although I have no clue about this matter for I overlooked it, I do have some advice in a related matter.

You'll come to a point you'll create collision meshes to go along with your models. Beware that you'll have to rotate them in maya by: -90 0 180 and then freeze transform. It will look messed up even in the shape editor, but it will work in game. Also, note that atm you must reopen the level after you import a new mesh or the collision won't be loaded in the level.

drive_Colmesh_rotate.jpg

Thanks for NkosiKarbul for the tips here: Insert-new-object-into-map-Collision

3. NkosiKarbul

NkosiKarbul
    Expand Collapse

i have the same thing with axis changing orientation from modeling program to torque engine but why would that be a problem? the one uses another orientation layout then the other,
    but as the whole systems only use is to give you a reference for its position within the world, why would it be a problem if the axis is called different in the game than in the modeling program?
    as long as your model keeps its shape, collision and texture i dont really see a reason why we couldnt name the axis bob,carla and susi instead of y,x,z or whatever.^^

you dont have to save and reload the map over the menu but just close the editor by pressing f11 again or the play button and enter the game in playmode again to get the collision meshs position refreshed or set up in the world. :)

also, if you center the origin/node/axis of abscissas (dunno how you call it) of the mesh in the meshs center and then both in the center of the scene, so basicly eliminate every offsets you should not have offsets in the game aswell.
    i have the origin of the mesh centered after im done modeling, by a little tool of my modeling program, and then reset the whole mesh to 0,0,0.
    that way, only the rotation problem is left.
    why would you want to offset the mesh from the center of the model anyway, if there isnt a second mesh within the same model which requires a distance to achieve a look or proportion?

ps: my grammar is horrible, if you dont understand something because a sentence just makes no sense at all, tell me. :/

#3 NkosiKarbul, Aug 19, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
  4. ivankio

ivankio
    Expand Collapse

Exactly. I recon this asset is not friendly to level design, but it is a model friendly to modifications and implementations of itself. I wasn't thinking about the game and I was just experimenting with the house as the focus of my design process. I'm pretty sure most people know where to put the pivots for their own good.

Sometimes it pains me that in architecture we are never done. ;)

5. NkosiKarbul

NkosiKarbul
    Expand Collapse

i see :)

haha, i think to know what you mean, i learned architectural/constructional draftsman. :p

6. Cheeto

Cheeto
    Expand Collapse

Well it would just make things far less confusing. I particularly wanted the axis to be the same because I was using vertices positions on the model to make the node positions. When I get the position of a vertice in Maya and put those co-ordinates in the jbeam it won't show up where I want it.

Thanks for the help guys but i'm no 3D modeler, when I run into this many problems I cannot solve (I'm a rather good problem solver) it's a sign it's not for me :p

Maybe in the future when more tools are developed and more in-depth tutorials are created I can give it another shot.

7. NkosiKarbul

NkosiKarbul
    Expand Collapse

that makes actually very much sense, i just did not think about that but it makes my first statement looking kinda ignorant but who cares. :p
    dont give up, why dont you just handle them like vocables you have to tranlsate.
    have a cheatsheet which just tells you z+ = z+ ; y+ = y- ; x+ = x-
    or well just remember to change "+" to "-" on "y" and "x" while editing the nodes. ^^

8. WacKEDmaN

WacKEDmaN
    Expand Collapse

try changing the pivot point in maya to match torque's axis....

changing the pivot point in 3dsmax seems to work ok (moved from centre of object to base and that became the pivot point)

9. Cheeto

Cheeto
    Expand Collapse

Something like that would work but it makes it all more confusing. I wish i could just multiply posY and posX * -1 or something :\ . I might try this another day because I'm very interested in this but right now it's just frustrating me because I thought I had it figured out and solved but then I start doing a bunch of nodes and it's all wrong, the models not where I thought it would be, i try to fix it, i mess up more stuff. It's just a pain.

Are the axis in 3dsmax the same as torque3D? If so I might give that program a try if they have a student version or a trial.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice