Map temperature app or environment setting

Discussion in 'Ideas and Suggestions' started by Kasir, Feb 23, 2019.

1. Kasir

Kasir
    Expand Collapse

I thought about how the exhaust smoke is visible when the engine isn't fully heated, and how the setting for that mentions that it is according to the environment's temperature. So, I thought it would be cool to have an app or a slider in the environment tab that controls the map's temperature, and certain temperatures can affect the car's performance. I know the game is still rather early in development, but I thought it could add to the realism

Thanks to Harkin Labs Gaming, I know now that temperature is already kinda simulated, but all it does is change whether exhaust smoke appears or not. As I said in the first paragraph, this app/setting would affect performance, as most/all cars don't react well to extreme temperatures.

This may seem utterly useless and stupid to some but I'm sure someone likes this idea. Hopefully, someone in the comments with more knowledge about this kind of stuff can explain or word this better than I did, as I probably repeated some things or wasn't clear enough about it, knowing me.

I would do a poll for this question but I think it's probably better answered with words. Is this asking too much of the devs? I am sure that they would have to do another major update in order to implement this since it could change the physics.

#1 Kasir, Feb 23, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Kasir

Kasir
    Expand Collapse

A short little disclaimer. After playing the game for a bit, I realized the exhaust smoke thing only happens on high elevations (go to Car Jump Arena and spawn at the ramp to see what I mean ), but the engine still won't be heated if you spawn at ground level on any map. So, to add on to my original post, if you were to put temperatures low, smoke would be visible regardless of what elevation you are at. To add on to that, maps have a default temperature that is unique, Utah's could be 90 degrees for example.

3. Harkin Gaming

Harkin Gaming
    Expand Collapse

ETK Test Center also has exhaust smoke when the engine is cold, and it is a stock map.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Kasir

Kasir
    Expand Collapse

Oh. Thanks, I was starting to think this entire forum post was useless because the feature wouldn't make a difference. Looks like I'm gonna have to rephrase this whole thing.

5. Capkirk

Capkirk
    Expand Collapse

Actually, all maps already have temperatures. Utah is around 80 F, ECUSA, WCUSA, Hirochi, are around 60 F, the Automation test track is at 40 F, and these temperatures change with altitude and time of day as well.

• Informative Informative x 2
  6. Kasir

Kasir
    Expand Collapse

Ah, ok. Thanks for telling me this.

7. RobertGracie

RobertGracie
    Expand Collapse

Its within the code of the maps, if you know where to look in the map file data you can see the temperatures, as for the car, yeah I could see that being a bit useful like getting EGTs about the car and seeing what your running at pre-Turbocharger or something

8. Harkin Gaming

Harkin Gaming
    Expand Collapse

I believe it also says the temperature in the map selection screen too. I can't remember exactly where but I am sure it was there at one point.

9. Kasir

Kasir
    Expand Collapse

It doesn't say the temperature exactly, but it does say what type of climate the maps are. For example, WC says Coastal, Urban, Semi-arid.

10. RobertGracie

RobertGracie
    Expand Collapse

I have seen it, its in the code for the maps, you need to look for it :)

11. Harkin Gaming

Harkin Gaming
    Expand Collapse

I think a while a go it actually said the temperature in the map selector, and you didn't need to dig through code to find it. Maybe I am mis-remembering though.

12. RobertGracie

RobertGracie
    Expand Collapse

Yeah I gotta go into the map file and alter one map so its absolutely sub zero in temperature from the hottest map out there the Desert Highway map that @iheartmods created to make it absolutely baltic or worse!

• Like Like x 2
  13. iheartmods

iheartmods
    Expand Collapse

Don't like bombing down a highway in +45C daytime temps :) ?

• Like Like x 1
  14. RobertGracie

RobertGracie
    Expand Collapse

I could make it a -90C day hehehe, I think you need to make that road murderous to cars pushing them to their thermal limits haha

15. iheartmods

iheartmods
    Expand Collapse

I think it being as hot as it is now is a pretty big strain. Definitely need to mind the temp gauge in a few of the cars

16. RobertGracie

RobertGracie
    Expand Collapse

Yeah it is a strain when your doing a top speed run in temperatures that high and your car breaks down most of the way through it and it causes you to rethink your plans

• Like Like x 1
  17. DuneWulff

DuneWulff
    Expand Collapse

I'm willing to bet Dust Bowl is hotter :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 2
  18. RobertGracie

RobertGracie
    Expand Collapse

I was thinking of tweaking it to be 115 Degrees C and then maybe negative 115 Degrees C some real hellish temperatures....

• Like Like x 1
  19. Kasir

Kasir
    Expand Collapse

You madman...

20. RobertGracie

RobertGracie
    Expand Collapse

*Grins* Well I do have plans to conquer the entire planet inside of 24 hours....

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice