Making a city based on Belfast - Is it a good idea?

Discussion in 'Content Creation' started by SuperEmbracer, Nov 17, 2018.

?

Good idea?

1. Yes

5 vote(s)
    83.3%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. SuperEmbracer

SuperEmbracer
    Expand Collapse

Hey guys,

I've finished my first map, the Isle of Longford, and i wanted to go and create a new map. I remember the last time when i (unsuccessfully) tried to make a map based off Cape Town (at the start of 2018).

I haven't even started making the map yet, but i want to know if this a good idea. Of course this is not going to be an accurate reflection of the real Belfast, but i already have the map plans drawn out in L3DT, which kinda looks vaguely like Belfast from a top-down map view (but not quite). I already have a new name for this proposed map, it will be called the City of Tully.

The road layout is going to have inspiration from the city, but it's not going to be one-for-one replication. Still, i am questioning myself whether this is a good idea or not, considering the history of the city. And let's keep this as apolitical as possible, please.

So, what will change from the Isle of Longford?

A better road layout
    Maybe some more custom buildings(if anyone wants to pitch in, PM me, I'll credit you!)

That's all i can think of, so far

And if you don't think this is a good idea, tell me which city i should base my new map off!

And sorry if this is in the wrong thread, by the way.

Attached Files:

• Tully.png
    #1 SuperEmbracer, Nov 17, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  2. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Well that depends a bit, if no computer on earth will run it @60fps at high details, then I think something else might be better?

So far no one has had skills to pull off citymap that would not kill even the fastest CPU on planet. It requires quite lot of tricks to pull such map off.

For example here is kind nice city map, except there is no computer on this planet that could run it smoothly:
    https://www.beamng.com/resources/san-frisco.2431/

So I would say that maybe jungle map instead as those will perform well much easier, city maps are the most difficult ones to pull off.

Isle of Longford is really cool map, but in practice it is rarely fired up here because of laggy performance.

Now most ambitious maps end up to be really laggy, it is relatively easy to build good map, but incredibly difficult to make it perform, there is plenty of laggy maps, so it would be logical to make something that would perform well even without supercomputer or at least with the supercomputer :D

So I'm not sure if making city map at this point would be best thing to do.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice