[LUA] Node location

Discussion in 'Programming' started by Funky7Monkey, Mar 4, 2015.

1. Funky7Monkey

Funky7Monkey
    Expand Collapse

Is there any way to retrieve the location of a specific node (relative to the map origin)? For, say, use in a UI app.

2. Dummiesman

Dummiesman
    Expand Collapse

You can get the entire vehicle position with obj:getPosition(). But there is no way to get the node position from the physics. (as far as I know)

You can get the node position in the JBeam but it will not correspond to it's position in the world
    Code:
    for k,v in pairs(v.data.nodes) do
       print("pos: " .. v.x .. " " .. v.y .. " " .. v.z)
    end

EDIT: 5 years later we can now do this. I forget whether the function is called obj:getNodePos or obj:getNodePosition. The input is the node cid (not the name)

#2 Dummiesman, Mar 4, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
    • Informative Informative x 3
  3. torsion

torsion
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the info on this @Dummiesman. I tried what you posted in your update and I'm afraid that you still can't directly get a location for a node relative to the map origin, even using getNodePosition().

As far as I can tell, that's not a big problem though. I've just been adding the (relative) node position to the (absolute) vehicle position. Convert both to vec3 and just do an addition operation. Signing (negative/positive) gets handled automatically. This seems to be an OK technique. I'd be interested to hear about it if I'm doing something bad though!

Code:
    local searchNodeName = "fw1l"
    local searchNodePos

for k,v in pairs(v.data.nodes) do
      if v.name == searchNodeName then
        searchNodePos = vec3(obj:getPosition()) + vec3(obj:getNodePosition(v.cid))
      end
    end

dump(searchNodePos)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Dummiesman

Dummiesman
    Expand Collapse

getNodePosition gets the node position relative to the vehicles location, so that would be the correct way to get it in world space :)

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice