1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Before reporting issues or bugs, please check the up-to-date Bug Reporting Thread for the current version.
    0.30 Bug Reporting thread
    Solutions and more information may already be available.

Lots of input lag lately

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting: Bugs, Questions and Support' started by Regenworm, Mar 3, 2019.

1. Regenworm

Regenworm
    Expand Collapse

Hello, i have BeamNG in my library since 2015 or 2016. I used to have a crap laptop that could reach a whopping 15fps and i have over 300 hours in beam with that laptop.

Now i have a GTX 1050 laptop with 8GB ram and beamng works awesome! I have 40-60fps on medium and low graphics is even a bit better.

I havent had any problems, until the Italy update

There is a massivly annoying thing. Whenever i have another AI car in the game my FPS keeps being 40-60 but there is just a huge input lag. Whenever i press my keyboard it takes over 3 seconds for the game to react. I havent had this problem before the Italy update was released, and now i have it on most big maps. Its very annoying.

Anyone else having this problem? And does anyone know a fix?

2. Sithhy™

Sithhy™
    Expand Collapse

It's a known thing. The CPU is being used a lot on bigger maps & more cars, so it takes longer for any other commands to take place thus the input lag

3. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

Does it happen if you have another vehicle spawned, or if AI is enabled on the other vehicle?

What are you using to drive? (keyboard, controller, steering wheel, etc. | Specify the exact model if needed)

4. Regenworm

Regenworm
    Expand Collapse

It happens whenever other AIs are driving, when they just stand still theres no lag at all. I use a keyboard, its the one from my laptop, a MSI gv62 7rd

5. Jeoffry Johnson

Jeoffry Johnson
    Expand Collapse

The same happened to me but on west coast when i spawned 2 other ai cars
    --- Post updated ---
    I have 12gb ram and a GTX 1080

6. stenyak

stenyak
    Expand Collapse
    Programmer & Global Moderator
    BeamNG Team

Assuming the user interface works fine (let me know if that's not the case!), is the input delay also visible in the Options > Controls > Hardware menu?
    Secondly, is the delay also noticeable in the user interface apps "Pedals and Axis" and "Steering Position"?

• Like Like x 1
  7. Regenworm

Regenworm
    Expand Collapse

Sorry for the late reply,

I have tried both of the things and the input lag is visible both in the Hardware in the options, and in the 2 UI apps (Pedals and Axis and Steering Position)

8. stenyak

stenyak
    Expand Collapse
    BeamNG Team

Ok, sounds like an issue coming from outside BeamNG.drive.

Try the following:
    - Fully close Steam client (make sure its icon disappears from the task bar)
    - Go to the BeamNG.drive installation directory
    - Run bin64/BeamNG.drive.x64.exe file

If the issue is solved, then Steam configuration is messing with the input. You may then have to turn off the Steam Big Picture features as described here.

9. Regenworm

Regenworm
    Expand Collapse

I am very very sorry for the late reply, i have looked into the big picture features, but the thing is, i play with keyboard, so Big Picture doesnt change anything for me.

10. stenyak

stenyak
    Expand Collapse
    BeamNG Team

Do you also have delay when you press ESC key to open the menus, for example? Or is it only when using throttle up-arrow key?

11. Regenworm

Regenworm
    Expand Collapse

I sometimes only have lag when driving, but most of the time it is also ESC and other things like the vehicle selection menu

12. stenyak

stenyak
    Expand Collapse
    BeamNG Team

Does Alt+U also suffer from lag? (this key combo will toggle the ui on and off)
    Also, what about Ctrl+F? (will cycle through various framerate info panels)

13. Regenworm

Regenworm
    Expand Collapse

CTRL F does not seem to have a delay, but ALT U does

14. stenyak

stenyak
    Expand Collapse
    BeamNG Team

Try doing a clean reinstall (don't customize the game or install any mods, first try the game as-is after the clean reinstall).

15. Regenworm

Regenworm
    Expand Collapse

Did a clean reinstall and the input lag is still there. Like before, only seems to happen with AI on.

16. Sithhy™

Sithhy™
    Expand Collapse

What's your CPU? It might not be able to keep up with all the physics thus slowing down everything else

17. Regenworm

Regenworm
    Expand Collapse

I have a I5-7300HQ with 2,50GHz.

I used to have a old crappy laptop that was way worse, where i normally had around 15fps in Beam, but never had any problems with inputwise.

Only thing i can think of is that on my old laptop and when i first had this one, beam was on C: disk, and now i have it on an external HHD. but it would be weird that that change caused the game to run so badly input wise looking at my old PC which took like 2 minutes to even select a vehicle in beam and didnt have the input problems.

18. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

3 seconds of input lag is bit much, no matter what.

I would guess that there has to be some software causing this, maybe there is some hotkey software that came with laptop or maybe some security software, maybe even Steam, but something that is layer between keyboard and actual key appearing to screen, which might then cause such slow response in game.

What I would try is play game without steam by launching 64bit exe directly in game's bin folder, if that does not make any difference, then disabling antivirus or similar kind programs and if still no effect, then looking if there is any handy hotkey application running.

If none of that helps, then it gets even more into random disabling of anything that might do something with the keyboard.

Also if it only happens with BeamNG and not with other games, that might be because CPU is used more in BeamNG and that something messing with key inputs might also be using lot of CPU, which might mean it has more delay in beam than with other games.

Also worth to do a scan with free malwarebytes antimalware, just in case it is some pesky keylogger thing that can cause such in bad case, but it is more like some handy dandy hotkey helper program that usually has this kind of behavior or maybe even usb keyboard driver if keyboard is programmable kind.

These are just guess, you need to systematically eliminate potential causes by disabling them one after another, it might not reveal problem, but that is basic diagnostic thing to do.

19. Regenworm

Regenworm
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the answer,

I yesterday have gotten lots of input lag when playing Assasins Creed, so it is not a steam or BeamNG problem, i guess its something else then.

So i guess it has something to do with high CPU usage, which would be plausible, but the weird thing is that i still have 40-50fps all time while getting input lag.

After reading your comment i think that it is some windows 10 keyboard helper thing, but i got no idea how and where that would be, so i gotta go on a search i guess.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice