Looking for a laptop..

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by CaffeinatedPixels, Sep 16, 2014.

1. CaffeinatedPixels

CaffeinatedPixels
    Expand Collapse

After getting the topic refreshed in my mind by Smeowkey, I made a bet and if I won that bet I'd be given a laptop.

My current choice is an ASUS Transformer T-100, mainly for the two-in-one functionality. Here's what's gonna be on it:

• Adobe Photoshop/GIMP 2.8 - I paint cars for iRacing and NR2003. Obviously I need a program for that.
    • Spotify - Music fuels creativity.
    • Skype - I make cars for my friend, too.
    • Firefox + my bookmarks - Gee, I think I could use some sites to get some logos, huh?
    • A few small games - Things like GeneRally. Not too big.
    • CCleaner - Cleans off the cache and stuff. Helpful for me.
    • Zmodeler - Rendering NR2003 cars?
    • Microsoft Office 2013 - Gonna be a working computer, as I do a lot of planning with my paints.

My games are still going to be hosted on my "make-believe" monster, so gaming ability is not a problem.

Any comments or suggestions please let me know. Thanks. :)

2. deject3d

deject3d
    Expand Collapse

you're not going to be comfortable or productive using a 10.1" 1366x768 screen. it looks like it was marketed to the netbook market. there's a reason netbooks aren't around anymore - they're hard to use and they suck.

if you're serious about an 'ultraportable' laptop/tablety/netbook replacement thing, get a surface pro 2 or something.

3. logoster

logoster
    Expand Collapse

like deject said, if your serious about the transforming functionality, just get a surface pro 2 and a surface clip on keyboard (or if you feel like taking it around with you, a usb keyboard of some form)

4. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Photoshop and Zmodeller on an Intel atom. Oh fun. In all seriousness, those new atom chips are a lot better than they used to be, but they really aren't intended for productivity beyond that completed in a web browser or office.

The T100's have had a lot of issues with faulty keyboards and non functioning digitsers. But hey, that's ASUS.

If you can find one. I 3rd surface pro 2 if serious about a tablet/laptop hybrid. They were discontinued though.

5. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

The Surface Pro 3 is quite expensive, but it has a 12" screen and you can even choose an i7 CPU if you want more power. It's pretty cool.

6. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Keyboard is a little better than the Pro 2 aswell, larger keys, I never liked the 10" keyboards on netbooks etc.

7. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

I hate netbooks. They're a tablet with a keyboard and a desktop OS they obviously cannot run properly. Why do they even exist?

8. CaffeinatedPixels

CaffeinatedPixels
    Expand Collapse

Well what should I get? I don't want to be stuck using the Monster for something as simple as typing up a paper...

9. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

I'd recommend anything with an i5, i7 if you can. If you're gonna do 3d models you should have something better than Intel Graphics, so make sure it has a dedicated GPU.
    And don't really buy those flip-laptop things, they're usually low-end PCs designed for web browsing.

The best make you can buy is Lenovo. Really good quality, reliable, and overall very nice.

10. CaffeinatedPixels

CaffeinatedPixels
    Expand Collapse

I'm loading a scene of a car from NR2003, slapping a texture on it, then saving a picture of it...

What would you recommend model-wise?

#10 CaffeinatedPixels, Sep 17, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2014
  11. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

I don't have time to look through laptop models, but anything better than intel graphics should do. You should get something with an i5 CPU if you can afford it.

12. Kitteh5

Kitteh5
    Expand Collapse

My laptop is a very good choice.

13. CaffeinatedPixels

CaffeinatedPixels
    Expand Collapse

I've narrowed it down to the Lenovo G50. The price fits my range well, and it has a shitload of storage capacity.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice