"Lock to horizon" option in "Driver" camera need to improve

Discussion in 'Ideas and Suggestions' started by gonard, Oct 20, 2019.

1. gonard

gonard
    Expand Collapse

After a long break I find in driver camera settings a new option - lock to horizon. But after some driving I realized that this feature does not work as it should. That stabilize camera orientation only in roll axis, but most important is pitch axis. On bumpy road this option doesn't help to smooth camera shakes. We can look at pcars or iracing onboard footage for better understanding.
    I hope devs improve this thing for better car feeling and immersion.
    Also today I tried modify "Driver".lua (in camera modes folder) file for eliminate pitch rotation fallow to vehicle, but I failed. Anyone know how do this?

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. gonard

gonard
    Expand Collapse

Find solution for stabilize pitch axis of driver camera. Go to driver.lua in LocalDisk:\Steam\steamapps\common\BeamNG.drive\lua\ge\extensions\core\cameraModes), set new variable (carFwdMod) with zeroed z. value, and change variable name on onother line (like on screen). You also can set another z multiplier like 0.5, 0.2... but i dont test this
    see comparison on video

Attached Files:

• Screenshot_2.jpg
    #2 gonard, Oct 23, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
    • Staff Pick Staff Pick x 1
  3. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

Note that this is on purpose.
    The 'Lock to Horizon' is not meant to affect the 'pitch' of the camera, only the 'roll'.

Reason for that is for example if you are driving on an a steep road:
    You could end up with your view so low or high that you won't see the road anymore.
    See in your video when you go down the bridge, your dashboard is almost going out of the view.
    That could be extremely annoying when rock-crawling, or if you are on a more steep road/path for example.

It's a possible scenario in here, while in pCars or iRacing not much since you mostly drive on racing tracks, or anyway don't really have a case where that could be an issue.

4. gonard

gonard
    Expand Collapse

Yes, my variant very simple, my scripting skills don't let me make more complex implementation. But in Iracing/pcars, dashboard never go out of the view, the camera gently follows the car and absorb any bumps and kurbs, this is the perfect solution i would like. In fallowing Iracing screens car go down/uphill, but dashboard has identical position. I recently tried to drive fast on the bumpy gravel road in beamNG, car shaking was very strong and frequent, it's annoying too.

Attached Files:

• Screenshot_1.jpg
    • Screenshot_2.jpg
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice