1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

List of BeamNG "roads of interest" (pass/highway/track) - heavy WIP - with road data

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck, Feb 3, 2019.

1. NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck

NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck
    Expand Collapse

Now that I'm up and running, I've started this thread to compile a complete list of what I would consider "raceable" roads (both mountain passes and freeways, along with a few other miscellaneous as I see fit) in the game. Also decided to throw in the racetracks because as far as I know no one's ever bothered to measure them yet.

Distances were measured using the trip-computer app in game, so may be slightly inaccurate due to not driving down the exact center of the road (though I did try). Older data may also be subject to me crashing and using the recover key because my driving skills are apparently some of the worst ever. I'm trying to eliminate these but it will probably a slow process.

"SLCN" stands for "Sea Level Correction Number". Some maps don't have their main water layer positioned at z=0; thus if an altimeter is telling you're at 400 feet above sea level, you may actually be only 200 feet above the main water block. The SLCN is the number which is subtracted from or, more rarely, added to altitude readings to get the "true" altitude of a road. This is done for flavor purposes; the simulation calculates air pressure for aerodynamic and engine-power purposes using the raw z-position regardless of where the main water block is. Removing this factor will give you that number. Do be advised that some maps seem too close to their main water block considering the terrain and scenery they portray, while others don't have a main water block at all (those frequently have z-data which, once again, seems far too low for their terrain and scenery).

Speaking of all this, I'm getting my altitude data with @gigawert's Simple Altimeter 1.1 (feet version, meters version). I'm using the version that reads in feet, so all altitude data will be in feet.

Main waterblocks, where present, are tested for z-position by floating an empty steel barrel on them.

I'm trying to add overhead views with highlighted roads, but it's a slow process. If you don't think they're good enough, then you try doing precise freehand curves with a mouse at 1:30 in the morning!

DEVELOPER MAPS

Italy

upload_2019-2-2_14-43-9.png

Fastello to Conca Azzura coast road (white line): 5.5 miles
    Castello north exit (brown line, many hairpins): 2.1 miles, hairpins are extremely bletcherous with a 900 degree wheel
    Castello south exit (gray line): 2.3 miles, measured right into Castello
    Castello south to hillside (light pink line): 1.9 miles

Jungle Rock Island

Size: 1.6 square miles/4 square kilometers
    SLCN: -409 feet
    Temperature: 83F at default spawn point

At the very beginning of BeamNG's history, possibly before Grid Map but definitely by the public release of 0.3.0, there was a map called Dry Rock Island. It was an abandoned industrial island somewhere in the tropics, four klicks square, full of torn-up (but twisty) roads and rusting buildings, and it set the tone for several "abandoned tropical industrial area" maps in the game as well as about a billion mod maps back in the day. However, it was very rough around the edges even by the standards of long ago, and was also a poorly-optimized FPS hog. The developers looked into it, and they decided that fixing those problems would require so much work that they might as well replace it with an entirely new map, so that's what they did. Thus was born Jungle Rock Island, which might be considered the first of two "transitional" maps sitting between the rougher early maps and the more-intensive recent maps. It was still an "abandoned tropical industrial island" and used a lot of the previous rusty assets, and the roads still seemed a little "shaped with a ruler" in a few places, but the curvature was still smoother than some of DRI's and there were enough unique assets to show definite progress. And that's how it sits today, about 4 years on. Warm ambient temperature, extremely rough but also extremely twisty roads, four klicks square, and a surprisingly high sea level.

upload_2019-6-9_0-40-28.png

Perimeter Loop (red line)

Distance: 3.9 miles
    Surface: 100% asphalt
    Lowest elevation: 7 ft
    Highest elevation: 104 ft
    Start elevation: Unknown
    Elevation gap: 97 ft
    Possible runs: 2 (0 with return)

The perimeter loop, which has been a scenario for ages under the name of Island Tour, and a time attack under the name of Island Loop. Very fast, also very rough and narrow with a lot of evil corners.

Peak Road (orange line)

Distance: 2.8 miles
    Elevation at east end: 104 ft
    Elevation at west end: 93 ft
    Lowest elevation: 93 ft
    Highest elevation: 524 ft
    Elevation gap: 431 ft
    Elevation change: 11 ft
    Possible runs: 8 (8 with return)

This road is gentle at lower altitudes, but once you start to climb it gets very rough and very technical as well. You may get a different number of possible runs depending on what you consider appropriate start and finish lines.

Peak to Peninsula Road (yellow line)

Distance: 1.4 miles
    Elevation at north end: 385 ft
    Elevation at south end: 18 ft
    Lowest elevation: 18 ft
    Highest elevation: 389 ft
    Elevation gap: 371 ft
    Elevation change: 367 ft
    Possible runs: 2 (2 with return)

The road leading from the south perimeter up to near the peak, functionally an extension of the peninsula road. It may be short, but it has some of the roughest pavement in the entire game, especially on the endless 270-degree corner where there is a spawn point. This road is a time attack under the name of Hillclimb and was a scenario under the same name before that.

Peninsula Road (greenish-yellow line)

Distance: 5.7 miles
    Elevation at north end: 34 ft
    Elevation at south end: 18 ft
    Lowest elevation: 15 ft
    Highest elevation: 255 ft
    Elevation gap: 240 ft
    Elevation change: 16 ft

The well-known JRI peninsula road, currently available as a time attack under the name of Peninsula Stage. One of the most fun roads in the game despite a few ultra-rough spots, and also one of the longest, with no known equals until Italy came along. Once again you may get different numbers of possible runs depending on where you consider appropriate start and finish points to be, but I was too lazy to count so whatever. It is also surprisingly easy given its length, width, roughness, and endless corners.

Port to Airstrip Trail (green line)

Distance: 1.3 miles
    Surface: 100% dirt, <0.1% wood
    Elevation at east end: 42 ft
    Elevation at west end: 101 ft
    Lowest elevation: 4 ft
    Highest elevation: 261 ft
    Elevation gap: 257 ft
    Elevation change: 59 ft

A lesser-known JRI road which is currently available as a time attack under the name of Dirt Stage 2; it is also used in Island Dirt Loop and, as a very tiny fragment, in Dirt Stage 1. It meets the perimeter road at both ends and partially climbs the mountain in the center.

East Hillside Trail (blue-green line)

Distance: 0.83 miles
    Surface: 100% dirt

Elevation at north end: 70 ft
    Elevation at south end: 72 ft
    Lowest elevation: 63 ft
    Highest elevation: 175 ft
    Elevation gap: 112 ft
    Elevation change: 2 ft
    Possible runs: 0 (0 with return)

At less than a mile I'd call this a road fragment for my own purposes, and considering how straight it is, I almost didn't bother to put it in. I ended up adding it to this list anyway as the gentle curves could...? make it an alright place to learn the motions of inertia and brake drifting. Sort of.

Deep Jungle Trail (light blue line)

Distance: 3.5 miles
    Surface: 65.8% bad dirt, 34.2% dirt, <0.1% wood, 3 water splashes
    Elevation at east end: 140 ft
    Elevation at west end: 125 ft
    Lowest elevation: -3 ft
    Highest elevation: 441 ft
    Elevation gap: 444 ft
    Elevation change: 15 ft
    Possible runs: 2, maybe? (2 with return, maybe?)

Now this is a trail. If you start from the west it starts out like a narrower dirt road, but if you start from the east you will see its true fangs almost immediately. I have beached and overturned 4x4 trucks here without even trying to go fast, and trying to compete it with my standard ETK 3000ix required many do-overs as well (but yes, I did pull it off somehow!)

Port

Size: 0.4 square miles/1 square kilometer
    SLCN: -105 feet
    Temperature: 88F at default spawn point

Once upon a time, this was the fourth area of Industrial Site, but was replaced by an area more suitable for racing very early on in the game's history and repackaged as a standalone map; amusingly, traces of the Industrial Site racetracks can still be found here to this day if you fly around in freecam. There are, however, no roads of interest here.

upload_2019-5-27_21-0-0.png

Small Island, USA

SLCN: -84 feet
    Temperature: 93F at default spawn point

This is one of the oldest maps in BeamNG.drive. Grid Map and Dry Rock Island may be older in absolute terms, but this is still a BeamNG OG, certified present since 0.3.0, which has been through a theme change as well. There are actually very few roads here, but this map has still been used for timed laps by @Spec Racer Z, eventually to show how the game's driving has changed through versions.

upload_2019-6-9_0-45-28.png

Perimeter Road (red line)
    Distance: 1.6 miles
    Lowest elevation: 5 ft
    Highest elevation: 81 ft
    Elevation gap: 76 ft

The longstanding perimeter loop of Small Island, USA, there since the game was first released to the public and once used by @Spec Racer Z to show the differences between game versions. Fairly fast, but incredibly narrow and fairly rough too.

Mountain to North Road Trail (orange line + orange dots)
    Distance: 0.95 miles (1.5 miles with dotted extension)
    Elevation at north end: 40 ft (38 ft with dotted extension)
    Elevation at south end: 71 ft
    Lowest elevation: 17 ft
    Highest elevation: 194 ft
    Elevation gap: 177 ft
    Elevation change: 31 ft (33 ft with dotted extension)
    Possible runs: 0 (2 with dotted extension or just because I said so)

The run over the mountain, which is not quite a mile long unless you extend it across the north industrial road a couple of times. Very narrow, very rough, the corners on the east side of the mountain are sharper than my cruddy drawing indicates.

Beach to Mountain Trail (yellow line)
    Distance: 0.88 miles
    Surface: 100% dirt, <0.1% sand
    Elevation at north end: 30 ft
    Elevation at south end: 54 ft
    Lowest elevation: 2 ft
    Highest elevation: 83 ft
    Elevation gap: 81 ft
    Elevation change: 24 ft
    Possible runs: 0

A run down to the beach and then around the mountain to the south, beginning and ending on the Mountain to North Road Path while also intersecting with it one additional time.

Grid, Small, Pure

Size: ∞
    SLCN: UNKNOWN because of no main water block, but probably 0 feet
    Temperature: 58F at default spawn point

A roadless, endless, flat expanse used for pure testing and messing around, basically whatever you want. There's nothing actually here but what you put here (such as Track Builder time attacks).

Temlpate

SLCN: -381 ft
    Temperature: 57F at default spawn point

A roadless template map which was added to the game... a lot longer ago than it feels like, with a heightmap and some groundmodels but nothing else, probably intended as a demonstration and jumping-off point for modders. Whether it was ever used that way, I don't know. It does seem to have a very high sea level.

upload_2019-5-27_20-36-0.png

Utah, USA

SLCN: UNKNOWN, map does not have a main waterblock to refer to, however given altitude data seems very low for the environment portrayed
    Temperature: 94F at default spawn point

A map that spent years on hold because of unspecified Torque3D issues, before finally being added in version 0.5.4 which is a lot longer ago than it feels like. From a certain perspective, it could be seen as the second part of the transitional phase between the early "rough" maps (see Dry Rock Island et al.) and the newer type of map which comes out much less often but is of much higher quality (WCA, Italy) - it was still very sparse and much of it had an overall "decayed" feel, however it had all-new (or nearly so) assets set against an all-new background along with some of the smoothest curves to that point. Has only one good paved mountain pass, but that one might be the best in the game so far, or at least very close. Also many dirt roads, some short, some longer.

upload_2019-6-9_0-45-40.png

West Rock Canyon (red line)
    Distance: 4.5 miles
    Lowest elevation: 436 ft
    Highest elevation: 983 ft
    Elevation at east end: 527 ft
    Elevation at west end: 436 ft
    Elevation gap: 547 ft
    Elevation change: 91 ft
    Possible runs: 18 (15 with return) (you may easily get a wildly different number depending on where you consider appropriate start & finish points to be)

This is the Utah canyon. The road you probably came looking for. Narrow, undulating, no guardrail, lots of third gear corners, but surprisingly easy to find the rhythm. Don't bother trying to hook the pavement edge; you'll either overdo it or get nothing from it. Narrow bridges are a hazard. On the eastbound run, the corner after you pass the visitor center wants to eat you; don't go in too fast!

Highway to Canyon Trail (light blue line)
    Distance: 0.82 miles
    Lowest elevation: 475 ft
    Highest elevation: 744 ft
    Elevation at north end: 740 ft
    Elevation at south end: 475 ft
    Elevation gap: 269 ft
    Elevation change: 265 ft
    Possible runs 0 (0 with return)

A narrow and treacherous dirt path connecting the main two-lane highway to the hairpin of West Rock Canyon.

Central Mountain Outer Trail (green line)
    Distance: 1.7 miles
    Lowest elevation: 480 ft
    Highest elevation: 830 ft
    Elevation at east end: 489 ft
    Elevation at west end: 830 ft
    Elevation gap: 350 ft
    Elevation change: 341 ft

A narrow but gently-curving path running from the main two-lane highway to the top of the dry riverbed that forms West Rock Canyon. Has a couple of intersections with other dirt roads; the decal roads in that area are difficult to read so I'm only almost sure this road doesn't go off in a different direction.

Central Mountain Trail (yellow-green line)
    Distance: 1.3 miles
    Lowest elevation: 572 ft
    Highest elevation: 882 ft
    Elevation at east end: 572 ft
    Elevation at west end: 819 ft
    Elevation gap: 310 ft
    Elevation change: 247 ft

An alternate of the above road, connects to it at both ends, similarly narrow but much more technical. Where the above road winds a wide loop around the central buttes, this road climbs between them.

Riverbed East Trail (yellow line)
    Distance: 0.84 miles
    Lowest elevation: 405 ft
    Highest elevation: 464 ft
    Elevation at east end: 464 ft
    Elevation at west end: 405 ft
    Elevation gap: 59 ft
    Elevation change: 59 ft

An extension of the riverbed trail which goes north and east to meet up with the two-lane highway. Could be strung together with the below route to create a short rally stage, but that would violate the "one road per run" principle I use for pass racing.

Riverbed Main Trail (orange line)
    Surface: 100% dirt, 3 water splashes
    Lowest elevation: 336 ft
    Highest elevation: 445 ft
    Elevation at east end: 416 ft
    Elevation at west end: 445 ft
    Elevation gap: 109 ft
    Elevation change: 29 ft

The main section of the trail running alongside (and through) the river. The "decal road entrails" at intersections are exceedingly difficult to read and repeatedly contradict the obvious path, in the process breaking up this road into two shorter runs which are both individually too short to bother with, so I just ignored them and went with the obvious. With three river crossings in not even a mile and a half, some ride height may be advantageous here.

Freeway Inner Loop (dark blue line)
    Distance: 3.2 miles
    Lowest elevation: 431 ft
    Highest elevation: 492 ft
    Elevation gap: 61 ft
    Part of possible runs: 1

Utah's freeway, which was originally bounded by cave-ins at the southeast and southwest corners of the map, is now bent into a loop by the use of this tunnel. This is the inner (counterclockwise) carriageway. I know you can't really call it a freeway since it has at-grade intersections instead of ramps, but I'm honestly not sure if there would be a case for ramps here. Beware that the transition going into the tunnel involves an extremely large bump which, combined with the tighter-than-expected corner, can easily throw you into the wall. @Gamergull's Traffic Tool may be of quite some use here, though I don't know if the public version supports multi-lane traffic yet or whether it will work with the tunnel.

Freeway Outer Loop (blue line)
    Distance: 3.3 miles
    Lowest elevation: 431 ft
    Highest elevation: 492 ft
    Elevation gap: 61 ft
    Part of possible runs: 2

This is the slightly-more-open outer (clockwise) loop of Utah's "freeway". Again, @Gamergull's Traffic Tool may help to wake this road up a little bit, assuming multi-lane is live and works with the tunnel.

West Coast, USA

SLCN: -234 feet
    Temperature: 75F at default spawn point

The second most recent developer map, it portrays a fictional California city called Belasco City, which appears to be an amalgamation of San Francisco, Los Angeles, and their outlying areas. Is the second vanilla map after Utah to feature freeways, but is also apparently known for having AI paths that don't make a lot of sense when you introduce multiple cars into the mix. Includes a racetrack as well, and a reasonably well-designed one at that, at least by my cursory assessment.

upload_2019-6-8_23-16-27.png

Mt. Wallis (red line)
    Distance: 1.7 miles
    Lowest elevation: 235 ft
    Highest elevation: 428 ft
    Elevation at north end: 296 ft
    Elevation at south end: 315 ft
    Elevation gap: 193 ft
    Elevation change: 19 ft

The main mountain road of the map, labeled as "touge mountain" in an early pre-release diagram of the map It also had a slightly different and much shorter route then (one of the connecting roads would have originally been the south end). That corner became rather evil on the southbound run...

Interestingly enough, the length of this road is very similar to that of what was the last remaining non-residentialized segment of Mulholland Drive (between Skyline and Coldwater Canyon). No idea whether this was intentional.

Redwood forest (orange line)
    Distance: 0.66 miles
    Lowest elevation: 140 ft
    Highest elevation: 310 ft
    Elevation at east end: 214 ft
    Elevation at west end: 140 ft
    Elevation gap: 170 ft
    Elevation change: 74 ft

The redwood forest road, curvy but too short to care about as far as I'm concerned. It did stay remarkably true to the original road plan.

Coastal cliffside (yellow line)
    Distance: 0.46 miles

Lowest elevation: 101 ft
    Highest elevation: 176 ft
    Elevation at east end: 176 ft
    Elevation at west end: 101 ft
    Elevation gap: 75 ft
    Elevation change: 75 ft

A mildly curvy coastal road that barely counts as a road of interest.

Highway 110 westbound (yellow-green line)
    Distance: 1.5 miles (I didn't include the dirt offramp even though I probably should have)
    Surface: 100% asphalt (See above)
    Lowest elevation: 105 ft (See above)
    Highest elevation: 151 ft
    Elevation at east end: 151 ft
    Elevation at west end: 110 ft
    Elevation gap: 46 ft
    Elevation change: 41 ft
    Part of possible runs: 2

The main freeway cutting across the map, dividing the city from the countryside. This is its westbound carriageway, measured from the tollbooths to the construction. Makes an alright place to test a car's "reasonable" top speed, but to make it interesting would require a rival racer or, as much as I hate to say it, a way to make @Gamergull's Traffic Tool work properly on this map, unless it actually does work on the freeway already (I know he had a multi-lane version in the works but don't know if it's been released yet).

Highway 110 eastbound (green line)
    Lowest elevation: 114 ft
    Highest elevation: 199 ft
    Elevation at east end: 199 ft
    Elevation at west end: 115 ft
    Elevation gap: 85 ft
    Elevation change: 84 ft
    Part of possible runs: 3

The main freeway cutting across the map, this time the eastbound carriageway measured from its tollbooths to the top of the easternmost offramp.

Highway 54 northbound (other green line, seriously, Paint.NET calls them different colors but they're indistinguishable on my screen)
    Lowest elevation: 89 ft
    Highest elevation: 313 ft
    Elevation at north end: 94 ft
    Elevation at south end: 313 ft
    Elevation gap: 224 ft
    Elevation change: 219 ft
    Part of possible runs: 3

The ring freeway running around the south and west of the map. This is the northbound/westbound carriageway, measured from the top of the easternmost onramp to the intersection at the north end.

Highway 54 southbound (blue-green line)
    Lowest elevation: 89 ft
    Highest elevation: 313 ft
    Elevation at north end: 95 ft
    Elevation at south end: 313 ft
    Elevation gap: 224 ft
    Elevation change: 218 ft
    Part of possible runs: 4

The south/west ring freeway again, this time the southbound/eastbound carriageway measured from the intersection at the north end to the top of the easternmost offramp.

Belasco Speedway Long Race Circuit 1 (other blue-green line, seriously PDN?)
    Distance: 2.7 miles
    Lowest elevation: 156 ft
    Highest elevation: 296 ft
    Start elevation: 242 ft
    Elevation gap: 140 ft
    Possible runs: 2

Is this place called Belasco Speedway? I don't know, but I'm sticking with it until someone tells me a more official one. It's BeamNG's most polished racetrack so far, with a very passable layout and much bespoke decoration. Seems to have a high average speed with that massive back straightaway, but is not without its technical sections.

Somehow, this track manages to be a perfect example of the things I don't like about racetracks, and yet also remain perfectly acceptable.

Belasco Speedway Long Race Circuit 2 (light blue line)
    Distance: 2.7 miles
    Lowest elevation: 156 ft
    Elevation gap: 140 ft

The main circuit, with a rounded chicane to break up that endless back straight. Length barely changes, elevation data doesn't.

Belasco Speedway Short Race Circuit (blue line)
    Distance: 1.6 miles
    Lowest elevation: 174 ft
    Elevation gap: 122 ft

A tight and technical short circuit. Make it a little narrower and a lot longer, replace the rumble curbs with ditches, and you have my dream racetrack right here.

Belaso Speedway Alternative Race Circuit (dark blue line)
    Distance: 1.2 miles
    Lowest elevation: 156ft
    Highest elevation: 234 ft
    Start elevation: 158 ft
    Elevation gap: 78 ft

A shortened circuit made from the west section of the main course. Manages to make something tight from fairly straightforward roads. Has its own hot pit!

Belasco Speedway Drift Circuit (blurple line)
    Distance: 0.48 miles
    Lowest elevation: 240 ft
    Highest elevation: 247 ft
    Start elevation: 244 ft
    Elevation gap: 7 ft

A very short circuit laid out around the paddock, presumably for drifting and club or demolition racing. Parking lot was probably intended to be flat, but seems to fall slightly towards the west. Also possible that this circuit was intended to be a round half-mile but was not measured properly by me.

Belasco Speedway Off-Road Circuit (purple line)
    Distance: 0.65 miles
    Lowest elevation: 251 ft
    Highest elevation: 290 ft
    Start elevation: 252 ft
    Elevation gap: 39 ft

A short and bumpy dirt track in the infield of the main circuit. May have been intended as a round two-thirds of a mile. That jump is surprisingly easy to clear, also very easy to overshoot...

Not sure what's supposed to be raced here... trophy trucks? Rallycross cars?

Belasco Speedway Off-Road Oval (pink line)
    Distance: 0.40 miles
    Lowest elevation: 184 ft
    Highest elevation: 186 ft
    Start elevation: 185 ft
    Elevation gap: 2 ft
    Possible runs: 2 (if you want to commit the unspeakable crime against everything that is running an oval clockwise)

Belasco Speedway's infield dirt track, where things like sprint cars would race if there were any in the game. I suspect it may have been patterned off three-eighths-mile ovals, however that's a bit of a stretch.

Belasco Speedway Off-Road Figure 8 (reddish-pink line)

Distance: 0.44 miles
    Lowest elevation: 182 ft
    Highest elevation: 186 ft
    Start elevation: 182 ft
    Elevation gap: 4 ft

Belasco Speedway's infield dirt track, made into a figure of eight for maximeme carnage.

MOD MAPS

Yellav Valley by @Ouerbacker

Size: 4.1 square miles/10.6 square kilometers
    SLCN: +96 feet
    Temperature: 56F at default spawn point

The classic @Ouerbacker map, still working perfectly to this day. Much larger than most vanilla maps, but also very sparse and thus very FPS-friendly. Bridge transitions are rough and can show a visible gap when seen from certain angles, but the map is otherwise well-made. Altitude seems low for the environment presented.

upload_2019-2-24_2-41-13.png

Perimeter Road (orange line)
    Distance: 4.3 miles
    Lowest elevation: 829 ft
    Highest elevation: 1,145 ft
    Elevation gap: 316 ft

The high-speed perimeter loop, with many easily-overcooked corners and at least one jump which will try to banana your car.

Northernmost Road (red line)
    Distance: 2.1 miles
    Lowest elevation: 753 ft
    Highest elevation: 1,258 ft
    Elevation at east end: 892 ft
    Elevation at west end: 876 ft
    Elevation gap: 505 ft
    Elevation change: 16 ft

A road looping up the side of a mountain and back down. A real brake cooker, and some cars will struggle with the climbs as well, but surprisingly not that difficult to drive without crashing.

North/south Road (yellow line)
    Distance: 2.3 miles
    Lowest elevation: 718 ft
    Highest elevation: 963 ft
    Elevation at north end: 958 ft
    Elevation at south end: 963 ft
    Elevation gap: 245 ft
    Elevation change: 5 ft

A road crossing the map from north to south. The further north, the more technical.

Antenna Connector Road (yellow-green line)
    Distance: 1.0 miles (barely)
    Lowest elevation: 777 ft
    Highest elevation: 952 ft
    Elevation at east end: 952 ft
    Elevation at west end: 777 ft
    Elevation gap: 175 ft
    Elevation change: 175 ft

Despite the length and the elevation statistics, this one actually has quite a bit of undulation... quite a bit of evil undulation. It descends from the perimeter loop, past a radio mast, through an (abandoned?) town, down into the middle of the valley. Any time attack you did on this road would probably be shorter than a mile, which is my usual cutoff, but I'll let it slide since the road itself passes muster.

South Connector Road (green line)
    Lowest elevation: 726 ft
    Highest elevation: 944 ft
    Elevation at east end: 944 ft
    Elevation at west end: 726 ft
    Elevation gap: 218 ft
    Elevation change: 218 ft

A barrage of hairpins and other assorted technicality snaking down into the valley from the perimeter road.

#1 NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck, Feb 3, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
    • Like Like x 5
  2. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

You probably will like this:
    https://www.beamng.com/resources/sandy-mountain.2644/

Also these:
    https://www.beamng.com/resources/nevada-interstate-prequel-to-so-cal-interstate.922/
    https://www.beamng.com/resources/tail-of-the-dragon-deals-gap.2702/

Also your CPU temp is oddly high, check your VCORE, if it is auto, it can be too high and you might need to set it to offset and lower it, although I have no idea how hot Ryzen is supposed to run, but I would think that is bit high.

Oh and remember, strong force feedback is bad force feedback, too much clipping, on/off forces, does not tell information when tail starts to go, so usually lower forces are needed.
    Check how to adjust level of FFB so that it does not clip too much https://www.beamng.com/threads/guide-to-ffb.56886

3. Capkirk

Capkirk
    Expand Collapse

I'm not sure how similar the G27 and G29 are, but I can give you settings for my G29 that feel pretty good.

• Like Like x 1
  4. NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck

NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck
    Expand Collapse

Thought they were pretty similar, not sure though.

5. Capkirk

Capkirk
    Expand Collapse

Well, here's my settings if you wanna try
    ffbsettings.png

6. MrAnnoyingDude

MrAnnoyingDude
    Expand Collapse

"Dirt roads other than one at Utah are not included yet because my dirt driving skills are even worse than my normal driving skills."

Given your talk about speed, street racing and clean driving, I'm not at all surprised that I laughed at it.

7. NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck

NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck
    Expand Collapse

It's a lot harder to drive quickly in a game than in real life, ironically enough. In real life, sitting in a real car that's really moving, you can feel the subtle shifts in a car's balance that can indicate the start of a skid. In a game, you really only have sight, (often quiet) sound, and a little bit of steering feel, which delays your response badly - plus my G27 seems to put up a lot more resistance when I'm trying to countersteer than the steering wheel any real car I've ever driven, resistance I'm afraid to push too hard against lest I send stuff flying off my desk.

Also, I can somewhat fake competence by using paddle shifters and a car with ABS. Sometimes. I did almost get a somewhat decent run on the Utah canyon in the Pessima 2.0 ZX (i.e. crutch car) after some practice but then went over the edge on the second-to-last corner (there-and-back run).

What I'm working towards...

Versus what actually happens...

upload_2019-2-3_22-35-38.jpeg

(Amazed the roof held up, to be honest)

upload_2019-2-3_22-44-8.jpeg
    upload_2019-2-3_22-50-22.jpeg
    upload_2019-2-3_23-1-23.jpeg

Not a cheaty freezframe; I laid that Moonhawk perfectly on its side and let it steady out.

upload_2019-2-3_23-13-49.jpeg
    upload_2019-2-3_23-22-8.jpeg

(Usually a rather trustworthy car, but there was no saving it with how hot I went into that corner)

upload_2019-2-3_23-28-50.jpeg

(Surprisingly my favorite so far, also has weak brakes so that stepping on the gas and brakes at the same time will cause it to do a burnout. Also a very stiff frame; you can see how far it bounced back after hitting that rock! Damage looks minimal but this hit took out the driveshaft and would have smeared the driver's face all over the steering wheel.)

upload_2019-2-3_23-43-49.jpeg

(2.0 Sport manual, the engine is punchy and the chassis is playful, but also a little bit nervous without the ESC, and the engine will easily spin up the front tires resulting in bletcherous on-power push. The result is something which is surprisingly very fast, but feels like work to drive quickly and requires an entirely different rhythm that I couldn't get to grips with. I went into the corner way too fast, slid into the guardrail, and turned over.)

#7 NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck, Feb 4, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

It is kinda easier in game to go really really fast, but something like spirited driving is lot harder than IRL.

Racing simulators and some other games like to make things bit easier instead of full on realistic, because it is really really hard without feeling all the forces, air movements etc. So to have more people enjoy fun racing some compromises are needed.

I did improve this time to 2:11.xxx, but you might get some ideas if you practice such run:

You can get car and stuff from this thread:
    https://www.beamng.com/threads/group-n-ish-racing-championship.60671/

After practicing enough on race track, then you might find driving fast on roads is easier.

Also if you take video of speedometer of your car and then compare to speeds you are using in game, you will be surprised, what you think is not even close most of the time.

• Like Like x 1
  9. NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck

NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck
    Expand Collapse

I spent several hours collecting data to massively update the main post, and the tab just randomly closed itself while I was finishing up. Are you freakin' kidding me right now. I didn't even have that written down anywhere else.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Always write to notepad or something else when doing long posts, always, these internet things will fail you reliably.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck

NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck
    Expand Collapse

Good advice; when I started I probably wasn't planning to take as long as I did, either that or it's just my usual poor planning and bacheloric idiocy getting me again. I probably clipped the wrong combination of keys by accident, who knows.

12. NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck

NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck
    Expand Collapse

Update no one cares about: this post will include mod maps (approximately "whichever ones I feel like downloading") from here on. OP will be updated in stages to reflect this. First update is tonight, with @Ouerbacker's old "Yellav Valley" map finding its way into the OP.

#12 NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck, Feb 24, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
  13. NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck

NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck
    Expand Collapse

UPDATE NOTICE: West Coast, USA has been massively updated. Further changes may be coming to ensure full congruence with official naming conventions.

MORE UPDATE NOTICE: Said further updates have been put in place

#13 NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck, Feb 26, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2019
  14. NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck

NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck
    Expand Collapse

Data gathering and map-marking for Utah is finished; OP should be updated later tonight.

Maybe when this is done, I'll go to the wiki contributor's group and see if the information from the "Dev Maps" section has a place there...

15. NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck

NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck
    Expand Collapse

Utah has been fully updated!

16. Copunit12

Copunit12
    Expand Collapse

East Coast USA. Red and blue can be both used a street race but the green line you need both for a circuit race.
    upload_2019-3-22_0-58-38.png

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck

NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck
    Expand Collapse

Was planning to add that loop at some point. May be a while though... have to record more videos for Reddit (even though no one seems to be offering any opinions on Hirochi raceway) and won't be able to do much of anything next week.

18. NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck

NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck
    Expand Collapse

Thread has finally been updated with Small Island, USA, plus three roadless maps. Jungle Rock Island next, assuming I don't forget about this again.

19. NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck

NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck
    Expand Collapse

I added much higher quality maps (based on high-resolution quickrace thumbnails from the wiki) to Utah, USA and Small Island, USA, plus changed a few words here and there, did some cleanup and standardization...

Oh, and I added Jungle Rock Island, with a quickrace-thumbnail map.

I might try to add a few more mod maps next.

20. DriftinCovet1987

DriftinCovet1987
    Expand Collapse

Are you planning on doing the Industrial Site tracks at all? I loved racing on those, especially the racetrack, as they could provide so many different layouts in such small (and resource-conserving) areas.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice