Liquid in vehicles

Discussion in 'Ideas and Suggestions' started by JDMGuy, Oct 6, 2016.

1. JDMGuy

JDMGuy
    Expand Collapse

Is is possible to make liquids spill when some nodes or beams are broken? so, when you crash the TastiCola truck down a hill, all the TastiCola leaks out and if you drive in it with another car in it it acts like water.

2. gigawert

gigawert
    Expand Collapse

3. bowdlerize

bowdlerize
    Expand Collapse

Liquid is hell to simulate to the point that engineers wanting accurate simulation with either spend days to simulate a couple of minutes or hire time on a supercomputer.
    While I would love to see accurate liquid simulation in games I seriously doubt I'll see it in the next 30 years unless we get a major breakthrough in home computing.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Michaelflat

Michaelflat
    Expand Collapse

unless its GPU simulated, although it still would have to be pretty basic

5. Bernd

Bernd
    Expand Collapse

Oil and fuel leaking from damaged cars would be a great feature. We already have the "fueltank ruptured" occurrence. I think oil and fuel puddles stamped on the road, similar to tiremarks and without any animation, should be possible.

• Like Like x 6
  6. mms

mms
    Expand Collapse

I agree. this should be a feature.

7. Dr. Death

Dr. Death
    Expand Collapse

GPU simulated realistic liquids its very much done already. But only Nvidia has been shown to be able to do it, and even if you could do something similar with AMD, it would mean having unique liquid simulation per GPU type.

8. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

No it wouldn't. The only GPGPU computing option available to AMD users is OpelCL which also works on nvidia cards. CUDA on nvidia cards tends to perform faster than OpenCL on AMD which in turn it's slightly faster than OpenCL on NVidia. It's very much possible on AMD.

Even on nvidia it's never been shown as possible in real-time along with a useful load though. It eats into gpu performance to be performing GPGPU computing at the same time

9. Dr. Death

Dr. Death
    Expand Collapse

But then its the same issue. This would make prioritizing a GPU over the other, and there are SOME people that use integrated GPU cards.

10. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

well yeah, prioritizing the GPU will always be the issue. But OpenCL is also supported on integrated cards

11. Car8john

Car8john
    Expand Collapse

It could be done, theoretically, but it would be hell on any computer

12. AlexZ14

AlexZ14
    Expand Collapse

Smash a cola truck, bottles come out, not straight up cola. It's packaged.

A few pallets fall out, some smash and expose some bottles, and 2-3 bottles break open maybe

13. atv_123

atv_123
    Expand Collapse

I think a simpler way to do something like this would be to have the "liquid" spilled out onto the ground just change the color in that particular area... you know... like an oil spill would do. Perhaps some slight simulation to figure out where it would go, but that's it. Then the area with a different color on the ground would also have a different friction coefficient. This way we could simulate oil or... I suppose "cola" spills and keep the heavy duty simulation at its minimum. It wouldn't look as good as a simulated wave pouring out of a tipped tanker truck, but it also wouldn't take a week to simulate either.

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice