WIP Beta released Leap Of Death 0.5.1

A car-wrecking, hole of doom!

1. FunkyHunk

FunkyHunk
    Expand Collapse

FunkyHunk submitted a new resource:

Leap Of Death - A car-wrecking, hole of doom!

Read more about this resource...

• Like Like x 1
  2. garretton

garretton
    Expand Collapse

hi this map looks very cool , but when I go to install it doesn't show up in the freeroam area

3. Floppydopda

Floppydopda
    Expand Collapse

Did you use the "Install" button? If you did press it, BeamNG should have launched immediately and the download should begin.

4. torsion

torsion
    Expand Collapse

You have indeed made a few updates and tweaks! :)
    1. Good job getting the dam textures fixed, that was a fly in the ointment!
    2. Water density is off, it's currently 500 and I think that it should be 100 to kill engines in the normal way. Just check any stock map for comparison. I wouldn't call the map "v0.5 compatible" if the water still isn't killing engines. ;-)
    3. I probably understand why you moved the spawn point to the bottom, but...
      (a) Isn't the immediate appeal of this map supposed to be kind of like the cliff map? Open map and then smash things?
      (b) It's probably easier for the average 'noob' to CTRL+R at the bottom after flinging themself off of the cliff than to SHIFT+C and then F7 to get the spawn moved from the bottom to the top.
      (c) Have you considered adding a couple of scenarios, one for taking the road down and one for taking the road up?
    To elaborate on 3(c)... I think that it's good that you decided to disable the cycling time-of-day object for the map itself. If you liked that idea though... there's absolutely no reason you couldn't add it back in a scenario. That's a more appropriate place for it. You could even slow it down a bit and start the scenario closer to sunset, that would be my suggestion.

Maybe a "You have no headlights, get out of this hole before you lose the light" scenario would be nice. I think it's probably possible to pull altitude from a variable... so the scenario could be setup to be fiendishly difficult to the point where a typical try would be a fail yet give a message based on altitude... "With only 198 meters left to go to the lip, total darkness descends." or similar.

5. Sagarci

Sagarci
    Expand Collapse

screenshot_00043.png
    Water Doesn't put out the fire

6. Owiko7

Owiko7
    Expand Collapse

once you reach the halfway point to the bottom, the roads become impossible (not difficult or hard because that would imply that there is possibility) and some of them look like they were done in an hour, I have spent too long trying to fix the random jagged/ spikey bits of the road and make some of the extremely tight road areas open to allow a car to even pass through, there are countless spots that no vehicle can pass simply because the road is at an angle so steep it might as well be a cliff. I used the gavril H-series offroader, the Roamer offroader, the DWB rock crawler and none can pass these bits of the road way. Please fix these things, it would make the map so much better. (if you want pictures, I will send screen shots of the spots)

7. FunkyHunk

FunkyHunk
    Expand Collapse

2: I'll have a look at the water and see if I'll get that fixed.

3A: That was the point of the original version of the map, that's why I included the thread for the original thread of the game :) I created this version because I've always wanted a road from the bottom and to the top of the map.
    3B: the spawnpoints are randomly chosen, but if enough people want it, I'll delete the one on the bottom.
    3C .I've also had a look at making a few scenarios, one for the way up, and one for the way down. But the scenarios are difficult to create, and will take some time to figure out. But they will get there eventually :)

I'm working on it for the next update :)

If you would be so kind as to provide a few screenshots of the jagged areas, that would be great :) I have some idea on where you talk about, and will look into it.

8. Owiko7

Owiko7
    Expand Collapse

If you would be so kind as to provide a few screenshots of the jagged areas, that would be great :) I have some idea on where you talk about, and will look into it.[/QUOTE]
    Here are some of the spots, the jagged points have and will puncture tires on some vehicles, the picture with the roamer shows the spot where the road deflects the car straight off of the hill, some of the spots are places were there are some sort of invisible barrier or glitch in the map (the bumper of cars randomly falls off when driving down and the vehicle cannot pass as if it were a wall) some steep hills have too much aggressive bumps making it unreasonably difficult to drive up and maintain momentum, I have made it up by editing the map in various spots using highly tuned versions of the roamer and D-series, the bridges and roadway that travel around the middle section of the quarry will pop the tires of the Gavril Burnside (must be a clipping issue, it also removes the exhaust).

Attached Files:

• 2015-12-29_00002.jpg
    • 2015-12-29_00003.jpg
    • 2015-12-30_00001.jpg
    • 2015-12-31_00001.jpg
    • 2015-12-31_00002.jpg
    • 2015-12-31_00003.jpg
    • 2015-12-31_00004.jpg
    • 2015-12-31_00005.jpg
    • 2015-12-31_00006.jpg
    • 2015-12-31_00007.jpg
    • 2015-12-31_00008.jpg
    • 2015-12-31_00009.jpg
  9. fly72j

fly72j
    Expand Collapse

Well, I totally LOVE this map!! One problem though...sometimes, I am spawned at the top near the ramp, which is where I want to spawn every time, and then other times, I am spawned at the very bottom of the hole. How can this be fixed?

10. FunkyHunk

FunkyHunk
    Expand Collapse

Here are some of the spots, the jagged points have and will puncture tires on some vehicles, the picture with the roamer shows the spot where the road deflects the car straight off of the hill, some of the spots are places were there are some sort of invisible barrier or glitch in the map (the bumper of cars randomly falls off when driving down and the vehicle cannot pass as if it were a wall) some steep hills have too much aggressive bumps making it unreasonably difficult to drive up and maintain momentum, I have made it up by editing the map in various spots using highly tuned versions of the roamer and D-series, the bridges and roadway that travel around the middle section of the quarry will pop the tires of the Gavril Burnside (must be a clipping issue, it also removes the exhaust).[/QUOTE]

These roads going up/down the track are made to be difficult.
    I made the roads to present a challenge that only some could complete using carefully selected cars, picking the lines very carefully to get to the goal.
    Regarding the invisible/jagged lines, you have to be more specific about where these are, i know about a few in this pic, around the middle to lower part of the hill.

I will look in to the road around the quarry, I've had problems with the bridges hooking up/catching on the undercarriage of the lower cars, I thought I had solved them, but apparently not :)

Use the terrain editor to delete the spawn point at the bottom of the track, then you should only spawn at the top. If not, maybe I'll remove the spawn point at the bottom at a later update :)

11. Owiko7

Owiko7
    Expand Collapse

[/QUOTE]These roads going up/down the track are made to be difficult.
    I made the roads to present a challenge that only some could complete using carefully selected cars, picking the lines very carefully to get to the goal.
    Regarding the invisible/jagged lines, you have to be more specific about where these are, i know about a few in this pic, around the middle to lower part of the hill.

I will look in to the road around the quarry, I've had problems with the bridges hooking up/catching on the undercarriage of the lower cars, I thought I had solved them, but apparently not :)

Use the terrain editor to delete the spawn point at the bottom of the track, then you should only spawn at the top. If not, maybe I'll remove the spawn point at the bottom at a later update :)[/QUOTE]

I know they are supposed to be difficult, but only being able to use 1 or 2 cars with specific tunes can get boring, for a suggestion, if there was 2 possible roads to the halfway mark (current one and a slightly less difficult alternate route) would be cool. As for the jagged/ invisible lines, I will find the invisible edge area and screenshot it for you, the jagged bump like this (see picture below) throws the vehicle off the road instantly when you hit them, it must be that it slopes to the left, but if you are carrying the momentum needed to climb back to the top of the hill, the vehicle will almost always get directed off the cliff, most of the pictures I took were of the random spots that the cars tires would randomly burst, could be the game but not to sure.

Attached Files:

• 2015-12-31_00002.jpg
    #11 Owiko7, Dec 31, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2016
  12. torsion

torsion
    Expand Collapse

2. I think I made a mistake earlier. Glancing at my own map for a moment, I think it's these settings you want for proper water:
    density = "1000";
    viscosity = "1";
    liquidType = "Water";

3A. Fair enough.
    3B. Somehow I missed the fact that you kept the older spawnpoint and added the new one. I even noticed that the new one was named differently in the .mis, but all the time I spent with the map was one long session. At the end of the day I still don't think that a random spawn point is a good solution. For a hacky solution you could include another .zip with an alternate .mis file which moves the spawn. I think that simply naming it to be lower in the load order will allow it to overwrite.
    3C. A basic scenario
    (where one must hit a series of checkpoints in order and that's it) is not hard at all. Have you seen this? Introduction to scenarios creation (be sure to pay attention to my post #39 in that thread for now).

You seem to be doing something that is breaking the quotes. Are you deleting the beginning of the quote by accident or something? EDIT: was I just crazy? Your most recent post looks OK now.

13. FunkyHunk

FunkyHunk
    Expand Collapse

I have corrected the lakes with the correct density and viscosity from the other maps, with 1000 density, and 1 viscosity. Did that a couple of hours ago :p
    I am currently working on the bridges on the road around the quarry, then they will get ai-detectable decal roads, then maybe I'll look at the scenarios. Maybe do a few tests first :)

14. Owiko7

Owiko7
    Expand Collapse

The wall next to the covet in the 2nd, 3rd 4rth and 5th pictures, you get close but the car cant make contact. also the last picture is from the bridge catching the car (R.I.P covet) the first picture is of the bumper remover.

Attached Files:

• 2015-12-31_00010.jpg
    • 2015-12-31_00011.jpg
    • 2015-12-31_00012.jpg
    • 2015-12-31_00013.jpg
    • 2015-12-31_00014.jpg
  15. FunkyHunk

FunkyHunk
    Expand Collapse

I have had a look at the bridges, and there seems to be a problem with the collision model, because when the entrance to the bridge is over ground level it can hook into tires or bumpers if the car is low enough. I've lowered the bridges so that this wont be a problem anymore. If you manage to do this after the next update it's your own fault :p
    Also the map isn't made to be used with small hatchbacks, but with offroad cars with good ground clearance :)

Regarding the places with "invisible" terrain protruding, making the car hook up/crash, i'll have a look at redesigning that bit of road as it has bothered me for a long time.

16. torsion

torsion
    Expand Collapse

1. On the bridge problem: There is a known limitation of the game's collision engine regarding sharp angles. Your bridge assets are outdated, re-import them from Port. As you can see, the collision box has been updated to provide transition surfaces.
      leap-of-death_bridgeproblem.jpg
    2. I think I've also noticed the invisible terrain in the past. I think that can be impractical to share these locations using screenshots. IMO the easy/accurate way to share a location (once found) is to pause physics (j), switch to the editor (F11), scroll to the bottom the Scene Tree on the right and highlight "thePlayer", then copy the "position" and paste it in here. That way it's easy to teleport exactly there.
    I don't really understand how the invisible terrain thing is working though. I haven't seen that issue on any other maps.

17. Owiko7

Owiko7
    Expand Collapse

I only used the hatch back because I could turn it around on the thin roads to travel back and forth around the spot for those pictures. also the coordinates from the vehicle were -1554.98 746.813 924.599

#17 Owiko7, Jan 1, 2016
  18. FunkyHunk

FunkyHunk
    Expand Collapse

1: I copied and replaced the updated dae from the port map in the leap of death folder, but the problem is still the same. ind_obj_04_b.dae is longer than ind_obj_04_a.dae which has the rounded collision box. I'll try to replace them all with the A version, but it's a LOT of work replacing 45ish bridges. We'll see how much I am willing to do with this.
    2: That one really has me stumped. I'll see what i'll do with that.

Ah, okay. I'll have a look to see if I can do :)

#18 FunkyHunk, Jan 1, 2016
  19. Spartacus

Spartacus
    Expand Collapse

Love this new update and test the vehicles that can make it to the top. Well done! :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  20. torsion

torsion
    Expand Collapse

On the current version of Port, both "a" and "b" have the rounded collision box. I just checked to make sure. Since you mentioned "the problem is still the same" I did a test with the long version. I elevated it above the driving surface at 3 different heights, then drove across with the default D15, then with the Covet, and finally with the Grand Marshal. Here is a recording of the Grand Marshal navigating the bridges at a good speed with absolutely no tire-grabbing in v0.5.1.0:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice