Laptop is now Craptop...Any Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by SHOme1289, Oct 6, 2015.

1. SHOme1289

SHOme1289
    Expand Collapse

No, this is not a "which computer should I get next"...

My laptop crapped out on me a few mmonths back, so I have not had the chance to play any of the updates for BNG since even before the 200BX came out. All I can remember happening was I was using my laptop at work (I transport it back and fourth to and from work) and all of a sudden, the . (period) key appeared to be stuck, so I shut it down, then upon restarting, and to this day, it goes to the windows logo, then to this screen that tries to "system repair" so I let it do it's thing, then it just kinda...does nothing. I can reboot and get to the F2 and F4 screens, one of which is the system restore (its a Samsung, so it goes to the green restore low-pixel screen) and it does not recover from there either. My uncle, who is tech saavy more than I am, suggested I format my HDD and reinstall windows. Any ideas? I know its vague, not with the computer right now, but I will be home soon and can kinda explain it in more detail. But it sucks and I lost my 4WD Covet DAE etc as well as the games I love to play, so if all is not lost, I would love to get it back going again (luckily the DAE, seen in Dev Screens thread, is actually on my google drive...whew it was a lot of work lol)

Thanks! and I am not sure if this is the right place to put this thread, the sub-forums keep getting shuffled around....

2. atv_123

atv_123
    Expand Collapse

Do you happen to have a repair disk for the computer? I realize that if it was a laptop capable of playing BeamNG then its probably new enough that it is after the whole repair CD phase that computers used to come with. If you do have one that has your OS on it (Guessing Win7 or something of that nature?) you should be able to repair your OS or even do a fresh install right over top of the old OS.

With Windows 7 (don't know if Vista did it, I never touched that stuff) you can have the option in the installer to do a fresh install or a repair. On the fresh install it will usually detect that you have a previous install on the hard drive already and give you the option to save all your old programs in a Windows.old file. Not the most convenient, but it does work. The repair tool does what it says on the tin (need I say more?)

If that isn't an option, you don't have a Windows install disk, or you don't want to risk loosing your stuff, get your Uncle to make you (or he might have one) an Ubuntu live CD (or you can get a free one in the mail, but downloading and burning isn't that hard). Once you have that CD you can stick that in your computer and boot it up (usually you have to hit F2 or F12 on your computers Bios Splash screen to get into the boot selector screen, sounds like you know how to do that already though). Once there and met with the Ubuntu splash screen (or whatever they are doing these days... its been a while) you can select either Live CD or Try without Installing... I don't remember which, its one of the two. This will Boot Ubuntu from your CD drive. It wont be fast, but if you have an external hard drive, this will enable you to grab anything you want off of your hard drive so that you have a backup of your material.

Those are the two options I can think of off the top of my head this very moment... If you have more description on your problem, we may be able to circumvent these and try something else.

3. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

Might be stuck in repair mode for some reason. Try spamming the F8 key on boot, see if you get to a screen to choose recovery, safe mode etc. If that works, try to boot in safe mode and see if it works.
    Which version of Windows is it, anyway?

If safe mode doesn't work, then Windows is probably broken. You should use a Windows setup drive. If you don't have one, download the ISO from Microsoft and use the key provided with your laptop. If your laptop has a Windows 7/8 key and you have *already* upgraded to 10 and activated it with that key, you should be able to use the key for a Windows 10 install. Otherwise, download whatever version of Windows your laptop had when you bought it.

Once you have a setup drive, reinstall Windows, use a Linux live CD or remove the hard drive and put it in another PC if you want to back up files.

4. SHOme1289

SHOme1289
    Expand Collapse

it is Windows 7 Home Premium I believe. Yes it appears to be stuck in a repair boot/loop, I will spam F8 tonite when I get home and see what's up with that...IIRC I have the choice to press F2 and F4, I have to see again later...it boots so fast that it only displays that screen with those F choices for like 1 second, IF that.

In regards to the CD, I do not have any CDs for this laptop since I bought it from a co-worker back in my Chevrolet days.

- - - Updated - - -

And, how can I download an ISO from Microsoft if I cannot get passed this annoying repair boot/loop?

- - - Updated - - -

I can certainly try all of those suggestions, I do not have an ExHDD so not sure if that would be a viable option...and regardless, there is nothing really worth saving, since all the games I play are thru Steam. I had actually just done a complete system restore/factory image a month or so before this all happened (my computer has been in my living room since....jeez, probably June now). I just wanna play BNG again lol that's about it.

5. youdidwhat!!

youdidwhat!!
    Expand Collapse

if all else fails I know of a good company that makes really nice hammers

J.Clarkson & co

6. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

Well, you need another computer. If you don't have one you could ask a friend to use theirs or something.
    F8 is a Windows thing btw, so won't show up in your POST screen. If F8 does nothing then Windows is *very* fucked up and you should just nuke it.

7. SHOme1289

SHOme1289
    Expand Collapse

didn't have a chance last night, but if I spam F8 upon a complete restart/cold start, it should bring me to the screen where I select safe mode? might be what I need to at least get back to my desktop...annoying...OK ill report back with any findings. I found a windows 7 install disk here at work and I have the original Windows key on the bottom of my laptop cover, so if I can get that working, then maybe I can just reinstall windows. Of course, if the harddrive is bust, I might just get another computer. But that will not happen for at least a year, because grown up responsibilities.

8. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

It doesn't sound like a bad hard drive. Make sure the Win7 version you found matches the one your key is for, else it won't work.

Also, if the hard drive is somehow bad, don't throw away a whole computer, just replace the hard drive. You can get a 1TB for like $60 anyway.

9. SHOme1289

SHOme1289
    Expand Collapse

OK so I am just going out on a limb and seeing if I can just install windows 7 over the previous install since this boot loop is so annoying....So, I am downloading 3.9 gigs worth of Windows7 media and wondering what to do with it now? I am almost done downloading it (took about 15 minutes for it to download, its done now) I want to put the .iso into my phone storage just so I have it as a complete file. whats the next step? I have access to an External HDD (moms) so would that help if I have that HDD and the .iso?

EDIT

It was about 3.3 gigs or so....below is a pic of the folder with everything I downloaded...does this look correct for the shit I need to get going?
    windows.png

Oh, and I cant seem to get it into my phones memory, wont let me drag and drop to copy, so it currently sits on my work computer desktop at the moment...

#9 SHOme1289, Oct 9, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
  10. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

Yes, those are the right files. However, you can't just copy the files to a USB hard drive and boot that, you should use this:
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/windows-usb-dvd-download-tool

Just download it, run it, it will ask for the ISO location and a USB drive or DVD to write. Keep in mind a USB drive will be formatted and all of its contents deleted when you run this program.

Then plug in the USB stick, power on and boot from that. Format HDD and install Windows.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice