WIP 1983-2001 Jeep Cherokee & Comanche (XJ and MJ)

Discussion in 'Land' started by atomspeed123, Apr 1, 2020.

1. gsk11740

gsk11740
    Expand Collapse

I was just kidding around when I posted that. I'm sure it will be quite capable.

• Like Like x 1
  2. cpufreak101

cpufreak101
    Expand Collapse

well nice to see this is now a thing, good luck with it!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Szymon2007

Szymon2007
    Expand Collapse

I wonder if this will get an arab dune climber config with like a 1000hp and a hood stack exhaust

4. atomspeed123

atomspeed123
    Expand Collapse

So here's the new route.
    upload_2020-4-29_15-8-37.png upload_2020-4-29_15-25-1.png
    I'm now laser-scanning my dad's XJ Orvis with an old Xbox 360 Kinect, and a £9.99 USB adapter off eBay. Yes, you did read that right.

This does mean that the '97+' (1997-2001) Cherokee will be made first, but that's not actually much of a problem at all. I can get much more detailed data, sound samples, recordings and textures off of this car because it's my dad's, and it ain't going anywhere fast right now. Engine sounds, interior chimes, even switchgear clicks, I can capture without having to use anyone else's time and effort - like with the photoscans, which I always felt a bit bad about.

So as it turns out, the first one that'll be made will be a UK-model, right-hand-drive, limited-edition 2000 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 Orvis, which is fine by me, 'cause it's the car I wanted to make in the first place. In truth, although I wanted to have all the other years/models of Cherokee done first for completion's sake, all I've really wanted is to have my dad's car to mess about with in-game.

As for the others, we'll figure it out. Converting the model from RHD to LHD isn't too difficult, and for older models, @byterace has a newer Xbox One Kinect, which he's been having a go at scanning his 1992 Laredo with. Huge thanks to him, by the way, because if it wasn't for his idea of using a Kinect to scan these Jeeps, I never would've got to this point! :D

What's next? Well, as I go, I'll be doing a scan of a certain area, modelling it, and then scanning another - and so on. The short scanning range of the 360 Kinect means I just can't get the whole car in one scan, but that's no problem.

• Like Like x 18
  5. 1086lee

1086lee
    Expand Collapse

I'm extremely excited to see this mod develop. Couldn't be any better unless someone made a Third Gen Camaro mod. I know you have your own XJ, but I've got a '97 Sport and would be happy to take pictures of anything you needed for reference. It's got a 3 inch lift and a few other mods but it might be useful for you. I can also record engine and exhaust sounds to go with yours, if you'd like some different sounds for a performance exhaust part or something. Good luck on your project, let me know if I can help!
    IMG-4274.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  6. HeepXJ40

HeepXJ40
    Expand Collapse

wow, i never even thought about using a kinect. im guessing you either had to get a really long wire to capture the data or a laptop?

7. atomspeed123

atomspeed123
    Expand Collapse

A laptop, an extension lead and a big mess of cables. Quite bulky to move about but cause it's on a lead, you can take quite a few different angles with the Kinect in your hand without having to move the 'rig'.

• Like Like x 1
  8. HeepXJ40

HeepXJ40
    Expand Collapse

ill have to try it for my car's interior and shit. photoscans are too hard with reflections

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Tahoe

Tahoe
    Expand Collapse

wow this is exiting are you thinking about making any jeep ZJ varients since they are very similar to the XJ? and also will you have jeep XJs from 1997-2001 along with 1984-1996? and when do you think you will be done with the project?

10. Szymon2007

Szymon2007
    Expand Collapse

Uhhh its on hold

11. Bassblaster505

Bassblaster505
    Expand Collapse

this mod def has me excited. i STILL use the original Blackfoot mod. For this V2 it would be cool to see the 2.5L engine too. i have a buddy who has a 2.5 5 speed 2 door XJ.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. atomspeed123

atomspeed123
    Expand Collapse

Most of the car has been scanned, aligned together and is ready to go:
    upload_2020-5-6_12-2-5.png upload_2020-5-6_12-3-28.png
    First of all, the ZJ isn't even close to the XJ, other than sharing the 4.0/2.5TD and some various parts-bin Chrysler parts. I do want to make one eventually, but I'm definitely going to wait until this XJ and MJ mod is fully complete before starting another car.

Second, this is a facelift Cherokee from 2000. I'm making the 97-01 versions first and then making the older ones after.

It will be done when it is finished.
    That is to say all versions of Cherokee, Comanche, and (XJ) Wagoneer, sold in all markets, are complete - as well as as many custom parts I can make are complete. Let's just say this won't be finished in the short term, think months instead of weeks. 1997-2001 versions complete by the end of this year, perhaps. I just don't know yet.

But yes, I do suppose it is quite exciting.

What I do know is that I can start making all sorts of different parts from these scans, then put the main body together with the photoscan(s) of the underside of the car. At least to start with, this is going to be made to base-game, Hopper-like levels of detail - so not super high-poly/detail like some mods - but instead mid-to-low poly with most of the more detailed cosmetics being done with normaled textures later on. It improves workflow and helps get this done much, much faster, rather than worrying over every little detail in each part.

• Like Like x 16
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Alijah465

Alijah465
    Expand Collapse

e p i c

14. Dayz Me Rollin'

Dayz Me Rollin'
    Expand Collapse

Does this mean I can finally post screenshots lol :D

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Fra92

Fra92
    Expand Collapse

It's good to see you are a truly Cherokee enthusiast! I own three XJ's myself and I can't wait to see your project finish, our community will owe you a big favor, maybe some jeep parts!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Cutlass

Cutlass
    Expand Collapse

I’m hoping we will get a turbo diesel

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Alex Knotek

Alex Knotek
    Expand Collapse

This is looking good so far

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. gianni28

gianni28
    Expand Collapse

sir u are a legend now I have to ask you to send me that comanche asap jk but really keep up the good work

19. LeeryCape4

LeeryCape4
    Expand Collapse

I really hope you get this done and fast I've been waiting for a comanche for so long. Good luck brother!

20. atomspeed123

atomspeed123
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the support so far, it's really appreciated :D

Just a small update to say I've started modelling the car; here are some front fenders and a hood:
    upload_2020-5-12_10-5-18.png
    upload_2020-5-12_10-6-33.png
    upload_2020-5-12_10-8-9.png

• Like Like x 15
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice