Jungle Rock Island Map

Discussion in 'Content Creation' started by Googlefluff, Sep 23, 2015.

1. Googlefluff

Googlefluff
    Expand Collapse

There's not really a category for this, so I guess I'll stick it here since it makes sense.

I was driving around Jungle Rock Island idly thinking about how BeamNG doesn't have a built-in map, unlike most free-roam games, and thought it would be neat if I made one myself. So, after three days bent over my Wacom, and driving nearly 300km (no, I'm not joking) around the island to make sure everything was right, I came up with this! It's sort of old-fashioned/fantasyish themed, which I think worked out quite well, and everything is hand-drawn. I also took the liberty of naming things, just to make it a little more convincing, and used the drawings on the side to subtly flesh-out the island's history. Obviously none of it is official so take it as you will and the names can easily be changed or removed if they get in the way of what the devs are doing :)

I actually really enjoyed this and plan on making one for East Coast USA as well, and maybe even ones for different games, all in this style. I'll see what you guys think of this one first. There are also a couple Easter eggs here and there so look for those ;)

Attached Files:

• Jungle Rock Island.jpg
  2. Atomix

Atomix
    Expand Collapse

That is pretty neat.

make some slight burns around the edges, so that it is exciting exploration map 101

3. estama

estama
    Expand Collapse
    Developer
    BeamNG Team

Awesome :) . Now it only needs an "X" to mark the treasure :p .

4. monte379

monte379
    Expand Collapse

Very cool although you should name it Mt.Hutch instead of Mt.Fink since LJFHutch makes the maps:)

5. Googlefluff

Googlefluff
    Expand Collapse

I assumed Gabe isn't the map guy but I actually have no idea what dev does what other than him lol. The idea is that it was named after the explorer who first landed on the island so naming it after LJFHutch makes infinitely more sense. I was going to name it Mt. O'Conner (random surname) but then Gabe popped into my head.

6. Occam's Razer

Occam's Razer
    Expand Collapse

Looks nice, and it's great to see the layout of an official map without any of the fog effects or z-fighting you get when you look at it from above. My only critique is that it looks like it might to better with a woodcut effect. That would seal in its authenticity (if you're going for a pre-1900 look), although it would be time consuming to recreate.

7. Googlefluff

Googlefluff
    Expand Collapse

I was originally going to do a woodcut effect but, like you said, decided it would be too time-consuming for a quick side-project like this and used this as my main inspiration instead. I didn't expect to enjoy this as much as I did so I'll definitely put a lot more detail into the next one. I'm already seeing a lot of things I want to change and/or add :p I might even switch it up and give it a '50s tourist brochure theme, since that's the setting I gave it anyway.

8. Pocketkid2

Pocketkid2
    Expand Collapse

Could you add the spawn location to the map? Like, where you spawn by default when you load in freeroam

9. KennyWah

KennyWah
    Expand Collapse

Gabe doesn't make the vehicles entirely.. Mitch does interior quite alot of the time now and he spends what seems like forever tuning suspension.

10. LJFHutch

LJFHutch
    Expand Collapse
    Environment Artist
    BeamNG Team

Awesome, nice job :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice