Jbeam differences v0.5.0.0

Discussion in 'Content Creation' started by AR162B, Dec 23, 2015.

1. AR162B

AR162B
    Expand Collapse

Hey, with the latest version of BeamNG there are many great new features, but with the downside that most mods (at least mine) are instantly outdated. I've updated my mods many times when BeamNG was updated before, a large part of updating mods are figuring out which changes are made, how the new features work and adjusting/implementing those in the mods.

So I came up with the idea of making an overview of the jbeam differences when a update is released, to help each other making life easier for people who want to keep their mods updated.
    Hopefully people are willing (maybe also dev's, please? ;) ) to expand or improve this list.

The things found so far;

- unzipped vehicles files must be in a new folder; "userPath/BeamNG.Drive/mods/unpacked/modName.zip/vehicles/modName/"
    Note that the "modName.zip" part is actually a folder name, not a zipfile.

- jbeams can use other jbeams out of the common directory. Example; The Roamer uses pickup files which are located in the common directory, same for the small trailer.

- parts in slots can be moved altogether using "nodeOffset"; example;

Code:
        "slots": [
            ["type", "default", "description"]
            ["trailer_small","","Small Trailer", {"nodeOffset":{"x":0.0, "y":0.615, "z":0.0}}],
        ],

- Wheel and tires are separated, jbeams are moved to the common/wheels and common/tires directory. So every car can use every available wheel and tire combination
    - The semi's wheel and tires are still a single part, but they have a new 'tire' group.

- New fire function;

nodes have a 'fire' feature:
    Code:
             ["fr13", 0.0, 1.50, 0.44,{"chemEnergy":50,"burnRate":1.2,"flashPoint":220,"vaporPoint":90,"specHeat":0.03,"selfIgnitionCoef":0.01,"smokePoint":220,"containerBeam":"fuelTank"},],
    and nodes near the engine are connected with beams to the fueltank nodes.

What the new functions are (containerBeam?) and how they work I don't know yet.

- new "disableTriangleBreaking" function, probably disables coltri breaking?

- new coltris between the edges of the door and the body, fenders etc AND coltris with breakgroups. (So when a breakgroup is triggered the coltri is disabled)

- New "ropables" part; anybody knows what it does?

Thanks to burilkovdeni it seems to be a upcoming(?) winch or trailer hook function

Code:
        "ropables":[
            ["id:", "group", "multilock"],
            ["fr1", "van_front", true],
            ["fr19", "van_rear", true],
        ],

- Could someone please explain how the new keybindings work? I used them for different functions; lightbars, trailer doors etc.

- height and texture map images location, thanks to Scepheo

This system has fallen prey to the same problems that plague the rest of the editor: taking absolute file paths and applying them relatively. This means that you'll need two copies of your layer files: one that you will select (which will determine the path for searching) and one that will be imported (from the location that the editor will then search in). Assuming you have one set of files in C:\PATH, you'll need a copy in C:\Users\%USERNAME%\Documents\BeamNG.drive\PATH. For example, if your texture maps are in C:\Users\Ouerbacker\Documents\BeamNG.drive (next to your terrain file), you'll need a copy of them in C:\Users\Ouerbacker\Documents\BeamNG.drive\Users\Ouerbacker\Documents\BeamNG.drive (where the editor thinks it has to look).

If someone sees an error, thinks he/she van improve expand this list please reply to this post, I'll update it asap. :)

#1 AR162B, Dec 23, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2015
    • Like Like x 3
  2. burilkovdeni

burilkovdeni
    Expand Collapse

" ropables " = winch or trailer hooks.

3. AR162B

AR162B
    Expand Collapse

Hmm, looks there is some upcoming feature ;) Thanks!

I've also updated the list a bit; that the Roamer can use the pickup parts and the van the small trailer is that those pickup parts and the small trailer parts are moved to the common/pickup and common directory respectively. Also the folder name to move unzipped files to is "userPath/BeamNG.Drive/mods/unpacked/modName.zip/vehicles/modName/" to make things more clear.

4. eeEtilt

eeEtilt
    Expand Collapse

Related to your mods, I have an issue with some of them in 0.5. They still work (some of them), but there are issues:
    D-Series mod: seats are missing textures.
    H-Series mod: empty space appears upon spawn instead of vehicle.
    GM mod: steering wheel doesn't move (the in-game wheel that is).

5. AR162B

AR162B
    Expand Collapse

I'm aware that all my mods needs updating, that is the reason I've made this thread and removed download links of the addon mods.

6. Scepheo

Scepheo
    Expand Collapse

Perhaps the information in this thread would fit nicely here. And the list could use a bit more formatting, the individual items are hard to distinguish, currently.

I do like the idea of a more detailed/technical change log, though. I understand it'd be tedious work for the developers to keep up, but as a community effort it's feasible. Perhaps add these logs to the wiki?

7. AR162B

AR162B
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the input! :) I've changed the lay-out a bit, if you've got a better idea let me know.
    My initial idea was to include jbeam differences only, but I'll include the terrain differences as well. As I'm not familiar with terrain making, please correct me if I write something wrong ;)

8. Scepheo

Scepheo
    Expand Collapse

Sweet, although Aboroath's solution was valid too. The new formatting is a lot more readable, thanks.

9. D-Troxx

D-Troxx
    Expand Collapse

ah this is really nice. i have the same every time with my 200bx mod. thanks for making this thread ;)

10. Aboroath

Aboroath
    Expand Collapse

Nice to see this thread and I hope it's productive! I certainly feel motivated to get my damn station
    wagons back on the road a bit more now:p.

11. KennyWah

KennyWah
    Expand Collapse

Look like I have some studying to do :p

12. adrian2013

adrian2013
    Expand Collapse

How does the turbo work in the game, is there a way to make it work like the speed/tacho work, so if the boost goes up the needle moves?

13. Aboroath

Aboroath
    Expand Collapse

Working fine just sitting zipped in mods. Keeping all this straight is a real struggle.
    screenshot_00171.png

14. airman426

airman426
    Expand Collapse

This is a very nice and helpful thread. It should help a lot of people with their mods.

15. Occam's Razer

Occam's Razer
    Expand Collapse

I've actually found the opposite for unzipped mods, they just need to be placed in the Documents>BeamNG.drive>vehicles (or levels, for terrains) folder. I've only tested this with jbeams inside of just one vehicle-specific folder though.

16. Scepheo

Scepheo
    Expand Collapse

The problem I have with that set up (although I still use it for level development, due to how the editor saves everything) is that you can't keep your mods in different folders. I'm working on a bunch of scenarios for ECA, and to have them all clutter up the same levels/east_coast_usa folder doesn't exactly make developing or releasing them any easier. Then there's the fact that some mods might use more than just one of the vehicles / levels / lua / ... folders.

17. 2010rrsupercharg

2010rrsupercharg
    Expand Collapse

Does anyone know what happened to the pickup suspension j beam?

Edit: NVM I missed the part about the common zip under vehicles

18. mumboking

mumboking
    Expand Collapse

Since it's shared with the Roamer, it's in vehicles/common/pickup

19. 2010rrsupercharg

2010rrsupercharg
    Expand Collapse

Wow that was fast. I don't supose you could tell me how to had anti roll bars to the rear of the pick up and how to add coils to the solid front axles? Lol

20. mumboking

mumboking
    Expand Collapse

I'm not good with suspension editing. I only know very basic editing. Someone else would need to help you with that.

21. 2010rrsupercharg

2010rrsupercharg
    Expand Collapse

Aww, oh well. It was worth a shot, lol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice