Solved it's possible to make good collisions with sketchup?

Discussion in 'Mod Support' started by bobby_boulgat, Apr 16, 2016.

1. bobby_boulgat

bobby_boulgat
    Expand Collapse

hello,
    I often use sketchup to create or to use objets and texturing, but the collisions are not terrible ... i put them on "visible mesh". that make collisions very adhesive :(

is it a simple way to make good collision with this software ? I even know if I can make collision mesh with it

• Like Like x 1
  2. LuisAntonRebollo

LuisAntonRebollo
    Expand Collapse
    Developer
    BeamNG Team

Any 3d editor can create collision shapes, you only need to name the mesh "Col-1" or use any other numbers. The game engine will understand the mesh need to be used as collision.
    You can found lots of examples on our DAE files.

Create simple but quality collision meshes need some time and research, is necessary to test properly to assert the physics engine is happy and don't destroy cars :)

3. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

Objects will tend to 'catch' objects if you have something like this:

Very thin parts where the node can easily go 'under' the object

Editing the object to something like this (or removing the bottom face if it's not needed):

Can avoid the node from going under the object.

4. bobby_boulgat

bobby_boulgat
    Expand Collapse

ah, thank you. I will study this

5. DoullPepper

DoullPepper
    Expand Collapse
    BeamNG Team

Is it the same problem when tires eplode in the arena of Altitude map?

6. bobby_boulgat

bobby_boulgat
    Expand Collapse

Excuse me, I permit myself to come back on the topic, if never someone will go to search some informations....

The free version of sketchup don't permit to create colisions mesh. It's even not possible to give a name at a mesh. I have tried to import my files in Blender but their "construction's structures" are very different of a Blender's construction. It will be certainly more quick of to all modelize from zero directly in blender instead of to correct their structure. And, for my part, it's not the goal. I just want to find 3dmodels allready done and to put then in Beamng.
    So, my problem is that I use 3dmodels sometime bugged and not planned to be used in a game. (sometime the colision meshes (in mode "visible mesh") are totaly decaled of the model. It depends if I make a group or not in sketchup ). The automatical triangulation of the faces, when I export in .dae, make strange things and put the disorder.
    That said, we can have good colisions if the triangles have a good shape and size (at least 30 cm side) , even with colisions set on "visible mesh".
    colisions.png

follow this tuto:

If the "group" option don't work, don't make group. Try having triangles with a correct shape/size. Avoid having small segments. Triangulate the faces by yourself if you have the courage. but don't expect miracles

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice