Is my 960M getting outdated?

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by evolvedpikachu3, Sep 22, 2018.

1. evolvedpikachu3

evolvedpikachu3
    Expand Collapse

I've noticed a major fps drop in the past few months. Back when i got this laptop in 2016, it ran gridmap at 90 fps. Same graphics settings when i got the laptop. Now, it runs gridmap at 45 fps.. Do i need to upgrade or whats happening? And also when i dont look at it for periods time (i.e typing this while its running gridmap in the background), it jumps to 90 fps, then slowly decreases its way back down. Its just acting strange. The fps goes 90, 75, 100, 60, 50, 70, and so on...

2. Michaelflat

Michaelflat
    Expand Collapse

960M
    I reckon you have dust in your machine. Nvidia GPUs have something called GPU boost, this allows them to Overclock themselves under extra thermal headroom. But they reduce the boost around 78c (which is not that hot really).

I think the FPS is jumping around because it clocks down, then cools off then clocks up again.

Clean the fans :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. evolvedpikachu3

evolvedpikachu3
    Expand Collapse

well, when i lifted my laptop to look at the vents, there were giant clumps of dust sticking against it. It did have an effect on the fps after i cleaned it and cleared it, and when i checked, it stayed at a steady 85 fps. Thank you!

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice