WIP Improved Sound Simulation

Discussion in 'Programming' started by Dummiesman, Sep 6, 2015.

1. Dummiesman

Dummiesman
    Expand Collapse

(Decided this should have it's own thread)

I've been working on a new sound system that supports many combinations of sounds. ;)

This sound system modifies the base sounds.lua so that any vehicle ingame can have its sounds.json file. I'm using the 200BX to demonstrate, so here is my vehicles/coupe/sounds.json file

(imported from here)
    You might notice the modifiers, and wonder what they are. Modifiers are a way of changing the processed sound value (volume or pitch), and modifying them based on another value. I'll give a description of what my 2 modifiers do:

engine_power : If the throttle is pressed, then multiply the input value by 1, else multiply it by 0. The value must remain within the min-max range, so if I depress the throttle, the engine gets a little quieter
    engine_nopower : If the thorttle isn't pressed, this modifier multiplies the input value by 1, else, if the throttle is pressed, then the input value gets multiplied by 0. This is useful for a seperate engine off sound.

You might be wondering at this stage : what makes it so special? This system is extensible, and flexible. For example, once turbo simulation gets added to the game, you could add a turbo sound, then use a combination of rpm/throttle modifiers. You can also make an engine on/off combination of sounds, as well as make an idle, low, medium, high set of engine sounds, with on/off variants. There are many possibilities :)

Here is a demonstration video :

And in this video, I swapped out the "rpm", with "hazard", and changed the factor to 7000

- - - Updated - - -

Here's a demonstration of the flexibility of the system. In this video, I demonstrate sound blending for on/off sounds. I apologize for the volume of the video.

sounds.json:

(imported from here)

video:

#1 Dummiesman, Sep 6, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  2. NaxNir

NaxNir
    Expand Collapse

qglEPqW.jpg ......

3. naguluna

naguluna
    Expand Collapse

OH YASSS

this can be used for custom sound for each car right?

4. Dummiesman

Dummiesman
    Expand Collapse

Correct :)

5. NaxNir

NaxNir
    Expand Collapse

Called it!
    You better thank me Dummies (JK :D)

#5 NaxNir, Sep 7, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2015
  6. KennyWah

KennyWah
    Expand Collapse

(imported from here)

7. Dummiesman

Dummiesman
    Expand Collapse

Testing with multiple on/off sounds. I need to either use better samplees or tweak the blending values a bit so they blend in better

sounds.json

(imported from here)

video

#7 Dummiesman, Sep 7, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2015
  8. SuperNoob05

SuperNoob05
    Expand Collapse

That's just amazing!
    I think this could possibly be the solution to the sound problem quite a lot of people have talked about.

9. iheartmods

iheartmods
    Expand Collapse

This is a step in the direction that the real devs should be taking.

Seriously guys, engine sound is massive when it comes to a sandbox driving game; one sound that fits basically none of the vehicles is terrible.

GG Dummies, and thank you.

10. crashmaster

crashmaster
    Expand Collapse

this is a thing that a lot of peoples have been waiting for in beamng. And i want to congrats you Dummiesman. You have done a lot of work and you deserve that nice badge. I cant wait to see the future of this game. keep up the awesome work. :cool:

11. naguluna

naguluna
    Expand Collapse

nice badge! congratulations!

ohh i have soo many sounds to try with this mod

cant wait! :p

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice