Idiot repellant

Discussion in 'Ideas and Suggestions' started by Hati, Aug 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hati

Hati
    Expand Collapse

So I'm a member of the SCP foundation, and I remember the initiation process rather well but it's resulted in a very positive community I enjoy taking part in, because it genuinely keeps idiots out of the forum. this is a suggestion gravitated towards the BeamNG community, rather than the game itself.

The initiation process requires alot of reading, about 6 pages of it. but hidden in the reading is a password that you have to give alongside a small and strictly structured introduction of yourself.

The introduction was structured as follows

(hidden password stuck to the end)

and was less than 200 characters. deviating from this got you rejected, you had to provide all four things. Comments that try to be funny will be denied. "If you tell me your real name, or screen name, in the application, you will be denied. I don't need to know the first, and already know the second." it was horrifyingly strict and I rather enjoyed it. The best part was they didn't tell you there was a hidden password until about 5 pages into the required reading. All the reading was, was a detailed guide on how not to be a jackass on the forum.
    (imported from here)

This forum could benefit from a similar barrier to prevent the same problem we had on the RoR forums, which was morons ruining the average maturity level of the whole community and I think something similar to this could work out. It's a nice little barrier. I'm assuming that account managing is not the same as wikidot's though. but limit people's ability to post on this forum until they provide a password as evidence they finished the required reading would probably help keep the underage out of the forum. I'm just mentioning this now because the community is brand new and you can start preventing damage rather than trying to fix it while it's too late. it would be a shame to see this community suffer from the same problems as the RoR community. Unfortunately, you're a community centered around game with cars in it. You're extremely susceptible to children.

#1 Hati, Aug 5, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2012
  2. gearsecond

gearsecond
    Expand Collapse

Great idea , but not for now . I think that also the ''not mature'' conumers can apport great ideas to this project , of course always there will be a pair of ''idiots or trolls'' but the Administrators or the Moderators can eliminate them or them posts .

Really sorry for my fu**** english ... Really sorry ! I hope people can understand this :cool:

3. Alastair

Alastair
    Expand Collapse

I'm not too keen on this idea myself, I can't honestly say I'd bother to read through 6 pages of rules etc. I'm sure many mature people just wouldn't bother either. And gearsecond, your English is probably better than half the people on the RoR forums.

4. gearsecond

gearsecond
    Expand Collapse

5. Lilgti

Lilgti
    Expand Collapse

Thank goodness you're already registered then! ;)

I like the sound of this idea, could use some refinement to fit our group, but a definitely cool concept.

6. dmtactical

dmtactical
    Expand Collapse

I have joined just to say that this is a fantastic idea and should be implemented ASAP. It's VERY simple to complete (6 pages is NOTHING unless you read at a 3rd grade level, if so then you should finish 3rd grade before joining) and its not difficult AT ALL. Anyone who absolutely can't be bothered to read 6 pages and fill out a 5 line application is somebody who I wouldn't trust for help or advice on a forum.

7. Straubz

Straubz
    Expand Collapse

i agree, 6 pages might be a bit much but the idea is good. I have already read all rules and posts by gabester and they are very straightforward.
    "do not request bird watching" is my favorite rule though:p

8. stephen f

stephen f
    Expand Collapse

I think this is a good idea and should help keep idiots out or at least some.

9. jackman454

jackman454
    Expand Collapse

I also support this motion

10. tdev

tdev
    Expand Collapse
    Developer
    BeamNG Team

I added a post guard. Try to reply to a thread or create a new thread :)

11. bman777

bman777
    Expand Collapse

I see. Hopefully it only shows up once or twice or goes away after a certain amount of posts, otherwise it could get annoying.

12. tdev

tdev
    Expand Collapse
    Developer
    BeamNG Team

Ok, I improved it, so that it will disappear once you got 50 posts :)

13. RORCAT

RORCAT
    Expand Collapse

Good, Hopefully this will keep the 9-12 year olds away.

Also, when I preview, it puts up the blocker a second time.

Is it supposed to do this?

14. tdev

tdev
    Expand Collapse
    Developer
    BeamNG Team

No, thanks for catching that. Should be fixed now :)

15. RORCAT

RORCAT
    Expand Collapse

Ok, Seems to be working fine now.

16. gearsecond

gearsecond
    Expand Collapse

Ok , good idea , that it's better than 6 text pages to read :)

I hope my grammar, gets better every day :)

17. tdev

tdev
    Expand Collapse
    Developer
    BeamNG Team

Thank you for trying, much better! :)

18. Kristian

Kristian
    Expand Collapse

Seems to be working fine, but maybe hide the "accept" box a bit more, so people actualy do read and not just look for a box or a button?
    I know some forums got it as a link on one of the last words in the rules text.
    Something along the lines of "I agree to what was written above by clicking on this and I will try to behave as good as possible".

19. Bubbleawsome

Bubbleawsome
    Expand Collapse

Kind of just posted to try it and nothing showed up for me!

20. Alastair

Alastair
    Expand Collapse

I just had it there. Very in your face, like you've done something wrong. Which is great, cause I actually read it all. Great idea there, hope it helps.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice