1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Before reporting issues or bugs, please check the up-to-date Bug Reporting Thread for the current version.
    0.30 Bug Reporting thread
    Solutions and more information may already be available.

I would like to buy the game but a few issues are keeping me from doing it

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting: Bugs, Questions and Support' started by Zalmoxis, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Zalmoxis

Zalmoxis
    Expand Collapse

First and foremost, there's the performance of the game on laptops, as it is stated on the FAQ. On my machine, on all settings, it works fine for a few minutes then starts to stutter or lag ( on all settings, including minimum). Are there any plans to fix that?

The vehicle control is very sensible/weird. It looks to be designed for racing wheel/controller rather than keyboard. Is this how it's supposed to be or is it just a placeholder?

The cockpit camera is a bit strange, especially when going over bumpy terrain.

The first issue is the most important one. I have a decent rig, it can run all the games on the market on medium or medium to low settings without any issues, but I can't buy a game that isn't supposed to work well on a laptop.

2. blinkingyellow

blinkingyellow
    Expand Collapse

There are many of various fixes in the latest update. handling, car colours, optimization etc.. I recommend to buy it, you wont regret that.

3. Zalmoxis

Zalmoxis
    Expand Collapse

There's nothing more I'd like than to do it, but is optimization with laptops really done? That was my biggest concern. If yes, I might actually buy it in the next couple of days.

Also, does anybody know when a more user friendly interface/menu will come? I'd love to make changes in controls easier than going in a notepad and looking at a wall of text to find what I need.

4. simon48

simon48
    Expand Collapse

You can optimize for low power systems and do global optimizations, but you can't optimize for laptops specifically. I've heard that they have some frame rate improvements on the way, but with all the features they have planned I have no idea what the performance will be later down the road.

5. Zalmoxis

Zalmoxis
    Expand Collapse

They should optimize for laptops specifically if laptops have specific problems with the game that similar spec desktops don't. There are a LOT of people playing on their laptops after all, so it would affect a significant part of the potential player base.

Also, how are the controls with the keyboard? Does it feel weird or better in the full game?

6. 0xsergy

0xsergy
    Expand Collapse

My laptop has no issues with it. To me it sounds like your CPU or GPU is getting too hot and is clocking down to save itself from burning up. Maybe clean the dust out of the fan vents or redo the thermal pastes?

7. simon48

simon48
    Expand Collapse

I have a top of the line (but a few years old) MacBook Pro and it runs fine on medium to low settings with 1-3 cars.

8. Zalmoxis

Zalmoxis
    Expand Collapse

Just tried it on another laptop with a recently installed Windows, it runs pretty smooth on low settings so that isn't an issue anymore.

But, can you play "competitively" with a keyboard? The control feels a little oversensitive/sluggish, I really can't explain it. I'm asking this since buying a controller/racing wheel isn't an option until late next year.

9. phipck

phipck
    Expand Collapse

In the real world i dont push the accelerator to the floor 100% to accelerate and the brake 100% to slow the car, i use small inputs to gently adjust the vehicals movement, the same as i do with the steeringwheel.

It is not realistic to expect to perfectly control a simulated vehical with digital on off presses of keys, you will loose traction and you will oversteer. It is however possible with a little practice to at least control it sufficiently as has been demonstrated in many of the community videos. I wouldnt let only using a keyboard put you off, give it a lgo and get a little driving experience under you belt and you will probably find it much more manageble than you think.... and when you can afford a controler of some sort, it will be much much more precise.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice