1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

I was wondering .....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bisofication, Jan 8, 2016.

1. Bisofication

Bisofication
    Expand Collapse

I'm pretty sure you've gone through the same thing as I did...
    Now, when you jump your car in BeamNG and try to steer left or right, you will feel the car moves slightly (still mid-air) ... Does anybody know why ?
    I know that the car changes its pitch when braking due to inertia and stuff going on in the brakes but I couldn't know why the first thing happens.
    Is it like sitting on an office chair and trying to spin it without touching the ground (friction)?
    It might be a tiny bug in Torque 3D engine or it could be a real thing. your thoughts ?

Attached Files:

• 123321.jpg
  2. Zappymouse

Zappymouse
    Expand Collapse

Gyroscopic effect from the front wheels, I assume.

• Like Like x 4
  3. speednsnake

speednsnake
    Expand Collapse

What Zappy said, and the fact that steering the car physically moves the wheel nodes, thus causing equal and opposite reactions.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Bisofication

Bisofication
    Expand Collapse

You mean because they were spinning on the ground and turning them mid-air (while still spinning) will cause the gyroscopic effect to change slightly ?

Edit: I looked it up and found this video. At 0:55 he explained it :)
    Thank you mouse and snake :) wait .... mouse and snake lol

Here's what I understood. hope u dont mind the bad quality drawing :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

• asdffg.jpg
    #4 Bisofication, Jan 8, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2016
  5. Zappymouse

Zappymouse
    Expand Collapse

Excuse my hazy physics knowledge (high school physics was quite a while ago...). Ever picked up a powered-on external hard drive? The rotating platters inside are essentially a gyroscope. Due to its high rotational speed, it carries a lot of inertia; i.e. requires more energy from an external force to move it around, and conversely applies an equal amount of energy to the body moving it around (Sound familiar? That's Newton's third law). However, it only applies to forces that act to change its rotational axis, which is why it doesn't feel heavier or more difficult to push around on a flat surface, but seems to slightly resist when you tilt it. The correct reasoning behind it is not something I remember, so do a little research on that.

Same principle applies to the front wheels: The wheels are each a gyroscope, and you turning the steering wheel applies a force that acts to change their rotational axis, which, according to Newton's third law means they must apply an opposing force to the vehicle itself, rolling it slightly in mid air.

That's probably right, but if somebody more comfortable with physics would like to correct or elaborate upon my points, that'd be great.

• Like Like x 2
  6. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Precession may be the term you are looking for zappy? My understanding/ability to explain is also limited.

7. amarks240

amarks240
    Expand Collapse

the same process is why motorcycles work. gyroscopes are pretty rad. hard drives are pretty rad.

8. clayton8or

clayton8or
    Expand Collapse

Try drving a car off a cliff or bridge going really fast, then slamming on the brakes. The wheels will stop instantly taking all the forward rotational momentum from the wheels and stopping it. That energy goes somewhere, the brakes. The brakes are attached to the car body and a few calculations with weight transfer later and you got your car tilting forwards.

A few ways you could use this is one canyon of speed for example, keep the car floored after you take the jump, if your leaning too far back hit the brakes, and if you lean too far forward accelerate, if you are leaning to the left turn to the right and leaning to the right turn left. Best demonstrated with the sbr4 because of its light weight, great speed and quick reactions.

• Like Like x 1
  9. clayton8or

clayton8or
    Expand Collapse

And yes you got everything pretty much correct physics wise.

10. -randy-

-randy-
    Expand Collapse

I agree with zappymouse. My Professor at the university used to demonstrate those forces while sitting on an office chair. He held a bycicle wheel with both arms streched in front of him. When he tilted the spinning wheel to either side he was able to rotate the chair without touching the floor.
    Made a hilarious picture seeing an old man having fun that way :)

Besides: I love Beam.NG exactly for this kind of depth in physical details!

• Like Like x 1
  11. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

yeah we had that same experiment, precession.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice