How to work with roads

Discussion in 'Content Creation' started by Brendan, Nov 16, 2013.

1. Brendan

Brendan
    Expand Collapse

Can someone please give me a guide on how exactly to work with roads. I cannot, for the life of me make sense of it. I keep screwing up when I make a part of a road, save and exit, then try to go work on it later it will try to start the road back at the first point rather than the last. Any help would be appreciated. I would need text based help vs video since I can only use my smartphone on slow 3G.

2. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Sorry can't help. But slow 3g? Seriously, 3g is faster than my home broadband connection :D

3. Brendan

Brendan
    Expand Collapse

I live in the middle of the woods, so yes, slow 3G (if I'm lucky). If I'm not, I run on the Verizon Edge network (slow as molasses in January). Or if things play out like they did today and yesterday night, I will have 14 hours where I cannot find a data signal.

It's a half mile off the road, only dial up in my area, so we opted to have no internet at home fml...

4. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Ok, I can level with that. Currently I do get about 3-5mb weather dependent on 3g, GPRS if I go downstairs though and about 0.1-0.2mb on the home "broadband" (half a mile off a road, about 3 or 4 miles along that road until you get to the next town, phone line doesnt run straight there, its supposed to be 7 or 8 miles of phone line). 3g is data capped to 2gb per month, broadband is barely enough for youtube on 144p, but I get by. Mostly I use the broadband and when speed is absolutely critical (which is rare) I'll use some of my 2gb tethering off of my phone, I don't hammer it, I usually have plenty left over on the final day of my contract. So perhaps a little better off than you are, I kinda assumed you would be like everyone else who suddenly bitches and moans about how slow 3g is compared to their normal internet etc.

However it used to be GPRS signal only until about 2 years ago when a new antenna went up nearby, we are on the edge of its range but its mostly farm land its coming over with very little to block the signal (looking on a map the only thing obstructing us is vegetation and we are 10 metres higher than the mast).
    It was dial up until about 2 or 3 years ago. But that suddenly stopped working one day. Tonnes of phonecalls to BT and they could never tell us why it wasn't working. Was only about 1 year ago when we had a BT engineer out to survey us for broadband after recent infrastructure upgrades nearby that we found out why, the nearest centre that the dialup was dialing into had a hardware fault, with only 3 clients using it they opted to disable it rather than repair it (apparently they had to have 5 users for there to be a legal requirement to repair it), could have fucking told us instead of charging us for 3 more months and charging us extortionate rates to make phonecalls to india. We now have some weird booster attached in place of our phone socket and a broadband plan not listed on their website etc, they kinda recognise that their normal 10mb per month plans are a bit useless when you cant even get 0.5 unless its a very good day and your sitting there at 1am (I did hit 0.5 at 1am once, and promptly fell asleep :p ). They also refunded the last 6 months of our dial up.

Although to make it ontopic. I would also like to know about roads. Last time I tried them I just got some sort of node floating around and an orange box, didnt have an effing clue what was happening.

5. Brendan

Brendan
    Expand Collapse

I used to tether my Sprint Evo 4G three years ago to play Runescape (oh the good times) and that always had wonderful signal. Now Verizon is such trash and I can't get a signal for my life. Kind of funny how a three year old sprint phone with the infrastructure of three years ago tops Verizon. I was always using PDANet

6. iheartmods

iheartmods
    Expand Collapse

Back on topic. First create a flat plane where you want to create the road. This can be done using the plateau and the smoother AND the slope smoother. I don't know how to do mesh roads BUT decal roads are very easy. Decal roads are flat and stick to the ground where they are placed. If you get a "no texture" thing or something close, in the little window there should be a spherical button, click it, and look for an asphalt (or whatever texture you want) texture under "Roads and Paths". There are more than what you see on the first page, see the bottom for page numbers.

Hope I helped!

- - - Updated - - -

Depending on what original ground texture (grass, sand, dirt, etc.) you'll need to use the Terrain Painter to paint the ground where the road is so that the road (IE Asphalt) matches the friction levels (IE, Paint over an asphalt road with an asphalt texture.) This will get rid of grass that spontaneously grows through the road ;) You should do this after placing roads and smoothing them out

7. Brendan

Brendan
    Expand Collapse

I was going more for the keys to use or how to continue off an existing road. Thanks for the reply though!

8. ultranew_b

ultranew_b
    Expand Collapse

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice