1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Before reporting issues or bugs, please check the up-to-date Bug Reporting Thread for the current version.
    0.30 Bug Reporting thread
    Solutions and more information may already be available.

How to select UV coordinates for groundcover billboard?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting: Bugs, Questions and Support' started by geobeck, Oct 20, 2021.

1. geobeck

geobeck
    Expand Collapse

I'm creating groundcover on my new map, and I've run into this:

screenshot_2021-10-19_20-41-39.png

In the inspector panel, I've found where the UV for the groundcover billboard is defined:

Inspector_groundcover20211019.png

But the coordinate fields are not editable, and I can't find a file where they're specified. The main.materials.json defines the materials, but has no fields to specify coordinates. There is no shapefile for this grass in the Industrial map, where my map's subfolders come from, so this groundcover material doesn't seem to need one.

Who can tell me what files are used to define groundcover, and in particular where the UV coordinates are defined?

2. ltntai

ltntai
    Expand Collapse

Coordinate fields are editable: click and slide, double click, or ctrl + click.
    File is in levels/your_map/main/MissionGroup/Level_objects/vegetation/

3. geobeck

geobeck
    Expand Collapse

Okay, got it. I should have checked for the tap vs. click issue. I work on a laptop, and there are a number of places in the editor where tapping the touchpad doesn't result in an actual click (right or left). I have to use the physical button at the corner of the touchpad. I've got my grass defined properly now, and have identified the UV coordinates entry in the items.level.json file in the /vegetation folder. (Although I swear it wasn't there before. Maybe it only appears after you modify the coordinates. Or maybe I was looking at a different file.)

screenshot_2021-10-20_17-44-35.png

Thanks for your help.

• Like Like x 1
  4. geobeck

geobeck
    Expand Collapse

Still having trouble with this. Last time I just used one corner of the billboard and it worked fine. This time I'm trying to use all four corners in different sections of the one groundcover type, but I still get examples using the whole billboard. So I have two quesitons"

Are the coordinates fractional? And is the format x1, y1, x2, y2, or x1, x2, y1, y2? Neither one seems to work.

Right now I have the following coordinates:

[0] 0.0, 0.0, 0.5, 0.5
    [1] 0.5, 0.0, 1.0, 0.5
    [2] 0.0, 0.5, 0.5, 1.0
    [3] 0.5, 0.5, 1.0, 1.0

...which should cover all four corners if the format is x1, y1, x2, y2. But I've got stacked billboards. If I try the other format, it's no better.

5. ltntai

ltntai
    Expand Collapse

The coordinate numbers don't "matter", they can be anything. You have to move (1st and 2nd slider field) and stretch (3rd and 4th) the image visually to find the preferred plants.
    screenshot_2021-10-31_13-20-38.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  6. geobeck

geobeck
    Expand Collapse

Thanks! I finally have a flat, grassy field with normal-looking grass right beside my steep plunge of death!
    screenshot_2021-10-31_09-05-35.png

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice