how to make a properly suspension?

Discussion in 'Content Creation' started by Sevennemesis, Oct 19, 2013.

1. Sevennemesis

Sevennemesis
    Expand Collapse

hello, its been 3 days I'm trying to do a front suspension for my golfcart. when I had a good result, I start making the rear suspension. when the rear suspension is present, the front suspension it destroys and blew my golfcart.

I understand nothing! there is there a way to create a proper suspension? the basic code example to use?.

- - - Updated - - -

I make a drawing to help me understand a front suspension...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

2. gabester

gabester
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Director
    BeamNG Team

Well, if it explodes, it is because spring and/or damp are too high and/or weight is too low. Also, in your diagram, you are missing the two nodes for the upper arm node to attach to (the same way the lower arm does)

Also, make sure all of your scaling values (i.e. "scalebeamSpring") are the same across all the .jbeams for the vehicle. If you have different scaling values in different .jbeam files it will cause wild unpredictability and potential explosion.

3. Sevennemesis

Sevennemesis
    Expand Collapse

thank you very much, I will make several test and I will give you a comeback.

- - - Updated - - -

could you tell me what are their respective roles?

],
    "dragCoef":8,
    "selfCollisionThickness":0.02,
    "remoteCollisionThickness":0.06,
    "scalenodeWeight":0.62,
    "scalebeamSpring":0.46,
    "scalebeamDamp":0.58,
    "scalebeamDeform":0.39,
    "scalebeamStrength":0.51,
    "zeroOutSelfCollision":false,

Thx!

#3 Sevennemesis, Oct 19, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2013
  4. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

I can tell you that:

"scalenodeWeight":0.62,

Scales Nodes or Beam Weight/Spring/etc.
    If you set it to 0.5, the node weight for example will be half the original (ex. Original is 10, with scalenodeweight 0.5 will be 5)

I may be wrong.

5. gabester

gabester
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Director
    BeamNG Team

I believe all of this is detailed in the wiki, but I'll explain it anyways.

dragCoef is the coefficient of drag of all the collision triangles for aerodynamics purposes (only applies to things in the "triangles" section, but I set it globally once for the whole vehicle)

selfCollisionThickness and remoteCollisionThickness are I believe legacy/deprecated (they don't do anything anymore) so you can get rid of them. "zeroOutSelfCollision" should always be set to false unless you need to quickly debug some self collision problem, in which case you would set it to true globally. The other scale values should be pretty self explanatory, and again, they need to be the same across all the .jbeams for the particular vehicle.

I recommend starting your scales at 1 and only using this feature for later fine tuning. Try to get a stable base with correct weights and stable spring/damp values, and then if you need to make fast global adjustments, start tuning the scale values.

6. Sevennemesis

Sevennemesis
    Expand Collapse

Thank you very much Gabester!, thanks to you I have good results! My golf cart is much more stable!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice