1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Before reporting issues or bugs, please check the up-to-date Bug Reporting Thread for the current version.
    0.33 Bug Reporting thread
    Solutions and more information may already be available.

How To Install Under Windows 10?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting: Bugs, Questions and Support' started by JD2013, Nov 28, 2015.

1. JD2013

JD2013
    Expand Collapse

Hi Guys - What do I need to do to get Beam installed in Windows 10? If I try to open the application (didnt see any .exe installer maybe Im missing something?) I get a dialogue box stating I need DirectX whch supposedly is installed in Windows 10 by default (again maybe Im wrong but the link is for a DirectX install from Microsoft for like Windows 7). Please advise. THANK YOU!

P.S. I even tried to install on another machine running XP and got another set of issues....

2. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

You do need to install DirectX9 from the microsoft site, yes the installer for that is windows 7 but it works fine in 10.

XP and Vista *do not* support BeamNG at all, the game uses win32 features that werent added until 7.

3. JD2013

JD2013
    Expand Collapse

OK, Thanks - I downloaded and installed from http://dxinstall.beamng.com/ but no joy. Not sure where to tell it to install the download (I told it to put it in the downloads folder). Now it says Im missing a couple dll files....

4. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=34429
    And make sure to actually run the installer, simply downloading it isnt enough...

DX 10 and 11 are not backward compatible with DX9. You *MUST* install DX9 for BeamNG as it uses elements from both directX versions.

#4 SixSixSevenSeven, Nov 28, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2015
  5. tmnsoon

tmnsoon
    Expand Collapse

Check what version of Direct X is currently installed on your computer by typing "dxdiag" in the Windows search and let us know.

6. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Inaccurate, it will detect DX11 as most recent version regardless. DX11 *IS NOT* backward compatible with DX9 and so is not satisfactory indication that BeamNG will run. Both DX9 and 11 need installing for BeamNG to run.

7. tmnsoon

tmnsoon
    Expand Collapse

Oh ok. I've got Direct X 10 on my Windows 10 as the latest and BeamNG still works. So is it just DX9 that is required?

8. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Well, technically BeamNG will run in DX10.1+DX9. But DX11 is backward compatible with 10 anyway (its just 9-10 there is a gap)

9. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Keeping things to your thread rather than hijacking another.

Specs and log files please.

10. JD2013

JD2013
    Expand Collapse

OK, the directx SDK runtime (June 2010) wont install without specifying a directory, where is it supposed to be installed? The other directx installer now produces an error stating it can only be installed on win 98 and other old garbage etc

#10 JD2013, Dec 12, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2015
  11. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

IDK About the links above, but I always told users to install DirectX using this link and it works just fine. You don't have to specify anything, it's all automated.
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=35

About installing the game, are you trying to use the Techdemo?
    The techdemo comes in a ZIP. Are you extracting the whole ZIP into a folder first? The techdemo do not have an installer. Once you extract it, you simply have to run the BeamNG.Drive.exe you find in the main directory.

If not and you are trying to use the full version, from where did you download/redeemed it?

12. JD2013

JD2013
    Expand Collapse

Running the demo, got it working but this laptop only meets the minimum requirements so its really slow and laggy:-(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice