1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Before reporting issues or bugs, please check the up-to-date Bug Reporting Thread for the current version.
    0.30 Bug Reporting thread
    Solutions and more information may already be available.

How to debug game crashes

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting: Bugs, Questions and Support' started by Angelhk, Jan 8, 2021.

1. Angelhk

Angelhk
    Expand Collapse

HI to all!

I came here to ask you if there is any guide or something to debug the game crashes with lot of mods

My kids play this game and have a lot of mods with cars, skins, maps, etc, but recently the game start crashing every time the map finish to load. The error say nothing, something like unexpected close and code 0x0000001.

I try to debug this looking at what file the game was reading when the game crash throught the resource monitor of windows but the game check like 20 files at the same time.

also the game lost a lot of perfomance, each map takes more than 5 minits to load with a high end machine with m.2 ssd

regards

2. Krishty

Krishty
    Expand Collapse

I’d like to know that as well. Specifically: Does the BeamNG team maintain a debug symbol server?

What hardly worked for me: Attach a debugger (Visual Studio debugger or WinDbg) and load symbols from the Microsoft Symbol Server. The call stack should at least help you find out whether the crash occurs in BeamNG itself, in the Direct3D runtime, in the graphics driver, or somewhere else. (*cough* screen recording software hooking every D3D process and then crashing it because it doesn’t understand all resource formats in use *cough*)

If you don’t have a debugger on the machine, try Collecting User-Mode Dumps. But I didn’t test it with BeamNG and I have a bad feeling that BeamNG’s crash reporter might “helpfully” catch any exceptions before WER has an opportunity to collect the crash.

What didn’t work for me: Installing and enabling the Direct3D debug runtime from the Windows SDK and grabbing debug output via DebugView. This may be an error on my part though, as the process is pretty hard to get right.

If you are looking specifically at performance problems, try ETW. Bruce Dawson’s articles are a good start. Without debug symbols however, I suspect the data will not help too much.

3. Angelhk

Angelhk
    Expand Collapse

Wow that a lot to start from, i think a have something to play this weekend =P

The screen recording is a good information, nvidia experiencia es always on, not recording but is there, maybe there is a thing with the last driver or something, i will start from there.

Thank you very much for the info and will come back with results in a few days

Regards

4. Fluffy Panda

Fluffy Panda
    Expand Collapse
    Global Moderator
    BeamNG Team

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice