1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Before reporting issues or bugs, please check the up-to-date Bug Reporting Thread for the current version.
    0.30 Bug Reporting thread
    Solutions and more information may already be available.

How to change controller sensitivity?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting: Bugs, Questions and Support' started by Glitchy, Mar 8, 2018.

1. Glitchy

Glitchy
    Expand Collapse

Hi, I'm using an Xbox One controller and I'm wondering if there is a way to change the sensitivity, because the steering is way too fast. Thanks.

2. Danny Werewolf

Danny Werewolf
    Expand Collapse

With controllers, so many games do that I think. My only example is Rigs Of Rods, but that's just me...

But I bet there is a way to turn it down, it is a bit sensitive...

3. disloyalpick

disloyalpick
    Expand Collapse

I've wondered the same thing before. A feature to change the steering sensitivity, and a setting to change the sensitivity at different speeds would be pretty neat.

4. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

You can change either the linearity (makes the steering less or more sensible at small movements - Options > Controls > Steer Binding > Linearity), or limit the steering with certain speed (Options > Controls > Filter)

5. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Problem is that you have maximum steering lock with BeamNG vehicles in use and with gamepad that is bit too much.

What I do is to use speed sensitivity setting, set it so that start and stop is under 10mph and then limit to amount of steering that is minimum amount you can cope with.

Usually something like 10-15 degrees is enough if driving fast.
    For example if vehicle wheels turn 35 degrees 15 degrees is less than 0.5 which means you set limit to less than 0.5, you need to tune that for perfection.

Reason why I set start and stop to be below 10mph is because I want to know that 4mm thumb controller movement will result exact same amount of steering regardless speed I'm going, except when I'm going really really slow, like turning around, when I might want to have all steering possible.

Then you can set linearity, which I use mostly to cope with unintentional turning when I'm braking, I'm using only one thumb controller for steering and throttle + brake, so while normally I would prefer perfectly linear steering, I set it so that small turning is not doing much, which of course is not the best thing to have, but I seem not to be able to steer and brake with two thumbs at the same time.

Think that you want to have maximum usable range from your controller, most of movement should be possible to be used in normal driving, that should give you best control and resolution, if your controller has movement range that can't be used because it would be too much or movement that does not do anything, it is always away from resolution and with so limited movement range as with gamepad, you really need all movement to be meaningful.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. Glitchy

Glitchy
    Expand Collapse

This was super helpful, thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice