How many of you still have/use disk drives?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic' started by TechnicolorDalek, Feb 23, 2014.

1. TechnicolorDalek

TechnicolorDalek
    Expand Collapse

Just out of curiosity. I've removed the drive from my PC to free up an SATA port for a hard drive. Haven't needed to use it since.. though it's been less than a week. :p

I have an old IDE external hard drive enclosure that I can combine with another old IDE dvd burner if I ever need one again.

2. n0ah1897

n0ah1897
    Expand Collapse

I have one, only used it twice. Once for installing Windows, once for burning a few home videos to a dvd for my grandpa. Once I get my new case this week, I'll be getting rid of it.

3. logoster

logoster
    Expand Collapse

i still have mine, and use it, linux emergency discs FTW (as well as some windows disks)

4. TechnicolorDalek

TechnicolorDalek
    Expand Collapse

The only thing I can remember using my disk drive for in the past few years if for burning linux discs.. but I started doing bootable flash drives a while ago.

5. Potato

Potato
    Expand Collapse

I only use my disk drives when I suddenly want to play some old game. Like nascar 03. I love racing around bristol just because the ai is always getting in wrecks and it's fun to try and avoid them. I remember one time it was just a wall of cars so I just jammed on the brakes and locked my wheels up cause there was nowhere else to go. I ALMOST stopped. I hit a stopped car at about 15 then some jerk rammed into the back of me at like 80.:mad: I need to play that sometime. It's unbelievably fun for an 11 year old game.

#5 Potato, Feb 23, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
  6. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

I primarily use my laptop these days rather than desktop, it does not have a DVD drive. I have not once missed it.

I have burnt 1 linux DVD from my desktop though and ripped ISO files of my old sim city 4 and GTA san andreas copies (my legally owned disks). Thats it.

7. TechnicolorDalek

TechnicolorDalek
    Expand Collapse

I ripped all my game discs to .iso files long ago. Come at meh legal bros. I don't even remember the last game/software that I got on disc instead of a download.

8. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

I know your not supposed to, but I really dont have anything against a person ripping their own game disks to iso if its for their own personal use. My iso files I am not handing out and have all been obtained from my physical disks which I went into a store and bought with my money. They arent going anywhere except onto my own machines.

9. mrniz666

mrniz666
    Expand Collapse

-I burn ISO files quite a bit.
    -DiRT 3 is a pain.
    -I can easly transfer files to old PC's that are not connected to my network and don't have usb mass storage support. I even have a FDD in my gaming pc for ease of transferring files.
    - I watch some of my old DVDs with my PC.
    In other words I couldn't live without a CD drive, though I am planning on removing my laptop one and having an SSD instead.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

10. simon48

simon48
    Expand Collapse

I'm rocking a new Retina MacBook Pro so no disk drive for me, but I do have a external one I use if I do need one.

11. Stormdrain

Stormdrain
    Expand Collapse

External Disk Drive FTW

12. n0ah1897

n0ah1897
    Expand Collapse

If I ever need one, I might resort to that.

13. JDSJOEL

JDSJOEL
    Expand Collapse

I use mine fairly often, mostly because my internet is awful so I'd rather order a disc off amazon instead of waiting days to download a single game.

14. logoster

logoster
    Expand Collapse

oh, and because my pc is the only one in the house, my mom uses it to copy her pics and such to a cd

15. NkosiKarbul

NkosiKarbul
    Expand Collapse

I still have an internal dvd read only.
    Its only use is gta4 and ArmA dvds.

16. Bubbleawsome

Bubbleawsome
    Expand Collapse

Yep. Use it to run new nfs without origin.

17. pulley999

pulley999
    Expand Collapse

Have one, not in my system though. In the odd chance I need to use it I just remove the side panel and connect it loose on my desk.

18. stephen f

stephen f
    Expand Collapse

I have a bluray drive that I use all the time for watching movies.

19. Potato

Potato
    Expand Collapse

Using one right now for nascar 02

20. B_Wilco

B_Wilco
    Expand Collapse

When I built my new Desktop I put one in. After fitting 3 120mm fans on the front I had still had a slot left, so I bought the cheapest disk drive I could get. I used it to install windows, and some of the initial drivers for things like the motherboard and such. After that I have only used it to rip a few CD's and to watch a movie once.

Honestly I use Steam and movie streaming services for everything so I don't even need disks anymore, but I had the space and I figured it would be better to have one and never use it, then to not have one and need it. They are dirt cheap anyways (mine was $12 for a DVD burner).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice