Solved How high poly can I make my model, is subsurf good or bad?

Discussion in 'Mod Support' started by Vegas777, Nov 13, 2020.

1. Vegas777

Vegas777
    Expand Collapse

Here's what I'm working with, this is what the car looks like with subdivision surface.
    Screenshot792.png Screenshot793.png
    and this is what it looks like applied

I was wondering if this is going to be problematic later or not, I want to make my car look nice and smooth in game. The poly count (with subdiv) is 8,771.

2. ThatCarGuyDownTheStreet

ThatCarGuyDownTheStreet
    Expand Collapse

With higher poly count, comes a cost: the car will spike alot more in crashes, and it's really hard to make it look nice. This game simply isn't meant for highpoly meshes. I recommend taking a look at the vanilla cars, and basing your polyflow off of what they look like.

And before anyone goes OOG BOOG SUBSURF STINKY BAD PENIS, even the devs admitted to using it.

3. P_enta

P_enta
    Expand Collapse

Honestly in my experience modeling it’s hard to even get the amount of polys on the main body to match a stock body. Those bitches are like stupid high poly in some places. If you’re hard modeling like you should be this wouldn’t be a problem.

but annyyywayyy, just what he ^ said, look at the stock cars and try and match it.

4. Vegas777

Vegas777
    Expand Collapse

ah ok because I actually heard the devs used subsurf but I didn't know if it was for the body or something

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice