1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

How do I update the game via Humble Bundle?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Crispy06, Oct 30, 2018.

1. Crispy06

Crispy06
    Expand Collapse

Okay, so.
    I got a new computer in August, not two months later, it get's a virus.
    So now I'm stuck with my mom's computer with an outdated version of BeamNG.
    I saw that an update came out today and I wanna play it.
    Could someone tell me how to update it?

2. fivedollarlamp

fivedollarlamp
    Expand Collapse

just remove the virus :confused:

3. TechnicolorDalek

TechnicolorDalek
    Expand Collapse

this dude is playing 8d transrotational cyberchess

anyway to update it through humble bundle you just re-download it in entirety like you did in the first place. highly inconvenient. not recommended.

4. fivedollarlamp

fivedollarlamp
    Expand Collapse

i am one S M A R T boi

5. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

Some tips:
    Keep a virus scanner that you can trust, one you pay for for 20~25$ a year on the PC, if the default Windows one is not enough (it isn't).
    Don't use pirated music, movies, XXX-adult content sites, or software, and do NOT visit sites such as ones that deal with those (not only can these virus or brick your computer, you could get arrested depending on your laws and have to forfeit your PC/other tech).
    Sites offering FREE GAMES (aside of demo versions of legit AAA games) that you have to run a program to install should also be considered very suspect, as they often install TOOLBARS, other browser or desktop gadgets or gizmoes that can steal your passwords, identity, or deliver unwanted spyware or other adware to your PC, not to mention jam up your internet connection.
    Do not use Russian mod sites for BeamNG mods, or other similar sites. Use this one, it's "gooder".
    Be cautious of software (aside of mods for games) that's offered for free. Read the EULA of things you install, sometimes quite often there's other bundled software you don't want, and quite often there's privacy concerns.
    Use OPEN SOURCE software (commonly found on www.sourceforge.net - safe for work site link), or use commercial software, to help avoid this, and download it only from the company's, author's or sourceforge page to avoid things like 'Softonic Downloaders'.
    If you need to download and run a separate piece of software to install something (like the aforementioned evil softonic, etc), don't bother with it. It's different if it's a legit application you pay for, but be very careful.

To unvirus your PC just re-install the operating system after wiping the hard drive & rebooting.
    Run a secure-erase program on the disk, which will erase all your files, so hopefully you've backed up before you got the virus, and then reboot and run the operating system install disk you got with the computer. If you did not get one, you should order one from the manufacturer, if your machine is under warranty yet, call the manufacturer and explain you have a virus and need to re-install your computer. That's why people buy OEM computers, because they don't know everything about building and maintaining your own computer, so there's a market, and tech-support for that. Lastly, never use GEEK SQUAD, or other national computer repair places. Use an independent PC repair shop, a local MA&PA family business type of place. Usually there's a few in any large town, if not more. Get to know the people there, the service is much better, and there's better ability to haggle on the price (which will be less than Geek Squad anyways). You can go there for parts and upgrades when you need them and it will almost always be cheaper then the big-box retail stores.
    Maybe the next time you spend money getting your computer repaired, you can next time put that money towards an anti-virus program, and towards a course that could teach you yourself how to repair it when you mess it up next time :)

Also, the Steam version of the game will update anytime Steam is running, but Steam doesn't have to be running to play the game. So consider next time it goes on deep discount just getting the Steam version if you mind re-downloading it from GOG or Humble all the time (where-ever you got it from).
    --Good luck!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

7. fivedollarlamp

fivedollarlamp
    Expand Collapse

Micro Center fixed my pc, its hard for me to say that they aren’t trustworthy. They did a great job.

8. Zero

Zero
    Expand Collapse

I agree with almost everything you said, however it's quite outdated to say that the default Windows is not enough. For most home users, Windows defender does it job nowadays really well.
    Sure, just a few years ago it was the WORST, but they have improved so much till today.
    Run malwarebytes with defender, and you're pretty okay setup. Of course there's better ones out there, I'm just commenting for the usual home users.

Sources:
    It's my job.
    https://www.tomsguide.com/us/windows-defender,review-2209.html
    https://www.howtogeek.com/225385/wh...r-windows-10-is-windows-defender-good-enough/

All the other things you said though is really good, that's where most people get caught with a virus!

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Crispy06

Crispy06
    Expand Collapse

The thing is, my question was how to update the game not how to remove a virus.

10. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

11. Crispy06

Crispy06
    Expand Collapse

Thanks Nadeox :)

12. TechnicolorDalek

TechnicolorDalek
    Expand Collapse

plebs, I don't run any antivirus at all - including stock windows. i visit sketchy sites all night long.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

Micro-Center bucks the trend and typically does a pretty good job - and as that is their main game, rightfully they should. It will generally be more expensive then a ma-and-pa family business, however.
    --- Post updated ---
    Yes, fixing PC's since the mid 90s... that's 99% of the issues right there, places people visit and the old 'copy that floppy' issues.
    It's not that Windows Defender doesn't do a great job - it does an acceptable job (vs years ago when it did NOT). It's that people don't pay as much mind to what the freebie Defender says VS the Antivirus they either manually installed themselves or manually installed and paid for. It's often due to the way the commercial Antivirus is designed to market it's own need very seriously if/when something isn't right, like big RED screens and such, that look much more serious then say the Windows Defender warning/cautionary screens. Profit is a big motivator here for the 3rd party Antivirus / Antispyware companies, so we can see clearly to deduce a reasoning why.

The only good game to 'copy that floppy' was the (free) TANK WARS game :) Still have it here in my DOS BOX.
    --- Post updated ---
    For some folks, that works - great - good intelligent internet browsing can save a load of pain and suffering. For others, who's data is precious and cannot be lost, and who do very common backups even if not getting a virus itself in over 10 years, it's worth the 25$ a year for the entire house-hold to be covered. It may be down to more peace-of-mind than anything.
    Never under-estimate the power of a grandmother allowing her grand-daughter (my 9 year old niece) on the internet (bad) to play a game on a website and bringing down an entire computer network.
    Also never under-estimate the power of an office secretary to find the secret of Napster-like-sites on her business computer on business time pirating the heck out of music / anything else she could think to look up, bringing all the associated nasties of said unscrupulous environment with it into the business network.
    Never under-estimate the power of unscrupulous corrupt ex-police-informants trying to sabotage your machine's Windows installation to cover their tracks or smear-campaign you (or both), with the virus scanner being the last line of defense - thankfully, saving the day, and having the logs to prove malicious actions in my absence. This last bit saved my freedom & from being even indicted on slanderous lies and rubbish. Linux is much superior along with drive-based encryption for this last aspect, though.

A smart user can work around any set of obstacles or challenges, whether it's dodgy web-sites offering free software downloads, or dodging Fortran's Fortress hardware-security ISA-card based devices in the 90s in mere seconds, but sometimes, it's better to have piece of mind that can get my back while I have my back turned / am away.

Peace of mind, there-for, is priceless, especially for those who already have enough other things to worry about. If going without a virus protection layer works for you, awesome - you save money - and admittedly OS is lots more secure today than in the XP or prior days, but sometimes, sometimes, it comes in super-duper handy and can keep things similar.

Of course it can also be a pain in the butt when... "But I want to rename the entry in Registry to "OUT OF CONTROL PANEL", I really really want to, computer!" ...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice