How Do I Import A .dae File Into The World Editor?

Discussion in 'Content Creation' started by EthanBacon, Aug 14, 2013.

1. EthanBacon

EthanBacon
    Expand Collapse

How do you do it? I have looked again and again and can't find out how to do it!

2. NkosiKarbul

NkosiKarbul
    Expand Collapse

while you are in the object editor you can just doubleclick a .dae file in the folder tree to open up the window in which you setup the importing rules for the .dae model.

edit: lulz for random folder/model names while doing endless try and error approaches to importing a .dae model myself. XD

Attached Files:

• tree.jpg
    #2 NkosiKarbul, Aug 14, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
  3. EthanBacon

EthanBacon
    Expand Collapse

Where is that folder located at?

4. NkosiKarbul

NkosiKarbul
    Expand Collapse

uhm what you mean excactly, the folder you see in the editor window opened is the main folder BeamNG-DRIVE-0.3.
    so for example the doughnut.dae you see in the screen is saved in the main folder of my BeamNG.

edit: the editor Scen Tree will allways open the main BeamNG folder if you click on Library tab -> Meshes

5. EthanBacon

EthanBacon
    Expand Collapse

Sorry I just figured that out but I have one more thing. How do I make it so you can collide with the object?

6. NkosiKarbul

NkosiKarbul
    Expand Collapse

thats a completly different story again and not that easy to answer in one sentence.
    and plz note that im a beginner myself with importing stuff to other engines/software.
    i struggled with that myself the last days, you have to obey a certain parent to child structure within the .dae model, have its normals aligned, its normals tagged, the UV mapped correctly and like it seems even has to be orientated in a special way, to make clipping and visable object cover each other in the same spot instead of being mirrored to each other which lets you drive throu what you see but hit what you dont see on another spot... very exhausting.

i would suggest to use .dae models of the game itsself to analyze the structure and setups of all the things and maybe also take a look at a model someone else from the community did, just dont use or edit it further, and then adapt your own file to its structure ect.

edit: watch out to delete the .cached version of your model before reimporting on a second attempt with a changed model using the same name or he will just use the old cached version obviously.

#6 NkosiKarbul, Aug 14, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
  7. theWOODman

theWOODman
    Expand Collapse

You have to create a simple collision mesh for it to have collision properties. The best way to lean how to set it up for importing into BeamNG is to first open a simple house from the assets folder in the BeamNG directory in an outside modeling program and look how it's set up. It can seem complicated at first, but it you read how to do it on the wiki, you'll understand it. You also have to create lod meshes as well.

8. NkosiKarbul

NkosiKarbul
    Expand Collapse

wiki sais nothing about orientations, which, for me, are the biggest issue atm and totaly wasting or making a model work.
    for example upright normal with all origins same way and like in vanilla dae files the clipping is 180 degree rotated to the visable mesh, while both are in same position/orientation in the model, just not in the game. if i rotate the collision and visable mesh 90 degree both (collision/display mesh) are in same position and working in the game... nothing else changed... that does not follow any logic i would be able to see.

9. theWOODman

theWOODman
    Expand Collapse

If I understand you correctly, the Z, Y, axis for dae files are swapped. I use Modo for modeling and in that program "Y" axis is up so in my import options I set it to swap the "Y" and "Z" axis so when I import a dae model it is oriented correctly.

I don't know how you would do that in Blender. Maybe in the preferences menu?

10. MASKED REPTILIAN

MASKED REPTILIAN
    Expand Collapse

set it visable meshes

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice