Unsolved How do I add a minimap to a map?

Discussion in 'Mod Support' started by Joobles, Aug 20, 2021.

1. Joobles

Joobles
    Expand Collapse

Quick question, how do I add a minimap to a map? I tried looking at the official levels and found the minimap file, but not where it is used. Any help would be appreciated!

2. Agent_Y

Agent_Y
    Expand Collapse
    Jbeam/QA support
    BeamNG Team

Have you tried just putting it in the folder and seeing if it will work? Or looking at the core info files?

3. Joobles

Joobles
    Expand Collapse

I looked into everything (I think) and still couldn't find any reference to the minimap anywhere

4. Just Timepass

Just Timepass
    Expand Collapse

There's a minimap app in the app section in the left menu while u play (from where u spawn ur car, that menu).

5. Joobles

Joobles
    Expand Collapse

yeah that shows the minimap, but how do I tell the game to display the image of the minimap? Like
    Code:
    {
      "title": "levels.Cliff.info.title",
      "description": "levels.Cliff.info.description",
      "previews":[
        "Cliff_preview1.jpg",
        "Cliff_preview2.jpg",
        "Cliff_preview3.jpg"
      "minimap": "Cliff_minimap.png"
      ],

or something, just an example

• Like Like x 1
  6. Philipo98

Philipo98
    Expand Collapse

Did you find a solution? Got the same question in mind.
    I looked at the files of jungle_rock_island and saw this line:
    Code:
    {"name":"theTerrain","class":"TerrainBlock","persistentId":"496f9fcc-e4a5-11e7-bbfc-d010411d9a54","__parent":"Level_objects","position":[-1024,-1024,100],"baseTexSize":2048,"maxHeight":200,"minimapImage":"levels/jungle_rock_island/jri_minimap.png","screenError":32,"terrainFile":"levels/jungle_rock_island/jungle_rock_island.ter"}
    "minimapImage":"levels/jungle_rock_island/jri_minimap.png"

First, I thought it was a name convention that automatically loads the _minimap.png for the Navigator.
    So I think the minimap image is deposited in the properties of the terrain block.
    Gotta try this.

//Edit: Go to your Scene Tree, click your terrain block, and then on the properties site you have the option to choose a minimap image. After you have done that, reload Lua with ctrl+L and you see your image in the navigator.

#6 Philipo98, Sep 18, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2021
  7. Joobles

Joobles
    Expand Collapse

Thank you, however for some reason instead of displaying the image it seems to show a "No Image" placeholder instead. Is there something specific about minimaps that the image needs to be?
    noimageiguess.png

• Like Like x 1
  8. Philipo98

Philipo98
    Expand Collapse

Okay got the same problem too. Didn't looked close enough. I tested to load the original minimap.png from east coast USA. So I didn't do anything wrong with the file format or something, but the map is only showing this HTML Broken image?
    Is there any further option to control minimap loading? Didn't find anything at the moment.

//Edit: I found the problem, by default the selector in the properties chooses the path whit /levels/your_level but the minimap only gets loaded if it is levels/your_levels the / has to be removed.

//Edit: So now I only got the problem that my minimap is too small to fit the map. My map is 4096x4096 and I tried a minimap 4096px. and base tex size set to 4096px but the greatest base tex size the navigator is affected by is 2048 since then it isn't changing anymore.

#8 Philipo98, Sep 18, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2021
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice