1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

Hirochi and Ibishu in Japanese writing

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PriusRepellent, Mar 9, 2021.

1. PriusRepellent

PriusRepellent
    Expand Collapse

I've been wondering if there's any canon on how these names are spelled in the Japanese writing system or if the devs have considered it.

2. CaptainZoll

CaptainZoll
    Expand Collapse

From my looking and extremely crude understanding of japanese, "hi-ro-chi" could be written as "ヒロ市" or "ひろち".

However, most japanese car brands in real life don't typically show their brand in japanese, but rather latin/english characters, as they see the automobile as a fundamentally western idea.
    it's sort of like americans naming anything vaguely "classy" after a french town.

3. vmlinuz

vmlinuz
    Expand Collapse

Neither are common Japanese surnames nor are they particularly meaningful as far as I know. とよた (Toyota) can be written in eight brush strokes, a lucky number in Japanese, but the company was originally Toyoda.

Basically they're gibberish - not my job to be offended by it but you gotta wonder if someone else might be? Some of the names in this game kind of ruin the immersion.

4. CaptainZoll

CaptainZoll
    Expand Collapse

as are bruckell, wentward, and cherrier.
    your point?

5. Uzthiudiskazspreko

Uzthiudiskazspreko
    Expand Collapse

Mate, I feel you be somewhat wrong about that. Hirochi can be written ひろち, ヒロチ, 広路, 廣路, as well as other things since ち or チ can stand for many things. However, chi,ち or チ can never be written as 市 since 市 in Japanish/Japanese/Nihongo can only be read as じ, し, and いち.

Saying that their Brands not show up in Nihongo is misleading. Latin/English ABC is only for those who can not read Nihongo, you will not see it for those that can read Nihongo, Zhongwen/Chinese/Chinish, Korean such as in Zhongguo/China, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Macau, South Korea, North Korea, Nihon/Nippon/Japan.
    Toyota is writtenトヨタ, 豊田, 豐田. Nissan is written 日産, 日產. Subaru is written スバル, 昴. Mitsubishi is written 三菱. Daihatsu is written ダイハツ, 大発, 大發. Mazda/Matsuda is written マツダ, 松田. Suzuki is written スズキ, 鈴木, Honda is written 本田, ホンダ. Isuzu is written いすゞ, 五十鈴. Mitsuoka is written 光岡. Yamaha is written ヤマハ, 山葉. Kawasaki is written 川崎. There be many others as well that can only be found written in Nihongo and seldom show up in Latin/English ABC.

Hold on, have i not seen your name somewhere on Reddit inside Regular Car Reviews?

• Like Like x 1
  6. vmlinuz

vmlinuz
    Expand Collapse

immershun

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. CaptainZoll

CaptainZoll
    Expand Collapse

Civetta is "owl" in italian.
    AutoBello is "Beautiful car" in italian.
    Gavril is "Gabe" in latin.
    Cherrier is "Citroen" but with cherries instead of citrus.
    The Burnside, Barstow, Wendover, and Miramar are named after real cities, despite that the game canonically features no real cities.
    where is your immershun now??

• Like Like x 1
  8. vmlinuz

vmlinuz
    Expand Collapse

Utterly ruined, thank you

9. HeadlightsThePerson

HeadlightsThePerson
    Expand Collapse

Gabe is my nickname :D

10. fivedollarlamp

fivedollarlamp
    Expand Collapse

I always thought Gavril was named after Gavrilo Princip

11. HeadlightsThePerson

HeadlightsThePerson
    Expand Collapse

Why would the devs name Gavril after the guy who started a war?

• Like Like x 4
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice