Here are some extra UV maps for the Pickup

Discussion in 'Content Creation' started by torsion, May 12, 2017.

1. torsion

torsion
    Expand Collapse

The Pickup has a complicated UV due to it's multiple bodies (regular, ext, crew). The file currently included with the Pickup does not include all of the UVs needed for skinning the Crew version or the camper shell. Here are all the extra ones which I think you may need.

I am providing all of these UVs in the PSD format. PSD can be opened in all applicable programs:
    • Photoshop (high end, costs money)
    • GIMP (powerful, free in all senses of the word [both gratis and libre], open source)
    • Paint.NET (free as in gratis... not very powerful) I do not support or recommend using Paint.NET, it does not support enough features normally used by graphic artists. It will be frustrating to realize how much time you've wasted.
    • Corel products (PaintShop Pro, PHOTO-PAINT , Painter) If you are using these products you already know why.
    Two versions are included in the zip. I recommend using the "all white" version with any program you want (GIMP, Paint.NET, Photoshop, Corel stuff, etc). The "colorized" version is a demonstration showing all of the extra UVs colored using Photoshop "adjustment layers" with a "clipping mask" applied to each one. With the all white version your screen will typically be too busy with all of the UV layers enabled, so you must turn some off. The colorized version allows you to have more turned on and still tell what you are doing.
    pickup_UVs_colorized.png

GIMP and Photoshop both support layer groups, a feature which is included in the PSD files I've attached. It's quite likely that even with only a handful of UV layers enabled you'll still want to reduce the opacity of some of the layers or groups so that you can see through the UV guides to the work you are doing.

Speaking of groups, there is a top level group and two groups within it. The UV Maps group is obvious, but you might wonder what's up with the group labeled "Danger Zones". That group is to help you prevent ugly artifacts that the game may generate from your skin. When the Pickup was unwrapped for skinning several key areas mapped to very tiny parts of the UV. This means that any specs, dots, or lines in that area of the texture will be STRETCHED across that area of the body in game. As you can see, the entire back of the cab is one of those areas. The top of the bed and the edges of the bedcover are also affected in this way. I recommend either aligning any lines or shapes with the stretch (a stripe that goes the same direction will look fine) or generally keeping anything other than solid colors out of those areas. The Danger Zones group contains all of the major problem areas I'm aware of. They are effectively simple lines, which is why it's so easy to mess up in those areas!
    pickup_dangerzone.png pickup_dangerzone2.png

Workflow: I place my skin below the UVs, the PSD file includes a layer called "Your Skin Here" so that you can see where to work. The file also includes a black "Color Fill" layer at the bottom of the layer stack - this may be deleted or changed to white or another color if you so desire. It's also possible to work above the UVs and there is nothing inherently wrong with that, but it will probably make your life much harder. I recommend simply reducing the opacity of the UVs or turning them off when necessary. (It's certainly necessary when exporting your skin!)

If you wish to use these UVs while making a bright or white skin simply "invert" them in your image editing program. This is CTRL+I in Photoshop or Colors->Invert in GIMP. (In Photoshop I find it easier to use an Invert "Adjustment Layer" with a "Clipping Mask" for the whole group.)

So far I've exported or included:
    • Crew Body (same as the EXT body shown in the pickup_skin_UVs.png file included with the game! I only include it for comparison purposes)
    • Regular Body
    • Crew Rear Doors (these do overlap the C-pillar, that's just how they are mapped.)
    • Camper Shell (overlaps the bed UV significantly)
    • Bed Cover (also overlaps the bed / Camper Shell UV significantly)
    • Danger Zone - Regular Cab
    • Danger Zone - Ext/Crew Cab
    • Danger Zone - Bed (top parts)
    • Danger Zone - Bedcover (side parts)
    • Also included is the contents of the official file pickup_skin_UVs.png. It's setup as a transparent layer like the others and labeled "Official UV".
    Please let me know if you think that there are other useful Pickup UVs which need to be exported. That's the vehicle I'm working on right now - if you need something else feel free to ask, but it won't necessarily get done by me. :)

These are fullsize 4096x2048 UV maps and they have clearly defined lines once opened:
    upload_2017-5-11_20-50-26.png

Attached Files:

#1 torsion, May 12, 2017
    Last edited: May 13, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  2. torsion

torsion
    Expand Collapse

I've updated the first post to include better UV maps and I added some new ones. I have improved my generation process in Blender. I also changed my output from opaque/matted PNG files to transparent layers in a PSD file.

Warning layers are now present for some special areas of the texture which get an extreme stretch (see "Danger Zones").

Everything that you might use to skin over/under a UV should have support for the PSD format. Let me know if you use a serious program which does not.

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice