Help creating a level...

Discussion in 'Terrains, Levels, Maps' started by havocNG, Apr 20, 2022.

1. havocNG

havocNG
    Expand Collapse

I spent 2 weeks making this level, then I added one material to the terrain file and the whole map and 2 weeks worth of work crashed, its seems like the level could no longer find the materials I used to create the level. Someone told me I have to add some files to the unpack folder structure??? Please help before I destroy my computer...not trying to promote my video, but if you look you ll see how much work I put into the level, and I want to re create it for others to be able to download. Please Help!

2. Average Person

Average Person
    Expand Collapse

Did you edit the material json to add the material or just do it through the terrain editor? If you want you could send over the files in a pm and I could check them out and see if I can figure out what this issue is. It sounds like you may have forgotten a bracket or comma in the material file.

3. havocNG

havocNG
    Expand Collapse

Thank You for the reply, I would love to send you the Level files, but out of anger and frustration I deleted everything and decided to start over...AGAIN. But this time I want to learn everything before I create the level again, I was told by someone that after I unpack the level and during the level creation process I have to move my saved levels files over to the unpacked files location. Does this sound correct to you?

4. Andryusha

Andryusha
    Expand Collapse

I follow you on YT but man chill.
    Problems with materials can always be fixed, I had them like 100 times.
    Conflicting maps/vehicles/objects, not cleared cache, typo in materials file (e.g. forgot { or }) and stuff happens.
    Don't destroy your work over a small problem.

5. Average Person

Average Person
    Expand Collapse

Just keep in mind that your map not starting doesn't mean everything has completely broken, it's usually just a small mistake that got overlooked.
    As for how to setup a map what I usually do is make a copy of whatever vanilla map I'm using as a base and put it in the C:/YOURUSERNAME/AppData/Local/BeamNG.drive/Version/levels
    if there isn't already a levels folder just create it, you'll also want to go into the unzipped file and add a random number on the end, its not important we'll be deleting the file later.
    Open up the unzipped file, the file structure should be Renamedlevelname/levels/levelname take the levelname file out of the unzipped file structure and put it in BeamNG.drive/levels and now you can delete the renamedlevel file. Later when we are zipping up the map to upload it here we just put it back in a levels folder and zip it.
    Now that we have our file setup name the file to whatever your level name will be and then we'll use notepad++ to rename all of the paths in the file. I recommend doing it like this: find /OldName/ replace /NewName/. I add the slash on the start and end of each to make sure its only renaming file paths.
    Next go into the info.json and change the title to your map name and put whatever you'd like for the rest, you can also change the preview.jpg so that you don't get confused about which map this is.
    You'll also want to go into main then items.level.json and clear the presitent id so it looks like this "persistentId":"" BeamNG will automatically create a new persistentId for us, we do this to clear all references to the original map, just to be safe you can also go through each file in the main folder and clear all the persistentId's so that each one is unique but I don't know if that's necessary.
    After that the map should be pretty much good to go and again if the map stops loading it could actually just be as simple as a missing comma, If you have any issues let me know.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice