guiderail

Discussion in 'Content Creation' started by moosedks, Aug 14, 2013.

1. moosedks

moosedks
    Expand Collapse

I'm a noob to blender and making this was a pain in the ass. The supporting pole is 31 inches tall and is a 6x8. The metal rail part is 6ft 3in long. I don't know how to texture the wood and galvanized steel yet.
    guiderail.png
    Use it or modify it or anything you want

.blend file too (first time using mega so I think this is the right link but I'm not sure) https://mega.co.nz/#fm4wpkHDwQ

Attached Files:

2. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

Too many edges in the guardrail D:

3. Fundador

Fundador
    Expand Collapse

nice model, wrong section XD
    put it in the showrooms more people will use it :)

4. moosedks

moosedks
    Expand Collapse

I swear I read sometime yesterday morning on a government sight that guiderail and guardrail were interchangable terms, but I think I read it wrong because no where else have I found anyone using guiderail to mean guardrail. Oh well.
    GUARD(shit)raillsspolies.png
    Is this few enough edges? I feel like getting rid of more would start to make it lose shape.

https://mega.co.nz/#fm4wpkHDwQ

Attached Files:

#4 moosedks, Aug 14, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
  5. NkosiKarbul

NkosiKarbul
    Expand Collapse

i would love to have these in modular editions like middle part and 2 ends going into the ground,
    because allways let ur guardrail end in the ground

Attached Files:

• 1671493463-3285483_542-wedic5y5D09.jpg
  6. moosedks

moosedks
    Expand Collapse

Attached Files:

#6 moosedks, Aug 14, 2013
  7. NkosiKarbul

NkosiKarbul
    Expand Collapse

also a second edition of all 3 parts with a double or tribble rail would be sweet, because even while single rails are pretty much standart, at least in germany, they are dangerous for bikers and cabriolets and on racetracks you only have 3-4 or even more rails above each other. :)

Attached Files:

• 2006_05_15_porsche_leitplanke_02_14.jpg
    • 907289613-unfal-aibling-mercedes-cabrio-leitplanke-2P09.jpg
    • Leitplanke.jpg
    #7 NkosiKarbul, Aug 14, 2013
  8. moosedks

moosedks
    Expand Collapse

With the .blend files I think you should be able to make it yourself pretty easily

9. NkosiKarbul

NkosiKarbul
    Expand Collapse

true true :p sadly i dont know how to set it up to be simulated with beams n nodes and as long its not modeled after DIN standart its unsuitable for the german autobahn i plan to model.^^

10. moosedks

moosedks
    Expand Collapse

I think the only things I followed a standard on was the 6x8 wood, the height, and the length between the posts. I don't know specifically how wide that metal part is supposed to be. I know it's supposed to be put away from the main post for some reason, but I don't know how far exactly.

11. Hapistorique

Hapistorique
    Expand Collapse

I'm no expert but using that much polygons on something as small as a rail is overdoing it
    Pretty sure you could do it with less polygons or just make it flat (and use a bump map to make it look less flat, like the side of a container), because the collision mesh will be a rectangle anyway

#11 Hapistorique, Aug 15, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
  12. NkosiKarbul

NkosiKarbul
    Expand Collapse

i would not enjoy a flat model with faked 3d by normal map or whatever.. its the main body you talk about and its near to half as thick as high, thats a little much for a normal map.

edit:
    you prolly could still lower the edges and maybe use a higher phong shading angle if that takes effect, which i assume.

13. moosedks

moosedks
    Expand Collapse

Like I said, you guys can do whatever you want to it. I'm going to work on figuring out the world editor and probably add wood and steel texture to this some time

14. j0pak95

j0pak95
    Expand Collapse

I tested this ingame with my own WIP guardrails.
    Looks kinda cool.
    crash1.jpg crash2.jpg

15. NkosiKarbul

NkosiKarbul
    Expand Collapse

thats a damn big guardrail haha ^^

16. JDMClark

JDMClark
    Expand Collapse

Finally some nice looking guard rails. Would be nice to add the physics to them though. I have a feeling it would be a major hog though.

17. j0pak95

j0pak95
    Expand Collapse

well, that's why its still WIP, im planning to release a modular guardrail pack (so you can resize it easy in the ingame editor, and then add the 'poles?' so they don't look stretched/off).
    also, the polycount of a single guardrail is around 500 poly's, (270 in blender, Collada makes everything triangles), so stretching one up in a long straight could save alot of fps on gpu limited systems.

Thanks! they arn't even textured yet, idk if I want them to be, they look ok.

Physics, It would be possible, if you'd make them low poly and somehow static untill they are touched by a object, wich is out of my capabilitys/not possible in torque. (I don't know).
    Because calculating physics over a racetrack full of guardrails would take alot of processing power indeed.

Also, the LOD for a guardrail can be very low even if you are somewhat close to them, because they look flat when it is far away anyway. and like 4-8 poly's if it is very far away.

----- edit

Actualy, the size of the rail should only be a bit smaller, it looks almost the same as this picture:
    car-vs-guardrail.JPG

#17 j0pak95, Aug 17, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2013
  18. youdidwhat!!

youdidwhat!!
    Expand Collapse

chop shop anyone?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice