GTA 3 Liberty City [Removed]

Discussion in 'Terrains, Levels, Maps' started by swift502, Jun 14, 2019.

1. loba04

loba04
    Expand Collapse

if you play the game on the PStool you can really watch for yourserlf the optimization that went in what was an early ps2 game from a mid-low budget (at the time) developer

2. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

It is indeed incredible, even today this map would be very useful to study by any level designer, all those shortcuts and 'secrets' that you can drive past without realizing, until 5th time on spot, how they made map feel bigger than it is with limiting amount of straights and making leveled up roads etc.

It is like much bigger playground than what you would think that would fit in that space.

Porting this map certainly has taken huge number of hours, some people think that getting 3d model is job almost done, but actually modeling the shape is just a start, UV mapping, putting it together, fixing issues that should not of happen, but from some gremlins decided to make them happen, there is so much other things that take lot of time.

It is really great that you spend your free time with this, map is such important piece of gaming history and yet alone as a sample of great level design, that it can help people to learn how to make great maps even within size limits of BeamNG. Also it is simply lot of fun to break axles too, something I always wanted from original GTA3 :D

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. swift502

swift502
    Expand Collapse

1.1 Released!
    Download

Changelog:
    • Fixed couple of small texture and model glitches that have been bugging me
    Quite probably the last update for this mod. Just like GTA 3 itself, we seem to end up on version 1.1. Been quite a journey. I loved seeing people explore the map and have fun on it.

Just a reminder that the Blender dff importer DragonFF should now be capable to also port VC and SA maps. If anyone wants to give it a shot, I'll be happy to guide them through the porting process. I meant to make a tutorial but there's so many ins and outs that I think it'll just be easier to help you with individual problems you encounter along the way. I'd love to see other maps ported, wish I had the time to do it myself, maybe some day.

Cheers. :)

claude_the_ice_cream_man_by_swift502_d689721-fullview.jpg

#243 swift502, Nov 12, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
    • Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. loba04

loba04
    Expand Collapse

if i saw that scene and happened to be at the Atlantic Quays warehouse in 2001 i would run for my life to get away from that MR: whoopee

• Like Like x 2
  5. STICH666

STICH666
    Expand Collapse

Hey man thanks for all your hard work with this map! I personally have more nostalgia for Vice City but to be able to play around in this place again was awesome.

• Like Like x 1
  6. swift502

swift502
    Expand Collapse

Thanks.
    Vice City could probably be ported in two weeks working on it ~2 hours a day.
    I'm open to guide anyone step by step. I'll even do the initial import, which should take about an hour. The time consuming part is the grunt work, cleaning up geometry, fixing materials and flipping normals and playing around in the BeamNG editor.

• Like Like x 6
  7. swift502

swift502
    Expand Collapse

1.1a Released!
    Download

Changelog:
    • Fixed fog density broken by the HDR update

• Like Like x 7
  8. andrzejserafin5

andrzejserafin5
    Expand Collapse

Very Good.

• Like Like x 1
  9. KrukasKlep

KrukasKlep
    Expand Collapse

Gta 3 was unstable garbage compared to gta vice city

10. MtsMB

MtsMB
    Expand Collapse

Thanks, this map was considered a new era for open world games.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. DankMemeBunny

DankMemeBunny
    Expand Collapse

Congrats, you found a post for when the map had no textures and generally had less work put into it. Nice job.
    Ive played plenty of GTA SA, and vice city but I have to get to GTA 3 after Vice City.

• Agree Agree x 4
  12. swift502

swift502
    Expand Collapse

For reference, this was the video I had put up.

I think the porting process is quite interesting so I put up videos at multiple stages of development. Driving around the map at this stage was already fun, and I wanted to share it.

Also, like I mentioned, it took me about a month to get to this stage. It wasn't trivial.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Deleted member 337571

Deleted member 337571
    Expand Collapse

hmm

hmm x2 (bluebuck spawned like this)

(edit: lol sorry wrong thread)

#253 Deleted member 337571, Jul 18, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2020
  14. JorgePinto

JorgePinto
    Expand Collapse

That's Vice City, not Liberty City, I know that flooded garage pretty well...nothing can be done to fix that BTW, is a known bug.

swift502 decided to not use dynamic water on LC in the end due to this very issue, the good thing is it looks great on LC, since as a starting point, GTA III was never meant to be seen underwater, but VC was, so it was a tough choice, we talked about the matter back on its day, considering what was the best choice for VC.

There are 3 options regarding water:

1. A mesh simulating water. Used on LC. The main advantage is you can precisely adjust the size around areas you don't want to flood, and has low impact on performance. Main issue? It's not water. You can crash though the mesh, and drive below it.
    2. An infinite water plane. Used on VC. Main advantage is that it looks great, interacts as you expect being water, and since it's inifinite, it extends beyond any place you look, giving the same illusion as a GTA game. Main issue...it's infinite in all directions, and there is no way to cut it so it doesn't flood any area below water level, that's also why official maps never feature anything below sea level, it would happen on them as well.
    3. Water blocks. It's a good compromise between 1 and 2, since you can add water blocks which will behave and look like water any place you want, so you don't get flooding and looks well...but you have to carefully adjust the blocks so the waves animations are consistent between blocks, you have to add quite a couple of them so it looks right from a distance in the horizon (otherwise you can see how the sea just ends in thin air) and the main issue...it kills the performance. This method was tested for VC, but it was unplayable and didn't look as good in the distance, and between blocks, even with careful positioning.
    To be fair the issue would look be even worse here, since LC features a lot of tunnels, both for cars and the metro, and they would be rendered useless otherwise...so long story short, choose between flooding, water which is not really water, or an unplayable level running at 10 FPS at best...

15. Crazy Killer

Crazy Killer
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

Anyone know how big is the map ingame? (Like 1111 Mi/yd x 1111Mi/yd)

16. mhegai

mhegai
    Expand Collapse

make a gta 4 version, or anyone else, plz i want it soooooooooo bad lmfao

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Q C.

Q C.
    Expand Collapse

Really great map! One of my favourites! Thank you! Unfortunately, when exiting the map to return to the main menu, the game crashes! Other than that, really well done!

18. swift502

swift502
    Expand Collapse

Sorry to hear that. The map was released some time ago, so it's possible it causes issues in the newest BeamNG version.
    Although maybe contact the support team and ask them what could be wrong. Crash on exiting the level rather than loading it seems rather odd to me.

19. mhegai

mhegai
    Expand Collapse

JUST A REMINDER...

20. carsmin

carsmin
    Expand Collapse

hey,
    the map is so big.
    it will be laggy and hard to make it

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice