Grappling Hook

Discussion in 'Ideas and Suggestions' started by luke198, Jan 23, 2013.

1. luke198

luke198
    Expand Collapse

I know that it is not very realistic, but imagine the fun you could have with one of these!:cool:
    Watch the video, and you will know what I mean.

Please don't misunderstand me. I do not want to see this game turned into a shooter, I am merely suggesting a fun way to mess with the physics in the game.

#1 luke198, Jan 23, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2015
  2. AwesomeSauce

AwesomeSauce
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

This isn't a shooter

Beamng is a vehicle simulator, not a goofy shooter.....:/

3. luke198

luke198
    Expand Collapse

Re: This isn't a shooter

I know that, it was just a suggestion.

4. chainsaw

chainsaw
    Expand Collapse

We could perhaps develop this idea into something like use ropes to tow other cars or pull things around. Or still use the grappling hook, but mount it onto a car so we can shoot it out at another car / object. It would be awesome to use it against the police and wrap it around another police car.

5. Element4ry

Element4ry
    Expand Collapse

We could use "portable" winch or two to put our car back on wheels. If our car ended up upside down, we could place winch nearby, attach its rope to the desired part of the car and then just retract the rope(s). After all, take our winch with us and drive to the sunset.
    The winch which we placed would be unmovable, like it's welded to the surface.
    So, if we place winch on our vehicle, and attach its rope to another, we could pull around the second vehicle or tear it apart if second winch is placed on something solid and attached to the other side of the vehicle we want to destroy.

6. joytech22

joytech22
    Expand Collapse

I can imagine tug-of-wars or multiplayer survival stages in stormy weather, where you have to try and travel along a rocky cliff-side prone to slipping and once somebody slips, the players playing as tow trucks would have to winch you back up or something.

Or you could hook one end of a vehicle to a wall and use a truck and pull the thing to pieces. :cool:

7. Rocking_Star

Rocking_Star
    Expand Collapse

I was originally opposed to this,
    but come to think of it, it's a good substitution of the "mouse-car dragging" that we had in RoR.
    It would help get rid of the "mouse dragging" version bugs, like crazy camera, too hard dragging breaking nodes/beams making it fly to infinity & look weird.

We could also use it to do crash tests like in real life, if we can control the speed the hook retracts at :D

8. gabester

gabester
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Director
    BeamNG Team

Those bugs had nothing to do with mouse dragging and everything to do with the individual vehicle and the instability of the physics in RoR. They are not present in BeamNG.

9. Rocking_Star

Rocking_Star
    Expand Collapse

ooh, ok :p
    Just somehow thought that it might have something to do with mouse dragging since it caused it, but what you said makes sense :)
    It's good that BeamNG shares no code with RoR :D

10. luke198

luke198
    Expand Collapse

But do you like the grappling hook idea? I thought that it would be a fun way to mess with the physics. You could do tug-of-wars, or just rip pieces off of your car.:rolleyes:

#10 luke198, Jan 24, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
  11. GummiFace

GummiFace
    Expand Collapse

This would be cool to use on a crash testing map for example. You attach the car to it, set a certain speed and enjoy the show. :)

Could also be used on a tow truck.

12. Bubbleawsome

Bubbleawsome
    Expand Collapse

There are already hooks, the D15 has one.

13. Trykkestar

Trykkestar
    Expand Collapse

I think it could be cool. If your car gets stuck in a ditch, you could use the grappling hook to pull it out. Or, if you just want some action, you could just attach the hook to the top of a cliff and go bungee jumping. ;) Unfortunately, I think that a grappling hook would be too significant in this game. If it was included in the game, people might focus more on grappling things together (like in Just Cause 2) than actually driving. Plus, it would be an annoying feature for online.

14. Element4ry

Element4ry
    Expand Collapse

It doesn't have to be available online. But offline, in single player game, using winch/grappling hook should stay in decision of players so they can do whatever they want with it. These players who want to drive around and do other things will do so, and others who want to grapple things around will do it too.

15. Rocking_Star

Rocking_Star
    Expand Collapse

If it will be available online, then it should be limited to only our vehicles.
    And it should not have collision, so that a "tripping hook" in the middle of the road doesn't happen.
    (You know, they make the Grappling Hook line stretched across the street & watch people come at speed & unexpectedly have their car go crazy)

16. aguinn99

aguinn99
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

Re: This isn't a shooter

Well, it could be a mod, maybe?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice