1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Before reporting issues or bugs, please check the up-to-date Bug Reporting Thread for the current version.
    0.30 Bug Reporting thread
    Solutions and more information may already be available.

Graphics Optimization? Can we expect DX11 / DX12 / OpenCL?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting: Bugs, Questions and Support' started by randomshortguy, Jul 1, 2015.

1. randomshortguy

randomshortguy
    Expand Collapse

Hello,

I have a GTX 970 and an i5 4690, which is more than enough to run nearly any game at high settings @ 1080p. It is also much higher than the suggested system requirements.

Now, I understand this game is in Alpha. I know, I've been here since before release, and I owned the game very early and still play it to this day. But the framerate is just awful. Most people on Steam who are giving negative reviews are impressed my the physics but can't get a stable framerate on more than decent hardware.

My main concern is that nothing is being done to optimize the game engine; sure, culling maps that don't perform very well is one thing, but in general Torque3D and DirectX9 is just dated and inefficient. To demonstrate, with an overclocked GTX 970, I can't get 60FPS unless I go to low - lowest settings.

Not only that, but the visual effects are really not impressive for the quality of the assets made by the devs; wouldn't ECUSA or Small Island look so much better with hardware tessellation, godrays and a stable 60FPS? Think about the performance, graphical and efficiency improvements associated with a newer DX version.

My Settings:

1920 x 1080
    Borderless
    All settings at "Normal"
    SSAO (quality: Low)
    HDR
    16x AF

no AA
    no DR
    no DOF
    no lightrays

with these rather modest settings, I get lows of ~38 to average of ~50. While this isn't a terrible framerate, there's a lot of stuttering and the change in framerate is very jarring, just panning around the car means a smooth 60FPS all the way to a chugging 45 FPS on most maps.

Untitled.jpg Untitled1.jpg Untitled2.jpg Untitled3.jpg Untitled4.jpg Untitled5.jpg

I opened a thread quite some time ago, and I was told this is normal performance for a GTX 970.

So can we expect DX11 / DX12 / OpenCL? Or am I doing something wrong here?

2. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

DX9 would have to be done T3D side, and is being done. You can hop over to github and the t3d forums to see the odd conversation on it.

3. randomshortguy

randomshortguy
    Expand Collapse

I'm not really looking for a conversion myself, I'm more wondering if I'm doing something wrong, or if any work is going into engine optimization.

4. vladmir poopin

vladmir poopin
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

lol my 970 runs most maps fine at just below 60 fps

5. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Like I said. The optimisation has to happen t3d side.

6. KennyWah

KennyWah
    Expand Collapse

This may be, but have you ever wondered just how well a new render system could improve performance?

a small scale outdated example would be Farcry 2 [despite game breaking memory leak on DX10 after 20min of max quality 1080P gameplay that causes instant shutdown without error]

I have

2gb GTX 770 EVGA with ACX cooler

16gb 1600mhz ram

I5-3570K @ 3.8ghz

Farcry 2 1080P Max settings

DX9 70-100fps

DX10 100-170+ fps and looks slightly better in lighting

Just imagine Dx11 in BeamNG

Dx9 is inefficient in many cases in todays graphics. Dx11-12 could potentially lower GPU overhead.

[Just for example purposes]

At the moment the game has pretty amazing CPU optimization considering 2000update/sec softbody physics that simulate many forces all the time are quite playable on modern pcs.

However the GPU optimization is lacking.

Me, I don't need my tessellations and super ultra mega graphics I would like to have the improved optimization that comes along with it.

#6 KennyWah, Jul 2, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2015
  7. randomshortguy

randomshortguy
    Expand Collapse

Precisely what I am saying. BeamNG could benefit so much from an upgrade from DX9 to DX11, or even better. I opened this thread to ask the community and/or the devs if this is something that could happen.

8. Aboroath

Aboroath
    Expand Collapse

DX11 is aways out from what I've seen and read. Like 6677 says, the conversations don't exactly exude confidence in my view but what do you expect from an engine
    with zero financial backing and all the work on it being done by good hearted volunteers?...(some BeamNG devs included).

9. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

Things are happening under the hood.
    Stay tuned ( ͡~ ͜ʖ ͡°)

(Also, your GTX970 is somehow underperforming. Getting no problems here with a stock GTX970..)

10. KennyWah

KennyWah
    Expand Collapse

I have a 770 and it's under-performing but of course it should on an I5-3570k at times in a game like Beam.. /=

GPU usage as low as 50% at times is understandable.

11. vladmir poopin

vladmir poopin
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

i was thinking that he prolly did what i did to my gt610 and undercloced it

12. Diamondback

Diamondback
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Systems Lead
    BeamNG Team

Yea something is wrong with your card, I have a slightly overclocked GTX 670 and can still get 55-60FPS with maxed settings and no DR.

13. randomshortguy

randomshortguy
    Expand Collapse

Thanks y'all for the help, but I know the card isn't under performing; I originally speculated this, but it's running a stable overclock of 1400MHz (plus 10 milivolts to the core) and I ran several tests on it like Unigine Valley and some other programs and the results were exactly as expected. I can run DiRT 3 on maximum graphics DSR from 4K at over 60 FPS; GTA IV + CryENB runs always a bit over 60 FPS and that's a crap port, and more.

These images were mostly to show lows - maps like Hirochi Raceway always stay above 60 (as long as I don't turn on the headlights)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice