1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Before reporting issues or bugs, please check the up-to-date Bug Reporting Thread for the current version.
    0.30 Bug Reporting thread
    Solutions and more information may already be available.

Graphic settings don't affect FPS

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting: Bugs, Questions and Support' started by mxmaniac6, Nov 19, 2015.

1. mxmaniac6

mxmaniac6
    Expand Collapse

When I play the demo derby mod on high settings I get 18fps. I wanted to get 30ish so I started messing with the graphic settings. I noticed that when I turned things down I was still getting around 18fps. So I stuck it in the lowest graphics setting and I still got around 18fps. I'm very confused as to why this is happening.

2. Scepheo

Scepheo
    Expand Collapse

Because it's not the graphics that cause the low FPS, but the physics. Your CPU simply can't handle four cars at the same time, and no amount of lowering the graphics settings is going to help.

3. pulley999

pulley999
    Expand Collapse

Expanding on that, you have two processors in your computer, the CPU and GPU.

In an ideal use case, both would be used exactly at their limit, though this rarely happens.

Usually, games are GPU bound. This means the CPU completes its tasks before the GPU and is stuck waiting for it before it can start work on the next frame. In a GPU bound scenario you can improve framerate by reducing the graphics settings and thus load on the GPU so the rest of the system isn't stuck waiting for it.

BeamNG is very likely to end up CPU bound due to the physics. In this case, the GPU finishes its work before the CPU, and has to wait for it to finish before working on the next frame. You won't get any benefit from further reducing the GPU's workload via graphics settings, so may as well leave them up. Unfortunately, the CPU workload is relatively fixed, and can't be changed much.

4. mxmaniac6

mxmaniac6
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the replies. I feel like I have a decent enough CPU though to handle this. Its an i7-6700HQ 2.60GHz. Is that not actually good enough? Also, when I play the jump derby scenario i get 18-20FPS and that scenario has 6 cars instead of 4. It feels like i'm capped at 18-20FPS

5. Scepheo

Scepheo
    Expand Collapse

If you haven't tried disabling dynamic reflections (graphics options) yet, try that. Otherwise I think you'll have to post your GPU specs.

6. mxmaniac6

mxmaniac6
    Expand Collapse

I've tried enabling it and disabling it. I get 19fps either way lol. how do i find my gpu specs? sorry I'm still new to pc gaming haha. I know i have a nividia geforce gtx 960m

#6 mxmaniac6, Nov 19, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2015
  7. mumboking

mumboking
    Expand Collapse

You're using a laptop aren't you? They're not ideal for BeamNG.drive.
    The processor just isn't fast enough, as some people said already. Your GPU is fine.
    Try seeing if the power plan is set to High Performance. That could help.

8. mxmaniac6

mxmaniac6
    Expand Collapse

Yeah haha. so far this laptop has ran everything i've thrown at it at highest settings :) its pretty beast for a laptop haha. thanks for the replies tho

9. RobertGracie

RobertGracie
    Expand Collapse

Laptops are NOT designed to run BeamNG drive...look at my computer in my signature that is sort of a top 1% of this forum that can push this game at insane FPS numbers at Ultra settings your using a laptop and thats your problem its a laptop and that doesnt have the grunt required to run this game! (am I being too harsh?)

10. randomshortguy

randomshortguy
    Expand Collapse

Not really that it lacks the "grunt", it has the processing power, but the chip is restricted from running at full potential as it's downclocked and probably thermal throttling. The point is, most games/programs don't work the CPU as hard as BeamNG does, so BeamNG can reveal just how thermally insufficient most laptop's cooling systems are.

• Like Like x 1
  11. stbest95

stbest95
    Expand Collapse

you might want to set your powersaving mode to "high performance" if you didnt already, also try removing the battery and connecting your charger while playing. may do the trick if the laptop wasnt running at full potential.

12. RobertGracie

RobertGracie
    Expand Collapse

The Thermal Throttling is the big problem with Laptops they are not designed to heat up to over 90 Degrees C my own computer runs at a relatively frosty 26 degrees C and it never gets above 30 degrees C on current loads

13. mxmaniac6

mxmaniac6
    Expand Collapse

Yeah thanks guys. The reason I have a laptop is cuz I'm also a student haha. Eventually I'll build a rig tho. Not gonna lie I'm super impressed with what this laptop can handle :)

14. RobertGracie

RobertGracie
    Expand Collapse

My own computer is probably the most extreme you can go for under £3000

15. Clidester18

Clidester18
    Expand Collapse

try reducing resolution that works for me i have a amd A8 4500m with integrated amd 7640g and 8 gb of memory at 1600 and previously 4gb of memory at 1333.
    i could get in the low 30's before the memory upgrade, but that was also before beam.ng was on steam. now i between 10 and 20 full screen at lowest graphics and a resolution of 1600X900

16. gigawert

gigawert
    Expand Collapse

You always take every opportunity to brag about your specs, don't you?

• Like Like x 2
  17. Drivver

Drivver
    Expand Collapse

He's but well nobody cares, I think.

Well check in settings if your 960m is set up as GPU for BeamNG. Then check drivers, not only for GPU, nice program to do it is "SlimDrivers", if that won't help, try to uninstall BeamNG, delete folder with BeamNG at user documents and make a fresh install. If this would fail contact support and give them logs. Also force 64bit and 84bit versions and look if there's diffrence.

18. RobertGracie

RobertGracie
    Expand Collapse

Have you tried the nVidia control Panel option its in the Help section I believe in the game it will sort out the graphics for the game...I remember seeing it a few hours ago

19. fanboyjj

fanboyjj
    Expand Collapse

My asus laptop runs beamng easily

20. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

Laptops are not all the same, specs matter. What are yours?

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice