Getting A PC

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by Jocri67, May 4, 2017.

1. Jocri67

Jocri67
    Expand Collapse

Hello there! I'm looking for some help. I have been saving up for a PC for a while now, and I've started to look at specs.

I bought BeamNG a while back, only to find out that my potato (surprise surprise) runs it like... Well, like you'd expect a potato to run BeamNG.

I'd be interested in knowing what specs I need to run BeamNG on 60FPS with High/Ultra Graphics.

Thank you.

2. BombBoy4

BombBoy4
    Expand Collapse

In my signature I have my specs which run the game at 60fps 1080p max settings with some reflections turned down, to be expected.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Jocri67

Jocri67
    Expand Collapse

So, do I only need a 2GB graphics card?

4. gigawert

gigawert
    Expand Collapse

There's more to a graphics card than its memory size. You'll want a card with GDDR5 and make sure it supports at least DX12.

Also with the build in my signature, I can run 1-2 vehicles on all maps at a constant 50+ fps, with medium settings.

However my build is from 2014 so I would recommend a 6th gen i5, DDR4 RAM, and probably a NVIDIA GeForce 900 series or better GPU.

5. Modem

Modem
    Expand Collapse

depends on how mnay cars you wanna run, if you *just* wanna run beamNG your not gonna need too much power with respect to your GPU. my old 660ti ran beamng just fine on mostly max graphics. as for your cpu your gonna wanna get a high-end intel i5 or a mid to high range i7.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Jocri67

Jocri67
    Expand Collapse

Would something like the i5 4670 be a good processor?

7. BombBoy4

BombBoy4
    Expand Collapse

Yep, for 7ish cars.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Jocri67

Jocri67
    Expand Collapse

Alright, thanks guys. I'll come back later and ask more questions regarding computers if I need to.
    --- Post updated ---
    What do you guys think about the AMD FX-4300?

#8 Jocri67, May 5, 2017
    Last edited: May 5, 2017
  9. Octothorp Obelus

Octothorp Obelus
    Expand Collapse

The FX Series is a little outdated, an AMD A10 would do you good, but beamng runs better on single-core processors like Intel. AMD is into multi-core processing, which BeamNG hasn't hooked onto yet. I suggest an i5 CPU with the type Skylake. i5 are't too expensive and Skylake processors are built around gaming. As for a graphics card, if you are going for budget performance I would get a 750ti SC, which is aound $110 USD right now. If you have a little money left over, I would get a 970 FTW+ 2.0+, which is just below it's more expensive cousin, the 980, in performance. The 970 FTW+ 2.0+ costs $345 - $365 USD right now. I have a 970 FTW+ 2.0+, and I'll tell you that it is definitely worth the price offered for it. I have my PC specs in my signature, but I have an overkill i7 (trust me, an i5 will work fine :)). According to GPUBoss a 750 Ti SC is a 7.2/10 and the 970 FTW+ 2.0+ is an 8.2/10.

10. Jocri67

Jocri67
    Expand Collapse

Alright thanks. The thing is, I live in Finland and everything is overpriced here..
    --- Post updated ---
    Though, I have been considering getting a PC from Germany.

11. Octothorp Obelus

Octothorp Obelus
    Expand Collapse

If you wan't to compare:
    CPUs
    GPUs (psst... EVGA is the provider you want to choose because they make the highest quality for some discounts in price)
    HDDs/SSDs (psst... Western Digital makes some of the best hard drives ever. Also HDDs will last longer and are more reliable than SSDs)
    --- Post updated ---
    It's always best to buy the parts and build it yourself, even if you need help from a friend to put it together (not saying you do, cause I don't know if you do or not).
    Usually prebuilt PC companies throw in extreme prices. Alienware, for example, would charge $2000 USD for the build I have now even though it only cost me $1300 USD total.

12. Jocri67

Jocri67
    Expand Collapse

Thank you for the tips. Also, for the 'build it yourself' part, I most likely won't. Even if the German site I would order from puts a little extra price in there, I would still get it cheaper than in Finland.

The German site also lets you build your own computer. Unfortunately I do not think that they offer Skylake processors. I also noticed that getting an FX processor with the same specs as an i5 would save me 100 bucks.

So, should I get an FX (They have Quad-, Hexa- and Octacore processors) or should I pay 100 more for an i5? After all, I'll be playing other games than just BeamNG.

13. gigawert

gigawert
    Expand Collapse

lol what he didn't mention is that Beam will run at about 4 fps

14. Octothorp Obelus

Octothorp Obelus
    Expand Collapse

It depends what you are going to use it for. If you want fast processing that is mainly multi-core, go for the FX. If you want fast processing that is single-core go for the i5. It all depends on needs and budget honestly.

15. Jocri67

Jocri67
    Expand Collapse

Alright, I have made three options, I need your help people:

be quiet! Pure Base 600 orange

Intel Core i5-7600K, 4x 3,80GHz

Intel Standard Cooler

ASUS H110M-Plus, Sockel 1151

Palit GeForce GTX 1050Ti 4GB

8GB Crucial DDR4-2133

1TB Western Digital WD Blue SATA III

500W be quiet! System Power 8 80+

This one would be €965 = 1060 USD

My other option is cheaper:

AMD FX-8300, 8x 3.30GHz

AMD Standard Cooler

ASUS M5A78L-M LX3, Sockel AM3+

8GB Crucial DDR3-1600

1TB Toshiba SATA III

420W LC-Power LC420H-12

This would be about €790 = 870 USD

I know that the FX-series isn't the best, but they're so much cheaper than intels, and we gotta remember that I don't have unlimited money.

But then, I have an option which I personally think would be the best. I was actually only supposed to have two options, but then I found out that I could do this:

AMD A10-7870K BE, 4x 3.90GHz

AMD Standard Cooler

Gigabyte GA-F2A78M-DS2, S. FM2+

8GB Crucial DDR3-2133

1TB Toshiba SATA III

500W LC-Power LC500H-12

This one would be €830 = 910 USD
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    I already have a gaming mouse, but all of these computers would also include:

-A gaming keyboard

-Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit

-A 19 inch Asus LED monitor

----------------------------------------------------------------
    Also you might notice that I absolutely love the 'be quiet! Pure Base 600'

16. Octothorp Obelus

Octothorp Obelus
    Expand Collapse

I like your final choice, but anything below 70 in NVIDIA's graphics card listings are optimized for video rendering and work. I suggest either 1070 or 1080 Ti if you really wanna spend that much. That being said I do not have a 1050, so I do not know how they perform, exactly.

17. Jocri67

Jocri67
    Expand Collapse

I made some research and the 1060 is quite a lot better than the 1050ti. It is 50 bucks more, but if I pick that card I would also get the game 'For Honor' (I am looking at these parts from the german site), which I then could sell to get some money back. I think I know what I want, now I just gotta wait until I have enough money. I only have half of what I need, but I could possibly have my new PC at the end of the year...
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Thank you for helping me guys. I didn't expect to get this much support. I'll come back to this thread if any more questions pop up in my head.

18. BombBoy4

BombBoy4
    Expand Collapse

No, my i3 can run about 7 cars at 30fps.

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

the amount of misinformation in this thread is unreal.

• Agree Agree x 7
  20. Narwhal

Narwhal
    Expand Collapse

nonononononononononono. PLEASE FACT CHECK. holy crap.

Intel has better single core PERFORMANCE than the AMD FX series.

SSDs have a limited number of times you can write. Any normal consumer will likely NEVER hit that rate though. SSDs are just as reliable as a reputable HDD, if not more.

stop spewing crap unless you know what you are saying

@everyone in this thread. Before taking ANY random persons advice online to heart. FACT CHECK. see if they are correct

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice