General discussion

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic' started by Car crusher, Apr 4, 2014.

1. SuperNoob05

SuperNoob05
    Expand Collapse

I had the weirdest dream ever.
    It was like a normal day, but everything was changing colours and just doing weird things.
    When somebody said something it was very distorted and barely understandable.
    I don't think anyone can get a weider dream than that.

2. IBsenoj

IBsenoj
    Expand Collapse

sounds like acid.

3. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

I just set a reminder with my voice using cortana. Its response after the reminder was set with no mistakes was "well that worked out nicely", even cortana was celebrating when it figured out what i wanted first time :p

4. HadACoolName

HadACoolName
    Expand Collapse

Just started watching 'Stalker' and thought to myself, "This is actually a great show, I wonder when season 2 airs". Did some Googling only to find its been cancelled. Why does this always happen to shows I take interest in. :mad:

5. n0ah1897

n0ah1897
    Expand Collapse

So I just got my new laptop in the mail yesterday. I can already say I absolutely love it. It will be perfect for college. It's a Dell Inspiron 13 7000 series special edition. It has an i7-5500U, 256gb SSD, 8gb RAM, and is a folding 2-in-1. I also picked up the Dell Active Stylus for note taking. The stylus is amazing. It is awesome for photoshop and onenote and I think I prefer using it over a mouse. Now I'm just trying to upgrade it to Windows 10 :)

6. SuperNoob05

SuperNoob05
    Expand Collapse

I've just messed around a bit with the (as I call it) "draw anywhere you want" feature for edge, and it's quite fun to mess around with.
    I actually think that it's better than paint for just making sketches and drawing around.

7. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

I use a wacom graphics tablet with my tablet and its pretty neat. I really wish the tablet had digitiser support built in. Make sure you try out the handwriting recognition since it can be really nice, for me i like it cause it means i can go without a keyboard but for you it just offers more input methods.

8. Occam's Razer

Occam's Razer
    Expand Collapse

Best Buy is really testing my patience. I took my computer in to get a graphics card installed, and was told it would probably be done within a matter of days (since it was, in their words, just a hardware installation). That was just short of three weeks ago.

Apparently, they keep getting crashes when attempting to start the computer up. They've already had to restore it to factory defaults, but that was a week and a half ago. When asked last Sunday, they said that they would be calling me the then-next day. Three days later, still no call.

I'm between jobs and need to send off my resume just to have a chance at an interview, with bills piling up in the meantime. I've got two freelance contracts, at least one of which is not waiting for this to end. And I'm going stir-crazy without any constructive medium for personal projects (and yes, this whole thing is holding back some stuff for Beam). And if the card install ultimately fails, I'm looking at a net loss for getting the computer serviced at all.

9. logoster

logoster
    Expand Collapse

i just like asking cortana questions to see what kind of answeres i get

particularly halo questions, or questions about competitors

10. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

Why did you take it to Best Buy for a GPU upgrade?
    You basically asked for this to happen.

11. Occam's Razer

Occam's Razer
    Expand Collapse

When I say that I don't know anything about computers, the subtle implication is that I don't know anything about computers.

But in answer to your question, there was a ribbon wire coming out of the card. I imagined that it is supposed to be plugged into the power supply, but [this being a prebuilt computer] there were no open slots available in it. I say again, I don't know anything about installing or servicing computer hardware, so I figured any attempt to rectify the problem myself would probably have ended in failure. The way I saw it, if I took it to someplace that at least professes to know something about computers, they would be liable for any damage done to the machine. I guess I didn't account for them stalling to no end.

12. Cwazywazy

Cwazywazy
    Expand Collapse

Why didn't you just do it yourself? It really isn't that hard or time consuming at all.

13. Occam's Razer

Occam's Razer
    Expand Collapse

Stated in the post above yours. I got the card into the slot, but it needed power directly from the power system via an attached wire. The wire couldn't reach it, and there were no visible slots available. Also, 'hard' is relative. When you don't know anything about a certain subject matter, you're more likely to turn to others than try to chance it yourself.

---Edit---

Yeah, the computer in question came from them originally. Overpriced, but fairly capable and very enduring. I will mention that we dropped off my mother's computer at the same time as mine. It was crammed with a colorful medley of viruses, spam, and toolbars aplenty, and they called within five days to let her know her computer was fixed and ready for pickup. I'm a far cry from happy with them, but they seem to do an acceptable job. Selectively. Very selectively.

#18693 Occam's Razer, Jul 29, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
  14. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Best buy is worst place to go though. Better luck with independant outlets really, usually they know what they are doing. Best buy literally have people with less knowledge than you do working the tech support.

15. redrobin

redrobin
    Expand Collapse

There are power extensions you can buy for that. Even my computer illiterate friend installed his own GPU.

You didn't do research or attempt it yourself. You could have done no harm. Frankly, sorry to say, you deserve it.

16. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

Well i would have hoped that they would have spent 5 days or less to wipe the disk and reinstall windows. Assuming they wiped her pc it probably only took them 5-10 mins of active work.
    In the future take your PC's to a decent PC shop if you need to get someone else to do work on it. They might actually give a damn and will probably do a better job as a result.

PS- Install anti virus on mothers pc, something like avast free would probably do the job.

17. Occam's Razer

Occam's Razer
    Expand Collapse

There are a few computer shops in town. My experience with them is sparing, but should I need to do anything like this again, I'll be turning to them sooner. That said, I can't be faulted for thinking that local computer shops may not be the best first resort. This is an area that contains persons brandishing the confederate flag on their pickups.

I did: Graphics-Card-Installation-Help

And while that may have been sparing, I had been advised that a Best Buy install would not necessarily be the bane of my existence. And I'm pretty sure it was someone on this site (though I can't recall who). More to the point, though, I would have ended up taking it to Best Buy anyway, since the card would have (in the best case scenario) failed just as it did for Geek Squad. Lastly, I can't do much research on how to go through with this process without another computer. I'd have to research the process, try the install, and, failing that, reinstall the original graphics card to get the info again. And without a camera, I can't document what may have gone wrong.

Avast? Noted, will pass along. Thanks.

18. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

So my luck with women.

Have 1 try to get with me that I turned down, I knew all about her game and the multiple other guys she was cheating on simultaneously. Lost all respect for her actually. Happen to know she was in it for the bed action, would fool a few guys into relationships and effectively cheat on them all. If she wanted sex, she should have just been upfront, I have no respect for a cheater and while I'd never myself engage in a FWB type relationship I'd certainly prefer that to being cheated on.

Friendzone. Not escaped, never going to try to escape, dislike even calling it that now. Just see her as a close friend so nice and happy there. At least been told that I'm a nice guy that many women would be happy with but that I've taken as friend being nice.

The lesbian friend that turned around and said she'd be all over me if she was into guys, so maybe the previous wasnt just being nice, and besides, slutty bitch went for me. Tbh, while I call her a friend, I think her and I would have way too many falling outs in a relationship anyway.

So much success.

And then there was the time I was groped, by a guy. I and heterosexual and even if I wasn't then that was so uncomfortable that any guy trying to get with me would have been rejected 100 times over.

19. CaffeinatedPixels

CaffeinatedPixels
    Expand Collapse

Removed old thermal paste, applied the new stuff, run the stress tests, it's good for now (still gonna buy a new cooler to replace the stock one), time to play games, right?

Headset broke, no left ear sound. Fuku, Logitech.

20. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

i haven't even bothered with any of that yet, For me due to already stated reasons i am always in "the friend Zone" (technically) which can be a little bit difficult on a personal and moral level. That's not to say I Find every one attractive but it does mean that basically every one is out of bounds So all I can do is move along and surpress any emotions that I may have. Its Kinda soul crushing to know that the likely hood of me finding someone who I like who also likes me is very slim, at least in my current surroundings. Even if it were the case that someone else had feelings for me how would I even know? The uncertainty is a killer because there is alway that hint of "maybe its possible" left in your head despite knowing that in reality that it simply wont be the case. So yeah, things are difficult, but thats life i guess.
    I am just happy to have people who i can be friends with because in the end being friends with people is pretty awesome anyway.

Then again I haven't actually talked to anyone properly in real life for about a month now. which is why I have been quite active on the forums recently. Also means that I have been able to spend some quality time with my steam library :p

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice