General computer talk/advice

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by BlueScreen, Jan 25, 2015.

1. cameron4me

cameron4me
    Expand Collapse

Well your GPU, the 7770 isn't a very powerful graphics card being a couple of years old, but it is good for someone on a budget but at 1080p, 1GB of VRAM isn't enough for good performance but BeamNG isn't as dependent, as much, on the GPU, it more focused on the CPU. But your CPU, or APU, is good for a AMD processor in terms of single core performance which, for 1 vehicle, is what this game really counts on. Being the best AMD, it still falls behind on Intel, I would this website that shows where this CPU is at compared to other AMD processors and Intel CPUs: http://www.cpu-world.com/benchmarks/AMD/A10-6800K_single.html that is for single core performance.

Look, just try to make something of what I just said, it's all good but I'm too tired to make sense with the whole English thing.

2. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Its far from best AMD, A10s are slower than FX clock for clock, they just dont have the additional crippling of the siamese twin cores.

Its a mid range rig at best.

3. cameron4me

cameron4me
    Expand Collapse

Don't the A10s have 1 FPU per core? I thought that made it better than the FXs that had 2 cores- 1 FPU.

4. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

"They just dont have the additional crippling of siamese twin cores"

Ignore dedicated FPU and they are slower than FX. They are not high end.

5. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

As soon as I get my new case I'll have a spare case. I think I'll throw my Athlon 2800+ and ATI 9250 in there for another old PC. Because why not. Should be able to play old games, the 9250 is probably better than the iGPU in my Q6600.

I actually have an old case right now, with the P4 in it, but it's an absolute pain in the arse to build in.

I should also try to get another 1GB stick of DDR2-800 RAM to put in my Q6600 PC. Right now it lags terribly if I open more than 5-6 tabs in Chrome, or 2 tabs and Steam. It's actually a pretty decent CPU for a browsing/light workload PC so with 2GB I might even be able to sell it.

6. SuperNoob05

SuperNoob05
    Expand Collapse

Use the case with the P4 as a cooking machine :p

7. Kitteh5

Kitteh5
    Expand Collapse

AGAIN!?!
    DSCN0518.JPG
    Clicked on "Ask me later" and it booted up as normal, genuine and everything.
    Must be a Monday.

8. Cwazywazy

Cwazywazy
    Expand Collapse

Sounds like someone used an OEM key with a different computer than it came with..

9. Kitteh5

Kitteh5
    Expand Collapse

The asshole who installed it....

10. Cwazywazy

Cwazywazy
    Expand Collapse

That's what you get for letting random people work on your stuff.

I'll sell you a working key for $20. (If I liked you, it'd be free.)

11. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

Anyone here have any experience with CPU coolers on graphics cards? I might do it with an old Radeon 9250 and a stock AMD socket 754 cooler just for the keks.
    I just have no idea how to attach it. I thought of drilling two holes through the CPU cooler to match the mounting screws for the GPU's heatsink, is that a good idea?

- - - Updated - - -

inb4 key is already used

scam wars: beamng edition

12. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Beamng scam?
    God no.

I've had enough of the cwazy vs kitteh argument as it is.

13. Cwazywazy

Cwazywazy
    Expand Collapse

Zipties. Lots of zipties.

Also, I have a Bizspark account which gives me access to a limited number of keys. (Like 5 keys for each edition of Windows 8 and 8.1. I only get like 2 per edition of 7.)

14. randomshortguy

randomshortguy
    Expand Collapse

I've done this to a 8800 GTS for a server NAS that just needs something to play videos and run a big display, and I had it all stuffed in a small case with no fans. I can't remember the exact heat sink, I think it was an aftermarket PIII heat sink that was just screws into sheet metal with electrical tape to prevent shorts. Zip ties gave it structural integrity.

15. Cwazywazy

Cwazywazy
    Expand Collapse

An 8800GTS.. On a PIII heatsink..

Did it catch fire? I had one. Ran right about 200f with aftermarket paste under full load. (Really good space heater. Like, nothing else comes close.)

16. NaxNir

NaxNir
    Expand Collapse

i have a intel hd 1000 and its good graphics card becuase its 1000 (greater than 980) and people say the 980 is gud why do i get 0.1 Ferst Person Shoters (FPS)es

17. Cwazywazy

Cwazywazy
    Expand Collapse

You gotta do the driver dance.

18. cameron4me

cameron4me
    Expand Collapse

I've always wanted an old PC, just for messing and gaining experience with computers. If it were for sale I would buy it just for shits and giggles but unfortunately I live a few thousand miles away from you. I would do it to my PC but I don't trust myself with my PC, I would ending up spilling Coke Life on it or something, consequently causing me to end up with a £700 door stop.

19. randomshortguy

randomshortguy
    Expand Collapse

(Un)fortunately not, though it had no thermal paste. I ran my old AMD Sempron 3600+ with the stock cooler NO THERMAL PASTE and it topped out at 70°C, it is technically better to have metal-to-metal contact but surface scratches and a curved surface ruin the conductivity; I, however, still stand by my decision as the CPU never has previous paste on it, and as you probably know AMD has a giant flat IHS.

It was also actually a 8600 GTS, not an 8800. my mistake.

20. Cwazywazy

Cwazywazy
    Expand Collapse

8600GTS makes a lot more sense. And, yeah, if the surface is PERFECTLY flat on the IHS and the heatsink then a modern CPU would be fine with no thermal paste. (After lapping my CPU I ran it without paste and the temps were fine. Better with paste though.)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice